Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Category A Academy from Next season

Category 1

• The top level category will require clubs to have an approximate budget of £2.325m.
  • Have a full time staff of at least 18.
  • Provide at least 5 hours contact time with players each week.
  • The current 90 minute travel rule will not apply.

i think you re jumping the gun , its not decided yet just in talks at the moment .but exciting for the academy and club if it happens .

It shows the owners ambitions, and if we can cherry pick talent from the across the country that is good news

It shows the owners ambitions, and if we can cherry pick talent from the across the country that is good news

Good news for us, but not for the poorer clubs, this is something we should be opposing not supporting because it benefits us.

Good news for us, but not for the poorer clubs, this is something we should be opposing not supporting because it benefits us.

Erm I support Leicester and as such, I want us to have the best and im glad it benefits us. I couldnt give a flying horse about other clubs. I want whats best for Leicester, and only leicester.

Well we wont have the best because 'bigger' clubs than us will cream them off, I doubt it will make much difference to us in terms of the quality of players we can get, the big clubs will gain by getting the pick of the crop at a much cheaper price and the clubs that can't afford academies of this standard will drop further behind the gap between rich and poor will widen.

Bear in mind our 'richness' will only last as long as the Thais or someone else continues to pump money in with out a sugar daddy we'll become one of those poorer clubs.

Bear in mind our 'richness' will only last as long as the Thais or someone else continues to pump money in with out a sugar daddy we'll become one of those poorer clubs.

So while there here it would be foolish not to take advantage of this, if it happens. It's proven the more time you spend with kids the more likely it is you'll develope their talent; Barcelona Ajax blueprint. The country itself is way behind the aforementioned countries, more clubs having an A rating would benefit the national team theoretically long term. So let's hope the Thais are in it long term - we would be doomed otherwise, a move like this shows promise they just might be.... Touch wood

Well we wont have the best because 'bigger' clubs than us will cream them off, I doubt it will make much difference to us in terms of the quality of players we can get, the big clubs will gain by getting the pick of the crop at a much cheaper price and the clubs that can't afford academies of this standard will drop further behind the gap between rich and poor will widen.

yes this DOES happen. no doubt about it. But as players a couple of years out the youth team realise ( like drinkwater for example) that maybe its better to go to a team that you have a far greater chance of getting first team football for. I also believe NP and his team have a growing reputation for developing young talent..

Not only that, alot of the top clubs( not all) are now cherry picking young talent from around Europe which would give us a slightly better chance of getting a couple of gems from the national pool..

Erm I support Leicester and as such, I want us to have the best and im glad it benefits us. I couldnt give a flying horse about other clubs. I want whats best for Leicester, and only leicester.

So you would be happy with the suggestion to get rid of promotion and relegation to the premier league as long as we were in it at the time.

There was a very good thread on here about the problems with the new academy approach for next season, if I have the time I will try and dig it out, but while we support these changes because it benefits us rather than stand by the smaller clubs one day we will get screwed over and look around for suport from the real football clubs and realise there aren't any left.

So many people on here complain about the way the game is going, no standing, no atmosphere, driven by money dominated by the premiership. As soon as we are one of the better off clubs fvck the rest we will steal all of the talent from poorer clubs, brilliant.

What like points reductions for going into administration?.... :whistle:

We could have been docked ten points and still got promoted, so that didn't affect us either way.

Quite frankly a disgusting attitude to have. I want the best for Leicester also, but not at the expense of the smaller clubs going to the wall.

There's the old quote...

"First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,

and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me."

Clubs should stand up to those in power who only wish to advance their paypacket instead of the game.

We won't get cat 1 status straight away as all the building blocks are not in place - education buidings,number of coaches etc - we will be pushing for it as quickly as possible but that will take some time. Whilst the new regs are coming into force shotly in true FA style it is unclear on who is going to police them so it could end up as a free for all with the big boys just doing as they please.

I'm sure some on here will consider us "big boys" so we are ok but not convinced that is really the case but we'll soon see

Category A Academy or not, it still won't stop the robbing t*ats in the PL hoovering up your talent for a pittance should they desire. The days of 1-2mil for a promising youngster are about to disappear when the EPPP comes into force

The fact that the FL league clubs were blackmailed into accepting it just leaves even more of a bitter taste in the mouth

You are such a lily livered leftie aintcha!

'co-operation not competition' is your mantra yes?

I'm a City fan, I want the best academy in the country if possible. And if that means that Walsall or Hartlepool don't have one well, Cest la vie.

Life's a zero sum game mate.. There are always winners and losers.

I bet you want to ban competitive sports in Schools too eh?

lol

You are such a lily livered leftie aintcha!

'co-operation not competition' is your mantra yes?

I'm a City fan, I want the best academy in the country if possible. And if that means that Walsall or Hartlepool don't have one well, Cest la vie.

Life's a zero sum game mate.. There are always winners and losers.

I bet you want to ban competitive sports in Schools too eh?

lol

So when United come in and just take our youngsters off our doorstep and we can't do anything about it, even if we are a class A academy, we will still just be stealing the ones that bigger clubs didn't want, as probably one of the only clubs in the championship with this status we are not going to be getting the cream of the crop we will be getting dregs of the cream and be spending a lot of money on maintaining an academy that is still not going to produce many stars.

I am all for competitive sports I just believe they should be played on a level playing field, this change just gives a massive advantage to the top clubs in the country or which we are not one of them, we may have the money to compete with the likes of Blackburn and Sunderland, but we will be still be squabbling over the cast offs of the bigger clubs.

I would bet that in 10 years time we will have more rejects from the big 6 academies in our squad than any from our own "A-class academy".

This is if, and it is a big if, we do receive this classification, if we don't then we might as well scrap the academy, probably be more cost effective to let the big clubs bring on the players and snap up those that don't make the grade.

2.35 million will buy us a Danny Drinkwater and a Ben Marshall every season, I bet we don't have 2 come through our academy every season.

So when United come in and just take our youngsters off our doorstep and we can't do anything about it, even if we are a class A academy, we will still just be stealing the ones that bigger clubs didn't want, as probably one of the only clubs in the championship with this status we are not going to be getting the cream of the crop we will be getting dregs of the cream and be spending a lot of money on maintaining an academy that is still not going to produce many stars.

I am all for competitive sports I just believe they should be played on a level playing field, this change just gives a massive advantage to the top clubs in the country or which we are not one of them, we may have the money to compete with the likes of Blackburn and Sunderland, but we will be still be squabbling over the cast offs of the bigger clubs.

I would bet that in 10 years time we will have more rejects from the big 6 academies in our squad than any from our own "A-class academy".

This is if, and it is a big if, we do receive this classification, if we don't then we might as well scrap the academy, probably be more cost effective to let the big clubs bring on the players and snap up those that don't make the grade.

2.35 million will buy us a Danny Drinkwater and a Ben Marshall every season, I bet we don't have 2 come through our academy every season.

This is my point... get real!

There IS NO level playing field in football, in fact, in life...

Has there ever been a level playing field in football? Has it not always been the case that the likes of Man U, Liverpool, Leeds (in their hay day), Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan............. the list is endless, have always been able to nick players from under the noses of 'smaller' clubs?

Leicester have now got money... thats why we have been able to 'take' the likes of Mills from Reading, Danns from Palace, and, most recently, Morgan from Forest.

Are you now going to not be a Leicester City Fan because, suddenly, WE are not 'playing fair' anymore...

How do you think the Forest fans must now be feeling when their board have sold their favourite player to one of their biggest rivals?

Competition, Power, Influence have been present since the dawn of time and won't go away just because you shout for some imaginary 'level playing field'.

If we can create an even more excellent Academy, which raises the profile of the club, enables us to develop better young players, creates further links with the local community, enhances local employment and generates players which we can then utilise ourselves or move on to further their careers, then I'm all for it.

My club is Leicester City... although I respect other clubs across the land I am only really bothered about my local team. If I'm being honest.

You can't change the world... and if you want 'cooperation over competition', you genuinely need to stop being a hypocrite and go and support Burton Albion or Shepshed Dynamo, because Leicester City Football Club are not 'playing fair' themselves at present.

I'm not saying this is 'right' or 'fair' or even 'proper'...but its life

I'd rather be inside the tent, spitting out..than outside the tent, spitting in....

:)

Has there ever been a level playing field in football? Has it not always been the case that the likes of Man U, Liverpool, Leeds (in their hay day), Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan............. the list is endless, have always been able to nick players from under the noses of 'smaller' clubs?

Leicester have now got money... thats why we have been able to 'take' the likes of Mills from Reading, Danns from Palace, and, most recently, Morgan from Forest.

Are you now going to not be a Leicester City Fan because, suddenly, WE are not 'playing fair' anymore...

How do you think the Forest fans must now be feeling when their board have sold their favourite player to one of their biggest rivals?

Competition, Power, Influence have been present since the dawn of time and won't go away just because you shout for some imaginary 'level playing field'.

If we can create an even more excellent Academy, which raises the profile of the club, enables us to develop better young players, creates further links with the local community, enhances local employment and generates players which we can then utilise ourselves or move on to further their careers, then I'm all for it.

My club is Leicester City... although I respect other clubs across the land I am only really bothered about my local team. If I'm being honest.

You can't change the world... and if you want 'cooperation over competition', you genuinely need to stop being a hypocrite and go and support Burton Albion or Shepshed Dynamo, because Leicester City Football Club are not 'playing fair' themselves at present.

I'd rather be inside the tent, spitting out..than outside the tent, spitting in....

Just because we may benefit from it doesn't mean it is right.

Just because there is already a great gulf between the rich clubs and the poor clubs doesn't mean we should be widening it.

We are not guaranteed of this Class A status, so how are you going to feel if we don't get it and we end up closing the academy?

No it hasn't always been this way unless you believe football only started when the PL started, there used to be more clubs able to challenge for the top of the top tier league and players, in the main were developed and played for their home town clubs before moving on for a decent fee this helped the smaller football league clubs to survive.

I personally don't feel this will make a big difference to the current situation for the big clubs but will inevitable give the big clubs a slightly stronger hand in creaming off the best and will in consequence weaken further the ability of FL clubs to survive.

Anyone who believes we will end up with better players capable of making it in the PL directly through our academy than we already are able to achieve is guilty of wishful thinking at best.

Just because we may benefit from it doesn't mean it is right.

Just because there is already a great gulf between the rich clubs and the poor clubs doesn't mean we should be widening it.

We are not guaranteed of this Class A status, so how are you going to feel if we don't get it and we end up closing the academy?

1. I didnt say it was.... I said it was a fact of life, and certainly football

2. As I said, if you don't agree with Leicester City having money, go and support a team who don't..to have your attitude and still support City is hypocritical

3. We'll have to wait and see.....

No it hasn't always been this way unless you believe football only started when the PL started, there used to be more clubs able to challenge for the top of the top tier league and players, in the main were developed and played for their home town clubs before moving on for a decent fee this helped the smaller football league clubs to survive.

I personally don't feel this will make a big difference to the current situation for the big clubs but will inevitable give the big clubs a slightly stronger hand in creaming off the best and will in consequence weaken further the ability of FL clubs to survive.

Anyone who believes we will end up with better players capable of making it in the PL directly through our academy than we already are able to achieve is guilty of wishful thinking at best.

Is this really true?

When Liverpool dominated Europe during the 70's was the squad full of 'home-grown' talent?

Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Keegan to name but four..did they come up through Liverpool's ranks... I don't think so?

Leeds... when they dominated under Revie.. was their squad full of 'Leeds lads'... I don't think so?

And maybe the best example has to be Blackburn, who came from nothing to Prem League Champs because of money made from Steel... Were Shearer and Sutton Yorkshire Lads like? lol

I concur, the Prem League has 'upped the anti', so to speak, but this has been going since when...the early 90's ie. a very very long time.

Today, smaller clubs continue to develop and sell-off their own young players for far bigger fees than ever happened previously, in relative terms... this has actually enabled a number of clubs to stay afloat.

The 'top few' have always been present... I think you are resorting to nostalgia to consider otherwise.

And finally, yes.. if our excellent Academy develops just one or two good players that we can move into out first team within the next few years, I'll be well happy.

Archived