Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Marks Mix

DOWNLOAD HERE

1. Lights Out Asia - Roy

2. The Daysleepers - Threnody

3. Near The Parenthesis - A Little Damaged

4. Grouper - When We Fall

5. Idaho - To Be The One

6. Have a Nice Life - Bloodhail

7. Film School - Sick of the Shame, Part Two

8. Jeniferever - Ox-Eye

9. epic45 - Winterbirds

10. This Will Destroy You - They Move On Tracks Of Never-Ending Light

11. Vessels - Yuki

12. Carissa's Wierd - You Should Be At Home Here

Enjoy :)

1. Lights Out Asia - Roy 9/10

I came buckets. Bootyful.

2. The Daysleepers - Threnody 8/10

This was also awesome.

3. Near The Parenthesis - A Little Damaged 8/10

Very nice. Liked it a lot.

4. Grouper - When We Fall 8/10

Ditto really. Nice little track.

5. Idaho - To Be The One 7/10

Nice lead guitar. Liked this as well.

6. Have a Nice Life - Bloodhail 8/10

Awesome guitar sound. Love a birrof Shoegaze myself. This was awesome. Great bass. Falls short of 9 for being a bit long.

7. Film School - Sick of the Shame, Part Two 7/10

Nice and chilled. Bit long again but liked the end.

8. Jeniferever - Ox-Eye 6/10

Didn't do a whole lot for me, but nice still.

9. epic45 - Winterbirds 8/10

Thought this was veeeehgood. Really liked it.

10. This Will Destroy You - They Move On Tracks Of Never-Ending Light 7/10

Very nice once it got into it.

11. Vessels - Yuki 8/10

Not mad on the vocals but really like the music. Loved it when it built up in the middle.

12. Carissa's Wierd - You Should Be At Home Here 7/10

Like the vocals and piano. A good end.

As is usual for one of Marks mixes I haven't got a clue what are the song titles and who are the artists!!!

1. Lights Out Asia - Roy

bloody good song when the vocals finally appear but it takes so long to get there I nearly lost interest and they they vanish as quickly as they appear

follows on well from the previous track but just fails to get going for me

just doesn't get going for me

again a real slow mover... now it's not that I don't like this mix so far but it's very mood orientated album and after finishing work is probably not the right environment if it was say 3am in a darkened room after hitting a bong all night, laid on the floor staring into nothing this album would be immense!!

5. Idaho - To Be The One

I like this one vocals all the way through may have helped.

slow mover again but this one alright

you must be so laid back it's untrue chilled and hypnotic not a bad song just need the right environment.

8. Jeniferever - Ox-Eye

quite like this one

9. epic45 - Winterbirds

chilled and relaxing

I think I like this one (ish)

11. Vessels - Yuki

again far to chilled for me a the minute a pretty good song though

I had an error on this download but I can guess the route it was going down!!! :D

In conclusion Mark you have done something unusual in the fact that you have made a mix that at this current moment it time passed me by a little BUT in another time and place this album would be amazing I am going to have to listen to this album again but maybe late at night, in the dark but minus the bong

Thanks for the reviews both, one positive and one not so :P But yeah I think you're right Jay with the late at night thing.

I'm back to review this. It's dark, the lights turned down and headphones on... perfect. I'm still bummed about you having the same idea as me though :P

I wrote most of the review during the first listen and it was quite interesting to see how my perceptions and opinions had changed the second time around for some songs.

1. Lights Out Asia - Roy

Sounds not unlike Nosound, especially the middle part, which is definitely a good thing! Didn’t expect any vocals to appear, not sure what to think of them, but they did give some variety to keep the song going for that long. Will try and look into these.

I thought the ‘down-the-tunnel’ sound would become annoying, along with the vocals, but it grew on me. The drumming seems a bit dodgy during the second part, but I only found it a minor distraction. The ethereal sound really has this strangely compelling effect.

The first couple of minutes remind me a lot of Trentemøller and his deceptively complex atmospheric almost-background songs that can be very soothing. It went on for slightly too long, but that’s probably because I’m listening to this in the middle of the night, and all the attention is on the music, making it very intense. The slow pace combined with the frenetic electric sounds is something I’m not used to and found very interesting about it.

This on the other hand was a bit boring. I don’t think the drowsy vocals did enough to carry the song, and well… the vocals apart this doesn’t offer much with the same monotonous chords repeated over. Would’ve maybe liked some more strings in this…

5. Idaho - To Be The One

I’ll admit I had difficulties catching the rhythm in the vocals-only passage, which was a bit frustrating. I started thinking they were trying a bit hard to sound different, but the warm sounds of the piano and the guitar meant there were some lovely passages in there that I enjoyed.

I like that groovy bass! Again not sure about the vocals (‘arrowheads’ over and over in particular sounded very iffy). It feels like I’ve heard this before too, the structure being a bit predictable. I enjoyed this more the second time around. I really like beautiful vocal harmonies, and the ending here throws up a few moments of ‘ahhh’ (for lack of any better expression to describe it with) despite the ‘arrowheads’ thing.

I can feel it’s starting to get a bit much, so didn’t initially warm to this. But after a few listens, I actually think this stands out slightly from the previous songs. It’s simple yet there are plenty of sounds in there to captivate the listener. The vocals are better in this too. How is ‘part one’?

8. Jeniferever - Ox-Eye

The ending of this stood out, in my opinion. It kind of passed me by until the uneasy last minute crescendo almost, which I think was excellent. On second and third listen, most still passed me by with the exception of the bass, which I found really prominent and dynamic throughout. Despite them being Swedish, I’m not surprised I’d never heard of them before. What’s your own opinion of them?

9. epic45 - Winterbirds

This lacked a bit, and was a bit much I think. The tingly sounds that begin around halfway through was probably what threw me off. The rest wasn’t bad really, it actually fitted nice with the sun getting up an ‘all! :)

For what it was, I don’t think it justified going on for seven minutes. I don’t like saying it, but it did sound rather pretentious to me. Now if this is a song about the dead mother going towards the light or something and actually has genuine emotions attached to it from the artists’ point of view I’ll gladly retract such a comment (although in that case it’s rather cheesy).

11. Vessels - Yuki

Already a lot more interesting. I like the piano and the way it changes, but the spaces in between are a bit long for the first part of the song. The electro bits remind me of the third track on this mix, nice little (intentional?) throwback there. The culmination captivates and adds focus on the final part which is quite clever I think. Would like to here more of these guys.

Didn’t expect you to recycle a band you’ve used before after claiming you have 1000+ artists in your library! Leave that to those that don’t know a truck load of obscure bands, like me :P

Unfortunately, I wasn’t convinced by this effort. Enjoyed the Piano Song from your second mix more. Maybe it’s the male voice that’s the problem, but I can’t say anything in particular stood out in this song. I’ll keep it and see if that changes the next time I listen to it.

----------------------

Once again there was plenty of interesting stuff in your mix, which I had hoped and come to expect. I don’t know how you find the time to look into all these different bands, or indeed acquire their music. Surely some of it is extremely obscure, no? Anyways, I liked tracks 1, 3, 7 and 11 and would obviously appreciate if you could give me some tips on what more of those artists I should check out :thumbup:

[dig] Despite what Finnegan thinks, I do appreciate it when people take time (sometimes lots!) and effort to piece together a mix they want to share with others. I don’t see why that is in any way condescending or dismissive [/dig] ;).

So thanks, Mark :P

1. Lights Out Asia - Roy

Absolutley beautiful. A stunning piece of music. 8/10

I liked it quite a lot. 7/10

Beautiful again. A good chillout tune. 8/10

Again very relaxing and peaceful. 8/10

5. Idaho - To Be The One

Awesome. A definite keeper. 8/10

Cracking bass in this. Another top song. 8/10

It was alright. Nothing awesome, but nothing bad. 6/10

8. Jeniferever - Ox-Eye

Loved this a lot. One of the best on a very good mix. 9/10

9. epic45 - Winterbirds

Very nice. What else can be said? 8/10

Didn't do a lot for me. Not a bad song though. 6/10

11. Vessels - Yuki

Stunning. Loved every second of it. 9/10

Great ending to this mix. 8/10

Overall verdict - Absolutley amazing mix by Mark. Discovered a lot of new stuff, and certainly broadened my horizons musically. 8/10

1. Lights Out Asia - Roy

Nice little opener here, although I can't help but feel it's a little too long perhaps. Grows as it goes on though, particularly at 3:46 when it breaks out properly.

Although I think it works well after the last track, it just doesn't really get me going in any way.

Again, another one really that doesn't particularly inspire me in any way and never really gets going.

Echoes the previous few tracks really

5. Idaho - To Be The One

Yeah this is more like it. Slightly Coldplay-esque in my opinion, which bodes well for me.

Finally some action! Enjoyed this one a lot, made by that pulsing bass throughout the whole thing. Although the rest of the song was a little disappointing after the initial lure of the introduction, I thought it was pretty good.

Much like the first few tracks on the mix really for me. I think Jay nailed it when he said you have to be in the right sort of mood to listen to music like this, and unfortunately it's just going straight through me right now!

8. Jeniferever - Ox-Eye

Appears as though I already have a track from these courtesy of the Indie/Rock playlist for May. Sweden seems to produce some very talented artists in this area of music, and these seem to be no exceptions. Grows and grows as the song moves on into something that's actually really enjoyable. One to keep here, hopefully I may stumble across it again one day.

9. epic45 - Winterbirds

The introduction here is beautiful; the acoustic guitar and its harmonics are brilliant. It was a little bit repetitive though for me, although given that it's under four minutes long I think it can be excused...

A bit more interesting than some of the earlier tracks, purely for the fact that I liked the guitar in this one.

11. Vessels - Yuki

And just when you thought it couldn't get any more chilled?... Mark I'm practically horizontal listening to this mix now. It's a better song than I'm probably giving it credit for actually, builds up nicely towards the end. This track grew on me a lot actually, I might keep this one too.

Already got one Carissa's Wierd song, which admittedly I don't really like. I'm really struggling to work out who exactly this reminds me of right now (possibly slightly Conor Oberst?), but I like it anyway. Like the vocals, and like the guitar. A good ending here Mark, another track to add to the library.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I definitely enjoyed this mix much more than your previous ones Mark, but I can't help but feel as though it's a little too chilled out? :D Particularly enjoyed the Jeniferever, Idaho, Have a Nice Life and Carissa's Wierd tracks, they're ones to keep for me here.

1. Lights Out Asia - Roy

Not a bad piece of music, but found it too long and I zoned out completely at one point and didn't realise i'd got repeat on and it was playing again. 5/10

Has a slight hypnotic effect on me. It's Saturday afternoon and I'm feeling a little sleepy, not good. Or maybe this song is just boring me. Gets a bit better when it wakes up a bit about two thirds in, but I still didn't really enjoy it. 2/10

Was never gonna stick 6 minutes of that out, moved on just after 3. Again feels like nothing's really happening, and I'm not feeling this at all. Definately not my type of music 2/10

:/ ...Finding this very monotonous at the moment if I'm honest...hard to distinguish between the first four songs. None have them have done anything for me except try to put me to sleep. 2/10

5. Idaho - To Be The One

Slightly better in my opinion, more in the song to get into. 5/10

I groaned slightly when I saw this was another 5 min+ song, but I gave it a chance. The introduction promised quite a lot, but it never really delivered. The vocals sound like they don't belong on the song....don't think they fit with the music well at all. Decent beat to the song though. 3/10

5 mins+ again >_<...the length wouldn't be a problem if I could get into these songs, but I'm just not. A bit frustrating. 3/10

8. Jeniferever - Ox-Eye

Found this a bit better, again it was looong. Gets going really nicely towards the end, which is a plus. 5/10

9. epic45 - Winterbirds

A lot better. Every sound works together and it just fits, really well. Plus it's shorter than most so far, so it's easier to listen to from my point. Loved the intro, but 1 minute+ was too long and it became a bit repetitive. Doesn't really develops into anything, though I suppose that would defy the objective of this song. As a nice, chilled out tune - it's decent. 7/10

Parts of this are quite nice, but 7 minutes? Waaaaaaay too long. Also not quite getting the point of the song, again doesn't do anything for me really. 3/10

11. Vessels - Yuki

The tune's quite nice, although I feel like I'm clutching at straws trying to find something that I like. Around 3:20 it starts to build up and I was hoping it would develop into something, but it just fades out again. Disappointing. 3/10

This starts off as a very decent song, and something I feel I can get into, needs something else though. Length is a problem again.

My review does come across as quite harsh, but I've been brutally honest and judging by this review, along with your review of mine, we clearly have VERY different tastes in music. I appreciate the intention to create a chilled out and relaxed mix but it didn't really do anything for me and an average of 5 minutes per track was way too long.

That said, from others reviews I could tell it works for them and therefore it should go down as a successful mix. On wmp I listen to my 'recently added' quite a bit which mainly contains stuff from this CD swap, so now and again when one of these crops up I'll give it another listen...maybe at some point I'll grow to like this sort of thing.

Clearly a lot of thought put into it, and I thankyou for sharing ;)

Oh dear! :cry:

May I deserved that after my review on yours :P You're right in that our tastes are probably the complete opposite, some songs are lengthy but its worth sticking them out. Maybe it was too chilled out but that was the idea behind this one. ;)

Thanks anyway, and Joe and Granno (glad you liked).

Worth the wait?

1. Lights Out Asia - Roy

I liked this as a bit of ambient trance... but then the voacls came in and it was like waking up from a pleasant snooze. Disappointing.

A bit of shoegazing is always going to be appreciated by me! Reminds me of Slowdive in particular, which can't be a bad thing, can it!?

() Or not :P Just a bit of a bit of a bit of a bit, is all I have to say on that one.

Are they on 4AD? They sound like a 4AD band, but a 4AD band's filler track from this effort. Promising... show me more, but try harder!

5. Idaho - To Be The One

Not bad as the old mid-west ... actually, as I'm listening to this now I'm changing my mind - his voice bores me. Next!

Joy Divisionesque bass (Peter Hook is my stand out bass icon - not especially talented, but incredibly cool!) Goes on too long and the vocals are weak. Also doesn't seem to know if it's goth or shoegazing. I'm not sure the two genres mix too well.

Shades of early MBV, and I can offer no greater compliment. Nice, trippy and etheral.

8. Jeniferever - Ox-Eye

I'm sure I've heard of these somewhere before. For me, this was the worst track on this mix. Did nothing for me.

9. epic45 - Winterbirds

A smidgeon of Stone Roses in there. I like, I like a lot!

Too ambient - I sense I would need to be really, really out of my head to appreciate, but as I listen to it right now (and I could be really out of my head (I'm definitely VERY tired!)) I'm liking it more. Yeah, cool.

11. Vessels - Yuki

Pleasant and the kind of thing I can see myself chasing up in the future.

I enjoyed this but it went on far too long and killed the whole thing. Like eating Death by Chocolate.

Cheers Mark, stuff to follow up when I can afford it, as always :thumbup:

1. Lights Out Asia - Roy

I like this, reminds me of M83.

Passed me by a bit, which is understandable. Sadly with these swaps I don't get as much time these days to listen to them repeatedly first to form a proper opinion.

Somewhere in between the last two.

Passed me by again.

5. Idaho - To Be The One

This little collection of songs will be great, cos there'll be one or two which will pop up in the future and I'll love, I'm sure. As a continuous thing to listen to, tough to get excited about.

Liked the intro, interesting song. The bass is great.

Really liked this.

8. Jeniferever - Ox-Eye

Didn't like this one. I hate short reviews but it's a bit too sparse for me to just sit and listen to it. I keep drifting onto doing other things and then realising it's still on, going back and working out which ones I've liked and disliked. lol

9. epic45 - Winterbirds

Passed me by again.

Similar to #7, liked it a lot.

11. Vessels - Yuki

Yeah, pretty good.

Hmm, okay.

I liked it, just tough to review individual songs when it flowed so well and they were fairly similar so hard to distinguish between them when doing other things at the same time. Enjoyed it a lot.

1. Lights Out Asia - Roy

Proper closed eye headphone music. If the rest of the mix is like this I'll be pretty happy as this sort of music deserves a place in my collection, at the minute I have very little of it. Good start. 7

I get the impression post-rock or whatever you want to call this can sometimes be very shit and you've managed to sift through the shit to get to the gems. Similar to the first track, floaty, meandering, melancholy music with a touch of the epic about it. Enjoyed this as much as the first one. 7

It's an interesting sound but that's all I can really think to say about it. Feels like a filler as opposed to a proper track. Ahh, it is now starting to build slightly... that was a long introduction! Getting better but still feels like it's leading somewhere without really ever getting there. 6

Not so keen. At least it's not generic though. It's unique but it doesn't do anything for me. 5

5. Idaho - To Be The One

This sounds more promising. Very nice piano and a good vocal. I rarely enjoy male vocals (with obvious exceptions) but this is one is quite pleasant. As far as this type of music goes I like it but I doubt I would listen to it again. 6

More floating, shimmery music... however I don't really like it. This feels only slightly further up the musical ladder than some of the teenage angst crap at the start of NSSL's mix! Not too keen although it does get better towards the end. 5

Hmm, I enjoyed the epic feel to the first two tracks but now things seem to have become a little too reserved. This song is a bit too gentle for me, I'm starting to want something with a touch more bite. Nice, soaring guitars later on though and actually as I write and listen the track is growing on me. 6

8. Jeniferever - Ox-Eye

The vocal annoyed me a bit and this is maybe a bit too similar to what I've already heard so I'm struggling for things to say. It was ok. 5

9. epic45 - Winterbirds

It's getting a bit samey now to be honest. You'll probably say the same about all the stuff I'll be inflicting on you in a few weeks! Like Fez said sometimes it's a little too easy to let these tunes slip by. It's really very nice music but as a track on its own it maybe struggles somewhat. Still, enjoyable. 6

Love the beats in this one. This is a very beautiful piece of music. Slow but engaging at the same time. 7

11. Vessels - Yuki

Ahh piano again. I do love a bit of piano. This was decent. 6

Wasn't so sure about this one. 5

========

If you take the average of my scores you'd probably get about 6, maybe less. But overall I have to say this compilation is a lot better than that. Fez said it earlier, this really is a journey compilation and probably one of the best I've ever heard in terms of a collection of songs as opposed to any one individual track. I would (and probably will) happily listen to this, preferably on my headphones in the dark and I will thoroughly enjoy it. Thanks Mark.

Overall 7

Listened to this again last night, and what a grower it is! I'm enjoying quite a few of the tracks that didn't win me over the first few times I heard them. Brilliant mix, Mark :thumbup:

This Will Destroy You, Have A Nice Life, The Daysleepers, Jeniferever and epic45 tracks in particular. Unfortunately Carissa's Wierd (who you seem to rate a lot), Grouper and Idaho tracks still leave me a bit cold...

Archived