Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Players Who Will Become Managers

Some of the best managers were average players, Alex Ferguson being an example. We also see excellent players who stated that they would never wish to be a manager, Gary Lineker. There are also those who have moved onto managment and are in the early days of proving their abilities, Chris Coleman, Stuart Pearce, etc.

Do you see any current players, nearing the end of their playing careers that could potentially cross over successfully into management?

Alan Shearer? Gareth Southgate?

Alan Shearer? Gareth Southgate?

125621[/snapback]

Shearer - maybe, although it'll be diificult for him if he takes over at St.James's and messes things up (as most people do). Where does he go from there?

Southgate - bit too much like Lineker, Mr Nice Guy etc? TV, perhaps.

I think Mark Wright might make it to the Prem eventually. Maybe Rob Lee or Gary Speed? Players who've show a lot of dedication throughout their career, and want to keep playing, will probably want to stay in the game in some form. Players who love the game.

I could not see Rio Ferdinand, for example, becoming a manager. He loves only himself, his agent and his bank account. Arrogant w***** ;)

Alan Shearer doesn't really strike me as managerial material - I think it's an unwise move for the Newcastle fans to want him as their future manager. You don't get many former players turning in to successful managers at their respective clubs - Look at Glenn Hoddle at Spurs.

I can certainly see someone like Southgate being successful - He's an intelligent guy and seems to be a leader.

Shearer won't become a manager, he is a bottle merchant, he bottled the big move to Man United, he bottled his England career and has stayed at St. James because the barcodes worship him :blink: .

He wants the cushy media career and he will not be able to handle players, look what a good job Captain Fantastic did mentoring Dyer, Robert, and Bowyer. The players at St. James tolerate him but they don't respect him. Gareth Southgate on the other will hopefully become a manager and he will be terrific.

If the media like you you can get almost any job, look at Terry Venables who despite repeated failures kept cropping up and screwing Clubs over. He was a media darling.

edited because I am illiterate.

Dion Dublin always looks like the leader type on the pitch so i could see him becomming a good manger.

I want to see Roy Keane become a manager but its hard to tell who else would become a good manager.

Graeme Le Saux, not shown the most loyalty in his career but he strikes me as intelligent and articulate.

125990[/snapback]

He is, he reads the Guardian ;)

125991[/snapback]

A shite commentator though.

i could see David Beckham staying in football, but he is sposed to be getting a actin carrer i heard. But you cant really say who would be a good manager.. Denis Wise will be a Manager (hes a Player Manager @TM) :P erm... Dion Dublin, maybe lez ferdinand... just player who you see not looseing their rag on the pitch but effective as a leader.

I can't see any top players of today becoming successful managers after their playing days are over.

Why? Well they don't need the money for starters. When the going gets tough and fans get on their back (and soon forget how good they were in their playing days) the likes of Shearer, Southgate, Speed etc can simply tender their resignation and console themselves with their 10 properties, countless cars, and millions in the bank.

What incentive is there for today's stars to go into management and show the passion, enthusiasm and commitment required to make it to the top of the managerial tree? Absolutely nothing. I'm sure there will be a few of today's Premiership players who try to forge a career in management, but unlike the likes of Bryan Robson, Stuart Pearce, Chris Coleman etc - all of todays stars are set for life without lifting a finger for their retirement years.

Archived