Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
skybluekid

Coventry fan in peace

Some great away days though. I know other people have mentioned it, but it's true... Went to a lot of away games, and enjoyed all of them. Cheltenham was fantastic, in particular.

my memories of l1?

brilliant we were immense, home games ok, average attendance not bad, considering only leeds and swindon had any support.

away days brilliant as the away following was the loyal support and sold out every where.

the football wasnt bad either plus we won a lot.

none of which should bother you, cov are shit, never sell out, home or away and will be staying down. pompey, fanchise, crawley and swindon will see to that.

Everybody knew we went down with some above average players such as Howard and Oakley, 2 players that could change a game on their own. I don't think Cov have that (especially now Clingan has done one), but we'll see.

The main problem you have is your fans, your ground is half empty most of the time, even your relegation clash which must be embarrassing to say the least and with the little passionate supporters you have must be even hard for them to get chants going. Even away you dont have a great following but that will be the only time you do sing.

The difference between Leicester and Coventry in League one was our fan base, home games wernt great attendances but decent and away pretty much sold out and the times you most need your fans our away from home.

That's my view anyway but good luck, you'll need it.

I think you'll enjoy your time in Div 1 - you'll see a refreshing number of goals and you'll probably win a lot more games than you're used to, and you'll be seen as the 'big boys' in the Division along with Pompey, so it's not all bad. Yes - we were really glad to get back into the Champ but looking back - it was a pretty enjoyable season.

I for one didn't applaud your relegation, I used to enjoy the rivaly and the tense games, and it's a shame that your club has lost it's way a bit. We've been a bit luckier, and in football these days, it's luck that's the deciding factor.

Have a good season and see you again sometime - I'm hoping we'll get promoted next season, but I'm also a life-long Leicester fan, so I'm used to disappointment! Best of luck.

Don't know why people feel the need to rub the Cov fan's nose in it . He did come on here in peace and asked a reasonable question. They are at a low ebb at the moment no question about that and we have been there ourselves, So it just makes us look vindictive and ignorant to keep taking the piss.

To the Cov fan hope you get straight back up and try to enjoy the season anyway.

I agree with the Wolf.

I don't think you'll walk it like we did. But it is a noticeable drop down in quality and you should be able to knock a few performances together. It'll probably do you good, a bit of Southampton effect.

I think the quality of the league will be an advantage to you. There's no real standout teams next season, like a Leeds, Southampton, Norwich - although that's assuming Sheff Utd don't go up. Plus, the teams going down with you are both in disarray. I reckon you might surprise a few people next season.

Re Cov. being in that division for their first time since the 1960s, I don't know how they'll fare in the third tier next season.

If they do what we did (unlikely) then they'll enjoy it but that seems unlikely when you consider teams like Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton took a couple of seasons to get back to the Championship, even with their level opf support and so on that Cov. no longer have. Sheffield United may well do the bouncing straight back bit by the play offs but I can't see Cov. emulating any of those three teams in League One with their present squad and financial worries. I also don't know what Andy Thorn is really like as a manager. I got the impression he was only brought in as a cheap option last season - a la Terry Connor at Wolves. Cov's better players were loanees towards the end (Nimley and co), while McSheffrey and others were hot and cold for them last season - and a let down when needed the most for the crucual last five games.

As for us, I enjoyed the 2008-09 experience in League One (hopefully our one and ever only!) far more than I ever expected I would do from the outset when we were relegated on that fateful last day in May 2008.....after our goal-less draw at promoted Stoke and with a goal difference of minus three!! In many ways the whole experience improved us to what we are today when compared to the side that got relegated in 2008.

It was of course ironic that Pearson joined us in the following July from the club he had steered to safety on the final day of 2007-08 at our expense, namely Saints. Talking of which, Pearson was the main reason why we won League One at a canter, the players he brought in like Dyer, Berner and arguably Tunchev (?!). The loanees Jack Hobbs, Tom Cleverly and goalkeepers like Stockdale and were also very impressive at that level.........while persuading the better players from the relegated side to remain - Howard, Fryatt, Oakley, Mattock, Gradel, Andy King - all of who were always going to be a force to be reckoned with at that level. While people rightly slate Mandaric to this day (especially with the management fiasco in 2007-08), nevertheless he did finance bringing in those quality loanees and was the reason why many of the better players from the season before (Hume and McAuley aside) stayed put. due to the retention of their good wages and security with Mandaric's financial input.....despite the fact that we had been releagted to the third tier for the first time ever.

It was a bit demeaning having to play against the likes of Hartlepool, Crewe, Scunthorpe, and Tranmere - to name a few - but it was enjoyable as were winning most games, drawing a few and losing virtually none. Indeed we were unbeaten im the league between September 2008-March 2009, "which was nice"....and it wasn't doing a Huddersfield (who drew loads of their League One games - as we were winning most of them!). We also took Palace to a replay in the FA Cup. It was also nice being "the big draw" for all the clubs in that division. Arguably Leeds were too but because we were top of the league virtually all season then we were the big draw! I can't see Cov. emulating any of what we did though at this moment.......

I think i'd go as far as saying it was one of my favourite season's as a Leicester fan, who cares if it was League One.

As for Coventry, I see no way back, they have no money, they have no fanbase and then have no way of moving forward, I could even see them possibly getting relegated again next season - If they do go into administration with a points deduction, no doubt players will be leaving this summer, it'll be hard for them - Providing it's decent odds i'll be betting on it, I was too greedy and though 2/1 wasn't good enough value for Coventry to be relegated last season, looks good value now.

As for attendances for us we already had a good fanbase, I think it did rise in League One but that's what winning and doing well in the league does for you (Something i'm sceptical off because of the reasons i've mention above) and people jumping on the bandwagon, Coventry's attendances may rise very slightly but I doubt it, as I said we already had a very good fanbase - Coventry? We'll it's not very good is it, we'll leave it at that.

Bitter sweet, it was awful to see us down at that level, but we played OK and won a lot of games. More satisfying than the relegation season before and we won promotion straight back to it was a minor, uncomfortable blip. You don't want to be there long if you can help it.

Archived