Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lillehamring

Great Forgotten Brit Pop Albums....

ok, seeing as a lot of us are of 'that age' and depressingly indie in our tastes, for many of us our 'swinging 60s' was the brit pop era, and for those young uns that have grown up with their parents music seeping through, it is clear that the 90s music scene had some very special moments and music...

every one knows 'parklife' and 'definitely maybe'.... but what other hidden gems or forgotten masterpieces would you give special mention to...

so, in the spirit of nostalgia and/or discovery, sing the praises of those records that never got the praise or exposure they deserved:

so to begin with...

Dubstar - 'Disgraceful' - 1995

161536_1_f.jpg

with it's pseudo-cutesy sleeve (look closely :blush: ) and girly vocals it is easy to discount this as sugary nonsense, and as such seemed to be overlooked and discarded. but one listen will reveal that this stephen hague produced masterpiece is a real treasure...

not one weak track and still fresh nearly 15 years later.

great melodies, subtle instrumentations and clever chords, not-too-serious dub style and genuinely brilliant lyrics, this is a record that every fan of quality 90s music should, if not own, then at least own

- a sadly forgotten classic.

It took them a big effort in order to have their first album released. No record company wanted to touch it, so the young group of four from the Hounslow GTL area issued "Expecting To Fly" on their own label in 1996 and it promptly kicked the much-hyped "What's The Story, Morning Glory?" off the top spot.

7af96d1f11a0cab5759e7d487a715888.jpg

The Bluetones stand for the catchy part in "Brit Pop" that can easily get out of hand and leave you back with an overly sweet aftertaste as well as a headache stemming from repetitious choruses and song patterns. It's like a piece of Black Forest Cake - one piece, two pieces? Alright. The whole thing, though, can hit you badly on your stomach.

The Bluetones, centered around the Morriss brothers (Mark and Scott), comes along as a survivor of the good old times, some ten to fifteen years ago. They tend to be easily forgotten because they came through in a time when it was all Blur vs. Oasis.

Thoughtful lyrics, catchy riffs and memorable melodies. That's the Bluetones.

both good examples, cheers...

only ever heard a 12" of northside, very baggy - 'shall we take a trip' class tune...

the bluetones, kinda filled the gap left by the roses hiatus, i rememeber hearing their first single in the car on a pitch black country road, just outside wigston.

think this will be played next :D

Peak of britpop for me this.

true, but perhaps a bit too succesful, for this thread - i'm thinking more about stuff that many people may not have heard (and yes, i know that dubstar were in the charts, but...)

so, i'll throw in this gem by Stereolab:

61mmWbkmQIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

true, but perhaps a bit too succesful, for this thread - i'm thinking more about stuff that many people may not have heard (and yes, i know that dubstar were in the charts, but...)

Yeah, well as I've got said Dubstar album I assumed it wasn't that obscure (stares across the room at pile of obscure CDs from the 90s) :doh:

EDIT: and besides, that one wasn't that successful - it was Different Class, their next album, that launched them into the public consciousness (and therefore, as always seems the case, mediocrity)

Having said that, if you can have Sterolab as Britpop, then I'm having this!

Lushgalalpcoverjpg.jpg

:P

oh, ok, point taken, i adored lush, saw them at the poly, class...

doesn't have to be purely brit pop, just 90s indie really...

I was never a fan but I did like some tracks off this album and I think it was the start of the whole brit pop thing:-

200px-Suede.jpg

heres one everyone will hate but I liked em, maybe it was the whole mod thing:-

Menswear

pcy3gd311v0r13v3.jpg

ha, don't start me on menswear, we were always bumping into them at smashing :cool:

R-442414-1181970608.jpeg

I'm sorry, but I think the original cover of the Dubstar album is much ruder. This was in the shops, completely uncensored for months before anyone noticed it was a bit naughty. I bought it the week it came out and I didn't catch on, what a daft sod.

smartcv.jpg

I thought Sleeper were ace until I reached the age where I was slightly less of a cretin, which is when the merits of the likes of Kingmaker and Shed 7 were put into a bit of perspective.

About the only things I ever listen to from that era are the first Supergrass and Bluetones albums. I saw them perform a joint gig in 1995. That was ace. It's always been a mystery to me why Supergrass aren't more popular than they are. Their last album (which came out last year) is great

• 2 weeks later...
Dubstar - 'Disgraceful' - 1995

not one weak track and still fresh nearly 15 years later.

great melodies, subtle instrumentations and clever chords, not-too-serious dub style and genuinely brilliant lyrics, this is a record that every fan of quality 90s music should, if not own, then at least own

- a sadly forgotten classic.

Fantastic album - you've absolutely nailed it with those words. I still listen to it loads.

His'n'Hers

An absolute classic.

My own offering:

154f7e94.jpg

1991 debut from Bob, Pete and Sarah.

Perhaps not Brit Pop, but certainly very Brit pop.

Fantastic album - you've absolutely nailed it with those words. I still listen to it loads.

An absolute classic.

My own offering:

154f7e94.jpg

1991 debut from Bob, Pete and Sarah.

Perhaps not Brit Pop, but certainly very Brit pop.

:thumbup:

great shout, beats and samples and sarah cracknell, mixed into a wondrous pop song cycle...

Archived