Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wooly

Ipswich Town Away

You do have a point of course. I'm not looking forward to being seriously gouged for a ticket to the Toon although perhaps it's just double standards on my part that I'm willing to pay more to see Newcastle v Leicester than I am to see Ipswich v Leicester.

However, consider the recent respective histories of the two clubs. Newcastle have been a top flight side playing in a top class stadium for the past decade and half, Ipswich have neither of these characteristics. I don't like the fact that Newcastle will inevitably shake us by our ankles for every last penny, but I can understand why a club like Newcastle are charging over the odds more than I can a fairly middle of the road club like Ipswich doing it.

Like I said, I can see both sides :thumbup:

You do have a point of course. I'm not looking forward to being seriously gouged for a ticket to the Toon although perhaps it's just double standards on my part that I'm willing to pay more to see Newcastle v Leicester than I am to see Ipswich v Leicester.

However, consider the recent respective histories of the two clubs. Newcastle have been a top flight side playing in a top class stadium for the past decade and half, Ipswich have neither of these characteristics. I don't like the fact that Newcastle will inevitably shake us by our ankles for every last penny, but I can understand why a club like Newcastle are charging over the odds more than I can a fairly middle of the road club like Ipswich doing it.

At the end of the day, we are being expected to pay for their ground redevelopments (of which we see no benefit at Dipswich), for their stupid transfer fees and their silly wages. Again, this is not for our benefit.

I shall be going, but I will be paying student price for this. Swivel on that, tractor turds.

At the end of the day, we are being expected to pay for their ground redevelopments (of which we see no benefit at Dipswich), for their stupid transfer fees and their silly wages. Again, this is not for our benefit.

I shall be going, but I will be paying student price for this. Swivel on that, tractor turds.

Ditto.

Firstly, Craig - thanks for linking us to this thread, it is impossible to read every thread across several message boards, so would have missed this one

We will get involved, currently working out the best approach (useful knowing what others have already done via this thread) in terms of planning. Will post again next week

Yep. It's the paradox of modern British football. You spend your whole time supporting your team's attempts to acheive something which will ultimately ruin your enjoyment of supporting that team.

Sums it up beautifully

As soon as you hit the premier league these days you're expected to pick up your Sky remote and kick back from there. Hope it never comes for us.

I really hope nobody off here attends this one, obviously there will be 500 die hards attending whatever but the only way they'll listen is fans not turning up. I honeslty think our 2,000 average away ends last season were helped by many tickets being under 20 nicker.

And as Screnchel said paying Ipswichs prices will only make decent clubs like Sheff United re-think their pricing structures.

Loaded Dog and Jeff Stelling all the way for this one.

It's not even that hard for me to get to and it's going to cost over £60 just for a ticket and travel! And afternoon with Stelling it is.

In a way I see why people could boycott, but you can bet your bottom dollar that if the Toon prices are the same, people will be all over it.

Ah but it's a different game I hear you say. It's not, it's a Coca Cola Championship game that the lads need support at.

The reason I was keen on the Toon was because I fancied a night out in Newcastle. Sky have gone and ruined that one though.

I have vented my spleen and asked for justification of their pricing structure.

My email has been "forwarded for comment".

My email has been "forwarded for comment".

I got a reply to my outburst, pretty much what the other guy got.

Dear Ashley,

As per Football League regulations we apply the same pricing to away supporters as we do to our own supporters in equivalent areas. We grade matches at Portman Road and the match against Leicester has been set at B grade prices.

I cannot comment on prices at other clubs as they all make their own decisions on grading and prices.

Yours sincerely

John

They don't really have to justify it though do they? By paying the money you'll effectively be doing it for them...

It's true, but of course, like every other club, we have a section of fans that will go no matter what. I'd say I was one of them last season and the season before, but it's becoming ridiculous now.

Sorry Lisa but we both know the only real way you can stop this happening is by not going...Complaints mean sweet FA to them.

Use you feet. Don't attend! Simple. Go and actually enjoy your saturday for half the price.

Sorry Lisa but we both know the only real way you can stop this happening is by not going...Complaints mean sweet FA to them.

Use you feet. Don't attend! Simple. Go and actually enjoy your saturday for half the price.

Just like one vote doesn't get your party of choice elected, whether Lisa goes to the game or not will not change Ipswich Town's pricing structure in future. Effectively she'll just be missing out on a game it looks like she wishes to attend.

I say this because I will probably end up doing the same, and not at student prices either.

It's true, but of course, like every other club, we have a section of fans that will go no matter what. I'd say I was one of them last season and the season before, but it's becoming ridiculous now.

Yeah I'm in the same boat mate. Whilst I haven't really lost any enthusiasm for it by any means, I just refuse to be held to ransom for a game of football. It's disappointing.

They don't really have to justify it though do they? By paying the money you'll effectively be doing it for them...

Just like one vote doesn't get your party of choice elected, whether Lisa goes to the game or not will not change Ipswich Town's pricing structure in future. Effectively she'll just be missing out on a game it looks like she wishes to attend.

I say this because I will probably end up doing the same, and not at student prices either.

I don't feel as much of a hypocrite, as we shall be paying student prices, even though full adult prices at some games are lower.

I have also taken a slightly different tack on my email. I have asked why they charge at the levels that they do, and given that it will be for players and the ground, how can they justify it on that basis, especially the latter, when the Cobbold Stand is one of the worst in English football, let alone the Championship. I've also questioned the selling arrangements, more expensive tickets before releasing cheaper seats, although I realise others have also asked the same question.

I don't expect a different response, but if you don't ask, nothing will happen.

I've also emailed City; if Dipswich are going to be tossers, how likely are we to reciprocate?

When I send my off in a minute, it's the same tact I am going for. It's all well and good moaning about the price but we need to ask why do they justify it. For example, Cheltenham was £18 (in a modern new stand to boot) regardless of the divisional gap, a near 100% rise is scandalous.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I understand that the Football League markets itself as the Fans League and appreciates that supporters who keep ticking the turnstiles over at all levels of the Football League. Given the welcoming nature of many League One clubs last season as we won the league, I was looking forward to promotion into the Championship with a re-established love of the game. At grounds such as Hereford and Cheltenham despite the gulf in class, opposition supporters were happy to drink in local bars together pre and post match and provide affordable tickets which led to many sold-out away end's. It was no surprise that when facing clubs away from home towards the end of the season, at Leicester there was a real scramble for tickets as the days spent in the towns and cities were enjoyable regardless of result.

I am disappointed to report that the optimism I have and shared amongst my fellow fans has already evaporated on the declaration of Ipswich Town's pricing policy towards away fans. Last season, I paid £15 to watch us at Stockport County in an away end with no roof yet on the same weekend this year, Ipswich Town are charging us £31 a ticket. Ok there's a roof and it's higher class of opposition but this does not warrant a 100% plus rise. Given Ipswich's geography, it's already one of the more expensive away grounds in the division, it was going to be an expensive afternoon but it's simply not sustainable for myself to spend that amount of money given we play Sheffield United three days later which is priced at affordable £19 plus easy to travel given the transport links and I can even make it after work.

Whilst I acknowledge that the Football League may have little control over the pricing of tickets and the decisions which lead to them (I have e-mailed separately to Ipswich Town to question this). My anger is concentrated on the fact that Ipswich Town initially sell their 1900 allocation in the Upper Tier of the Cobbold Stand priced at £31 and when this is exceeded, the tickets for the lower tier are available and these come at the more affordable price of £26 (which in turn is near one pound equal to the amount for the away end at my own club, Leicester City). Given the Football League's advertising itself as a Fans League, could you please follow this up with more authority than a few enraged football fans will. It appears to me certain sections of the footballing world are becoming increasingly economically out of touch with it's support and that's not just in the Premiership.

Given that the Football Leagues stepped in with Derby's pricing row with QPR. Here's an e-mail to them.

Also sent an e-mail to WSC in hope that if ignored by the clubs and body. Hopefully we can put off fellow fans from attending Portman Road this season.

EDIT: Already got a reply, I missed the deadline by a couple of days. However, they would consider it for publication but with obiviously a few edits due to the next issue being published after the fixture's taken place.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I understand that the Football League markets itself as the Fans League and appreciates that supporters who keep ticking the turnstiles over at all levels of the Football League. Given the welcoming nature of many League One clubs last season as we won the league, I was looking forward to promotion into the Championship with a re-established love of the game. At grounds such as Hereford and Cheltenham despite the gulf in class, opposition supporters were happy to drink in local bars together pre and post match and provide affordable tickets which led to many sold-out away end's. It was no surprise that when facing clubs away from home towards the end of the season, at Leicester there was a real scramble for tickets as the days spent in the towns and cities were enjoyable regardless of result.

I am disappointed to report that the optimism I have and shared amongst my fellow fans has already evaporated on the declaration of Ipswich Town's pricing policy towards away fans. Last season, I paid £15 to watch us at Stockport County in an away end with no roof yet on the same weekend this year, Ipswich Town are charging us £31 a ticket. Ok there's a roof and it's higher class of opposition but this does not warrant a 100% plus rise. Given Ipswich's geography, it's already one of the more expensive away grounds in the division, it was going to be an expensive afternoon but it's simply not sustainable for myself to spend that amount of money given we play Sheffield United three days later which is priced at affordable £19 plus easy to travel given the transport links and I can even make it after work.

Whilst I acknowledge that the Football League may have little control over the pricing of tickets and the decisions which lead to them (I have e-mailed separately to Ipswich Town to question this). My anger is concentrated on the fact that Ipswich Town initially sell their 1900 allocation in the Upper Tier of the Cobbold Stand priced at £31 and when this is exceeded, the tickets for the lower tier are available and these come at the more affordable price of £26 (which in turn is near one pound equal to the amount for the away end at my own club, Leicester City). Given the Football League's advertising itself as a Fans League, could you please follow this up with more authority than a few enraged football fans will. It appears to me certain sections of the footballing world are becoming increasingly economically out of touch with it's support and that's not just in the Premiership.

Given that the Football Leagues stepped in with Derby's pricing row with QPR. Here's an e-mail to them.

A valiant effort, although I can't see it making much of a difference. In the Derby/QPR case, wasn't it Derby who challenged the prices and not just the fans? Our club don't seem to be that bothered that it's fans are getting ripped off.

I can understand why many wouldn't want to pay such a hefty price for this fixture. However, I'm going to take full advantage of the student price while it's on offer, and therefore plan on attending this game. After taking inspiration from syston_fox last year, I've committed myself to finishing this campaign with 100% attendance, which is therefore another reason as to why I'm attending this game.

I'm with Granno on this one, I can see the arguments as to why people would and wouldn't want to attend this match. Therefore there won't be any complaints from me if only 500 Leicester fans attend this match (for once :P).

A valiant effort, although I can't see it making much of a difference. In the Derby/QPR case, wasn't it Derby who challenged the prices and not just the fans? Our club don't seem to be that bothered that it's fans are getting ripped off.

Yes, Derby County supported it's fans and the FL stepped in. Where as City are strugging their shoulders. The club should be moaning at Ipswich for not getting the cheaper tickets in the lower tier.

My comments at Ipswich have been sent to the relevant department.

It's about time that fan group stepped forward who were more pro-active and pro-fierce with their views than those current hanging on to the club.

Yes, Derby County supported it's fans and the FL stepped in. Where as City are strugging their shoulders. The club should be moaning at Ipswich for not getting the cheaper tickets in the lower tier.

My comments at Ipswich have been sent to the relevant department.

It's about time that fan group stepped forward who were more pro-active and pro-fierce with their views than those current hanging on to the club.

Yeah, like that'll happen any time soon. :rolleyes:

Archived