Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

"Where are the great new guitar bands?"

It's a valid question, and it's pondered here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11664781

I might re-phrase it a bit and say 'where are the not shit new guitar bands?' because I'm not that greedy.

I'm not sure I agree with the argument that guitar music has run its course and that people want exciting new non-guitar sounds, because that smacks of making different noises for the sake of it. You can just as easily create something derivative and tiresome using the very latest technology, its merit or otherwise lies with the person making the music.

The Pigeon Detectives, The Fratellis, The Enemy, The View, Editors and The Courteeners are listed as examples of 'landfill indie' and I cannot really argue with that because I think they're all crap, and if that's the best guitar music has to offer then I can see why folk are deserting the genre in droves.

What do the lovely chaps and chappesses on FT think, then?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11664781

I might re-phrase it a bit and say 'where are the not shit new guitar bands?' because I'm not that greedy.

I'm not sure I agree with the argument that guitar music has run its course and that people want exciting new non-guitar sounds, because that smacks of making different noises for the sake of it. You can just as easily create something derivative and tiresome using the very latest technology, its merit or otherwise lies with the person making the music.

The Pigeon Detectives, The Fratellis, The Enemy, The View, Editors and The Courteeners are listed as examples of 'landfill indie' and I cannot really argue with that because I think they're all crap, and if that's the best guitar music has to offer then I can see why folk are deserting the genre in droves.

i like the pigeon detectives, the enemy, the view and editors.

The genre's being killed off by people my age's taste for shit music (N'dubz etc.)

iThe genre's being killed off by people my age's taste for shit music (N'dubz etc.)

How does people liking a certain genre kill off another genre, I cant stand N Dubz but this just seemed a daft thing to say.

More on topic though, If I'm gonna listen to anything with guitars in it, 90% of the time itll be at least 20 years old, aka Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Co.

How does people liking a certain genre kill off another genre, I cant stand N Dubz but this just seemed a daft thing to say.

More on topic though, If I'm gonna listen to anything with guitars in it, 90% of the time itll be at least 20 years old, aka Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Co.

people keep listening to that genre of music, musicians realise this and start producing music in that genre simply because they'll make more money therefore people start to stop producing another genre of music so that genre slowly dies out.

Load of Rubbish in my opinion

yeah you have loads more choice and music has changed and adapted but their are plenty of killer Guitar bands about at the minute. If you wanna talk big bands you have the Foo Fighters selling out 2 65000 capacity shows in a matter of hours. Muse selling out stadiums.

I saw The Black Keys last night and they totally blew me away, seeing The Gaslight Anthem next week another band that really excites me from a musical perspective.

So many great bands around and the way people listen, discover and understand music is totally different these days. Radio 1 is an outdated and unfashionable station these days with very little say in music and the charts is a pointless institution these days. gone are the days they could make or break and artist

Don't want to turn this into a thread about Editors, but as a guilty pleasure of mine they don't deserve to be lumped in with that lot of shite. They have 3 albums all with a different feel and I feel they've had a good effect on pop personally. No jangly guitar to be seen in their latest effort. e.g. this synth track is pretty much the apex of the style of the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6QKPv53VdY

Don't want to turn this into a thread about Editors, but as a guilty pleasure of mine they don't deserve to be lumped in with that lot of shite. They have 3 albums all with a different feel and I feel they've had a good effect on pop personally. No jangly guitar to be seen in their latest effort. e.g. this synth track is pretty much the apex of the style of the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6QKPv53VdY

No I think you are spot on Editors are totally different to the likes of The Pigeon detectives and The Enemy. They are an exciting and progressive band each album is totally different to the last they move, develop, take on new styles of music, production and so on.

Load of Rubbish in my opinion

yeah you have loads more choice and music has changed and adapted but their are plenty of killer Guitar bands about at the minute. If you wanna talk big bands you have the Foo Fighters selling out 2 65000 capacity shows in a matter of hours. Muse selling out stadiums.I saw The Black Keys last night and they totally blew me away, seeing The Gaslight Anthem next week another band that really excites me from a musical perspective.

So many great bands around and the way people listen, discover and understand music is totally different these days. Radio 1 is an outdated and unfashionable station these days with very little say in music and the charts is a pointless institution these days. gone are the days they could make or break and artist

This is true. However the likes of the Foos and Muse are increasingly disappearing up their own backside, churning out more and more familiar/safe tunes in the manner of rock bands in the early to mid 80s that nearly killed the genre then. Fortunately Nirvana came along, blew the socks off everyone, and life was breathed once again into the lumbering monster. All it would take is one band.

I too will speak out in defence of Editors. What have they done wrong? Not spectacularly brilliant I grant, but better than the "not shit" that you ask for. I'm going to see Interpol later this month - another good guitar band. I rather like the XX too.

I've scanned the article in question and it's written by someone who equates musical quality with chart success. I know you don't believe that BS.

But I do get what you mean, there needs to be some getting through, even if it's the crapper end of the genre, just to keep "the kids" aware of it. But like I said, end of the 80s, charts dominated by SAW and House music - all it took was one band to put rock back on the agenda. :thumbup:

There are loads of bands out there, they're not all dropped in to people's laps and they can't be bothered to do the digging, so they just say that the genre's being killed or there are none. Appalling article. 

Also, all these Indie-pop style bands aren't the only type of guitar bands. 

This is true. However the likes of the Foos and Muse are increasingly disappearing up their own backside, churning out more and more familiar/safe tunes in the manner of rock bands in the early to mid 80s that nearly killed the genre then. Fortunately Nirvana came along, blew the socks off everyone, and life was breathed once again into the lumbering monster. All it would take is one band.

I too will speak out in defence of Editors. What have they done wrong? Not spectacularly brilliant I grant, but better than the "not shit" that you ask for. I'm going to see Interpol later this month - another good guitar band. I rather like the XX too.

I've scanned the article in question and it's written by someone who equates musical quality with chart success. I know you don't believe that BS.

But I do get what you mean, there needs to be some getting through, even if it's the crapper end of the genre, just to keep "the kids" aware of it. But like I said, end of the 80s, charts dominated by SAW and House music - all it took was one band to put rock back on the agenda. :thumbup:

In all fairness, I should probably have edited (no pun intended) The Editors from that list (which I copied from the article) as they've got a lot more about them than the others, despite being a little over-earnest for my liking

A little off topic but reminded me of a thread started on another board I looked at

Topic:Could it be that rock music sucks and the demise of the record industry is great?

"The record industry has single-handedly created the rock phenomenon and overshadowed "serious" music.

Not only that - some popular music has started to actually replace art music in the perception of some people as an elevated art form.

As in, "The Beatles are the best thing ever to happen to music".

Are they?

I don't think so.

I mean, I'm a Beatles fan, but they are a rock band, a bunch of spotty teenagers doing drugs, having sex and having fun writing simple 3-minute songs and good having them in our popular culture.

It's great that kids listen to the Beatles, buy a guitar and start their own band.

But what if the Beatles start overshadowing Monteverdi, Handel, Purcell, Poulenc, Dowland, Holst, Stravinsky and all these clever lads?

I mean, they are not in the same ballpark.

What if 3478897834 kids pick up guitar and only 12378 learn to play piano and a mere 3 or 4 attend composition classes?

Could it be that an industry who has given mythical status to spotty teenagers and made trillions of dollars over simple 3 minute songs written for kids actually NEEDS to shrink considerably in size and have less money?

Ne-Yo is a cool guy, but there's no way he can make 10 times what Benedetti Michelangeli earned, (adjusted for inflation, that is).

Small bands can't make a living anymore by writing 3 minute songs?

I'm sorry that they can't realize their childhood dream orf becoming famous rockstars, but haven't we got ENOUGH 3-minute pop songs to last for another 600 years?

Don't you think the whole rock thing went way overboard?

Now, where did I put my DCC Doors?"

Link http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=232454

Tons and tons of great guitar bands coming out of America at the moment. We seem to trade slack periods where it all becomes very conservative.

A few great guitar based songs from the last year or so off the top of my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAitZuh4ueg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU3lpywOhAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Ji05Bd-t0

Oh and a surprisingly good British album this year

Tons and tons of great guitar bands coming out of America at the moment. We seem to trade slack periods where it all becomes very conservative.

A few great guitar based songs from the last year or so off the top of my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAitZuh4ueg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU3lpywOhAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Ji05Bd-t0

Oh and a surprisingly good British album this year

True the music scene in the US seems to be steadily getting better, it was for long periods much worse than over here, the record companies in the US still have a problem backing new talent unless its safe and cloned off other successful bands thats why a lot of US bands till come over to the UK.

Not at all original, very like early Nirvana, but I love it.

saw that at the Bodega a few weeks ago they are a bit like a a grunge tribute band really and the current drummer looks a bit like a young J Mascis as well

Dinosaur-Pile-Up.jpg

Good live band, and a fun album aswell,

Seen them twice now, impressed me first time but weren't so hot next time. Getting quite a lot of hype at the moment though so I think they're probably going places over the next year. Big fan of their recorded stuff from what 've head, need to get hold of the album really.

Nothing wrong with The Courteeners, Foals and Editors all quality bands imo. There have been some good new bands releasing stuff the last couple of years, Bombay Bicycle Club, Maccabees, Two Door Cinema Club are 3 bands who I'm a massive fan of and have released some good albums. The problem is there is nothing "great" coming out. There are some good songs coming out but nothing new or that you havent heard before. However these things come in cycles, the last couple being The Libertines then Arctic Monkeys so there should be something good round the corner hopefully. :thumbup:

Guest BlueBrett

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-11664781

If you like guitars theres only one thing for it..get into Metal!! :punk:

The majority of 'indie' bands just use them as props.

Archived