Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

• 2 weeks later...

My son has his first ever amateur boxing bout, in Nottingham in March.

He's just come back from Rome after a bit of warm weather training.

It's only small time stuff...3 x 2 min rounds..but I've never seen him looking so trim.

The whole family has got a table near the ring..all in aid of Cancer Research U.K.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It's only small time stuff...3 x 2 min rounds..but I've never seen him looking so trim.

The whole family has got a table near the ring..all in aid of Cancer Research U.K.

That’s brilliant Col, I returned to the ring and went and did the white collar boxing thing a few years ago. It’s a great night. Keep reminding him to jab and move his feet to keep his opponent at bay - he’ll know in the last round if the time is right to push on for the KO!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

That’s brilliant Col, I returned to the ring and went and did the white collar boxing thing a few years ago. It’s a great night. Keep reminding him to jab and move his feet to keep his opponent at bay - he’ll know in the last round if the time is right to push on for the KO!

Nice one Nick.

Yeah this is the white collar malarkey too. Our kid used to be trained at Chris Pyatt's gym, so he knows a thing or two about jab and move.

I'll report back on how he does.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Nice one Nick.

Yeah this is the white collar malarkey too. Our kid used to be trained at Chris Pyatt's gym, so he knows a thing or two about jab and move.

Good luck to your lad Col :thumbup:

Is he a heavyweight like his old man? :D

35 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Nice one Nick.

I used to do a bit with Carl Gunn who was cornerman/trainer I believe for Pyatt and Sibson.

He once told me I was the second best boxer in Leicestershire. I paused and wondered quite why he’d think that, then he said “Well every time I put you in the ring, you come second”

Bastard. ? 

Let us know how your lad gets on buddy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I used to do a bit with Carl Gunn who was cornerman/trainer I believe for Pyatt and Sibson.

He once told me I was the second best boxer in Leicestershire. I paused and wondered quite why he’d think that, then he said “Well every time I put you in the ring, you come second”

Bastard. ? 

Let us know how your lad gets on buddy.

Do you still speak with him? If so, how is he? 

Used to always have a chat with him at Martin's fights - last time we chatted he was selling all his memorabilia to try and raise money for his gym.

Just now, MattP said:

Do you still speak with him? If so, how is he? 

Used to always have a chat with him at Martin's fights - last time we chatted he was selling all his memorabilia to try and raise money for his gym.

Well circa 10 years ago he was working on beers wines and spirits at Sainsbury’s or M&S a bit during the day and at night he ran the community boxing gym in Birstall on the old Birstall Road which used to be the old Scout Hut. He was doing great things there and getting funding and all his old mates donated stuff to help him get set up. I trained down there for a year or two but was past competitive  fighting by then. He had a good reputation in the community and did brilliant things with the young girls in the area who really worked hard and achieved some seriously good standards which was great because the other alternatives for them roaming the streets of an evening was alcohol and in some cases sexual abuse and heroin. I have a lot of respect for the man - no idea how he is now though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Who’s your money on Ronnie? 

Listening to Froch this morning saying Groves doesn’t have the power to hurt Eubank Jr.

Groves was very complimentary about Eubank actually. Saying he was very cool.

I think I’d go on the fight to go the distance. Same with Callum Smith and the other geezer

22 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well circa 10 years ago he was working on beers wines and spirits at Sainsbury’s or M&S a bit during the day and at night he ran the community boxing gym in Birstall on the old Birstall Road which used to be the old Scout Hut. He was doing great things there and getting funding and all his old mates donated stuff to help him get set up. I trained down there for a year or two but was past competitive  fighting by then. He had a good reputation in the community and did brilliant things with the young girls in the area who really worked hard and achieved some seriously good standards which was great because the other alternatives for them roaming the streets of an evening was alcohol and in some cases sexual abuse and heroin. I have a lot of respect for the man - no idea how he is now though.

He was certainly one of the good guys, had a lot of get up and go about him and seemed to really want to make a difference.

Hope he's ok, not seen him at any local event for quite a while.

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Listening to Froch this morning saying Groves doesn’t have the power to hurt Eubank Jr.

I think I’d go on the fight to go the distance. Same with Callum Smith and the other geezer

Think his hatred of him clouds his judgement,  Groves clearly does have power, you don't put Froch on his arse and have him down queer street if you don't.

We'll find out how good Eubank Jnr is Saturday, odds on Groves for me are very high.

21 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Odd thing to say given he had enough power to hurt Froch.

I agree acid test for JR on Saturday hopefully Groves puts him to sleep but can't see it. 

Edited by Manwell Pablo

12 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

What’s the undercard like? Worth the £17 pay per view ITV want?

Nothing World class, but very decent British 50/50ish title fights.

Arfan Iqbal is on and I've been interested in his progress since I watched his first couple of fights in Whitwick, Clifton Mitchell really rates him.

Not an expert and only a casual fight fan but Surely the gambling fellas here would say the bookies have this wrong 7/4 for Groves and as low as 4/7 for Eubank ? 

I would have had Groves as favourite and cant believe these odds 

Edited by NorthfieldsFox

19 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

What’s the undercard like? Worth the £17 pay per view ITV want?

Well besides plenty of gurning from Kalle Sauerland, Tommy Langford probably the biggest name, so no. Plus I don't even know how much they are going to show, a lot I would hope for £17 but I've watched some of their £9 offerings and they just had Amir Khan gassing for 90 minutes and one other fight on the under card. A lad from Swadlincote  (Zach Parker) is also on as the reserve so a bit more interesting for people round these parts but doubt anyone from Leicester would care.

I'm not even going to pay for it I don't think I'll make a brief trip (47 minutes to be precise ay lads :pearson:) down the boozer

5 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Well besides plenty of gurning from Kalle Sauerland, Tommy Langford probably the biggest name, so no. Plus I don't even know how much they are going to show, a lot I would hope for £17 but I've watched some of their £9 offerings and they just had Amir Khan gassing for 90 minutes and one other fight on the under card. A lad from Swadlincote  (Zach Parker) is also on as the reserve so a bit more interesting for people round these parts but doubt anyone from Leicester would care.

I'm not even going to pay for it I don't think I'll make a brief trip (47 minutes to be precise ay lads :pearson:) down the boozer

Ay that’s what we are doing. What sort of time will the main fight be on Pabs?

Anyone miss me ? 

Cant wait for this weekend got top seats 

really excited , think it’s one for all the ages 

PS : I’m only ever posting on this thread there are no bigoted people on here , well apart from the trolls who follow me on to here 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Good luck to him , not a great fan of these events but sounds like your lad knows how to hold his hands up 

great great cause , if he has a JustGiving set up post the link and I’m sure we will all throw a few quid in 

9 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

Anyone miss me ? 

Cant wait for this weekend got top seats 

really excited , think it’s one for all the ages 

PS : I’m only ever posting on this thread there are no bigoted people on here , well apart from the trolls who follow me on to here 

Good to have you back mate :thumbup:

Always value your input and expertise on boxing.

Have a great time this weekend. What's your prediction?

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Good to have you back mate :thumbup:

Always value your input and expertise on boxing.

Have a great time this weekend. What's your prediction?

Groves to win on points but I wouldn’t be surprised if he stopped him 

groves has more power now and stamina than he ever had 

if JR wins and wins well then we have a genuine super star on our hands 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GaelicFox said:

Groves to win on points but I wouldn’t be surprised if he stopped him 

groves has more power now and stamina than he ever had 

if JR wins and wins well then we have a genuine super star on our hands 

Good to have you back old son. ( in this thread at least where I genuinely value your opinion) 

Keep posting.

SL

• Like 1