Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxesfan1989

Ken Bates "offered Beckford twice this season"

What gets me is that you could start a thread saying Nugent has been our player of the season and not get many negative comments in it. Nugent only scored 1 goal more than Beckford did this season. Granted, he had a slow start to the season.. but 15 goals for the season is not that bad. It isnt great But it isnt bad either.

Beckford has scored in 7 league games, Nugent has scored in 14.

Nugent has scored 15 goals in the league, Beckford has scored 9.

Beckford cost more transfer wise and reportedly earns more also.

When Nugent has a bad game he still works his balls off for the team... can the same be said of Beckford?

Beckford has the ball control of a two legged badger.

If people can't see why more people value Nugent over Beckford by some distance (currently) then god help them. I'm undecided on him as I think he might come good with the right players around him. But I wouldn't worry about losing him as currently he is bad value for money.

When Nugent has a bad game he still works his balls off for the team... can the same be said of Beckford?

If people can't see why more people value Nugent over Beckford by some distance (currently) then god help them. I'm undecided on him as I think he might come good with the right players around him. But I wouldn't worry about losing him as currently he is bad value for money.

I don't think people are mistaking "value for money". I think people are commenting on the fact that had Beckford been for free, and Nugent been £3m, would we still be having this conversation? Beckford i'm sure by his own standards has performed poor - i'd love to see him come good for us, whether he will - i doubt it. I'm on the fence with this one.

I don't think people are mistaking "value for money". I think people are commenting on the fact that had Beckford been for free, and Nugent been £3m, would we still be having this conversation? Beckford i'm sure by his own standards has performed poor - i'd love to see him come good for us, whether he will - i doubt it. I'm on the fence with this one.

But that's a silly argument, because we paid what we paid.

If Nugent cost what Beckford did and Beckford cost what Nugent did, then people would be saying Nugent has been a good buy. And that Beckford has been alright but has the touch of a two legged badger... although on a plus side side we aren't paying him £40k a week (according to rumour) and thank god we didn't pay £2.5m+ for him.

Unfortunately for us that isn't the case, and no matter how you swing it he still has the touch of a two legged badger.

Nugent has been better value and a better player, and that's why people value him more.

Nugent hasn't been better value recently, his form has dipped hugely under Pearson.

dipped hugely?

His form has plumetted under Pearson.

After a quick calculation...

After Sven 2.91 goals per game

Under Sven 3.25 goals per game

If his from dipped it's because he was playing a team role out wide due to injuries in midfield.

Can't really argue with this I don't think, if you compare them both on value for money terms, then Nugent is leagues ahead. But I do think that since Pearson came in Beckford has been doing a lot more for the team, and there's not many players that do the amount of running Nugent does in a match.

Wasn't there a stat about Beckford being in the top third of the team in terms of distance covered in a game though?

Guest ttfn

Wasn't there a stat about Beckford being in the top third of the team in terms of distance covered in a game though?

Beckford came out with it to defend himself. Could be true, could be bull. Either way it's not been verified

Guest ttfn

If his from dipped it's because he was playing a

team role out wide due to injuries in midfield.

It's a wonder we kept hold of him after his 140 goal season.

If his from dipped it's because he was playing a team role out wide due to injuries in midfield.

I think his form dipped also because of all the effort he put in during the first half of the season, when the non-effectiveness of Beckford meant he was leading the line almost single-handed. He looked jaded to me as the season drew to a close.

Another thing, I feel sure that, apart from goals scored, Nugent contributed more to the team effort than Beckford and had more assists.

This just sums it all up for me. I don't mean this personally, I reckon most of the people defending Beckford are thinking the same as you. It sounds like you value the player's "name" more than you value the player's performances. Everton understandably took a gamble on signing Beckford on a free transfer because he scored a lot in League 1. Fryatt scored one more than him, in the same division, in the same season, and if he'd been available on a free then, he might well have got his chance in the PL, as well. Beckford was a squad player for Everton and was sold on after just one season.

Actually beckford got the same amount of goals 27 in 12 less league appearances (34) compared to fryatt's 46.

Nugent scored 16 goals last season, Beckford scored 15. Keep up, man. Selective facts to make your case. lol

Nugent scored 16 goals last season, Beckford scored 15. Keep up, man. Selective facts to make your case. lol

Which is why I said league, can you not read?

Selective facts, but the facts non the less. Are you telling me you can't understand why people value Nugent over Beckford?

Nugents game is a lot more varied than Beckfords.

- He can score goals from outside the box, something which beckford hasnt done all season.

- He can play outwide, showed by his form at preston and pompey.

- He works harder and can read the game defensiveley a lot better.

- He creates more chances, can run with the ball and take players on, and actually attempts to win balls in the air.

IMO Beckford is a one trick pony who must be in a team which plays around him, we are not that side and we need a striker who has multiple strengths.

Which is why I said league, can you not read?

Selective facts, but the facts non the less. Are you telling me you can't understand why people value Nugent over Beckford?

really babs? Of course i can read- I just find it very amusing that someone like you would leave out things to support a bias

'selective facts but facts none the less' lol oh come on you're better than that.

I too would pick Nugent every day over Beckford. But for all his running He DID only score one more goal than Beckford.

My argument is very simple... Beckford is not crap. He hasnt had a 'bad season' and isnt a suitable person for crucifiction and the way some people are going on , on here, then you would not put it past them if given the chance. ( and no, im not directiing all of these completly at you)

Has he gone missing in some games? yes could you fault him for effort in some? yes. Other than Nugent and maybe Konchesky there are very few players who have not gone missing and can not be faulted for effort. Yet he becomes an easy target, despite his goal scoring record.

Not suprised this Transfer of Beckford really didnt work we were all excited and over exectatic when he came in but this reminds me of the DJ Cambel thing a couple of years ago. I just dont think those types of strikers suit our style of play and never put hard work defending in.

id much rather heve someone who will defend from the front rather than lounging around and never getting on the end of things because we havent got the right midfield to play that sort of striker. Like whenever Nugent has a bad game you dont notice because of his hard work.

If he has been offered Beckford by us it wouldnt surprise me as its never really worked since day 1, only a short burst of form during our fa cup run to show for our 4 million pound.

really babs? Of course i can read- I just find it very amusing that someone like you would leave out things to support a bias

'selective facts but facts none the less' lol oh come on you're better than that.

I too would pick Nugent every day over Beckford. But for all his running He DID only score one more goal than Beckford.

My argument is very simple... Beckford is not crap. He hasnt had a 'bad season' and isnt a suitable person for crucifiction and the way some people are going on , on here, then you would not put it past them if given the chance. ( and no, im not directiing all of these completly at you)

Has he gone missing in some games? yes could you fault him for effort in some? yes. Other than Nugent and maybe Konchesky there are very few players who have not gone missing and can not be faulted for effort. Yet he becomes an easy target, despite his goal scoring record.

He's not had a bad season? We effectively played with 10 men up until January, he was that bad. A decent January/February/March and a poor end to the season (1 goal in 9) means that in my eyes, he's had a bad season. His performances certainly don't save him either.

Archived