Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
skybluekid

Coventry fan in peace

Hi all - am a Covnetyr fan but not here to wind anybody up, just to genuinely gauge your experiences of League One:

As we all know, you walked L1 in your sole season there - nobody at CCFC sees any reason why will do so, in fact nobody expects us to have any impact on the division at all (just as we didn't when we went down to the Championship in 2001).

But in your one season in L1, did you find higher away attendances at the Walkers than you had when going down in 2007-08? Was it a pain getting away tickets?

And who were your local derbies? Ours next season are Walsall, Notts County, MK Dons and Shrewsbury - how we have fallen since our finest hour 25 years ago!

Cheers guys

Pearson was the deciding factor

He's got a reputation that enabled him to get loan signings from ManU, Liverpool & Arsenal, this bolstered our side... Jack Hobbs in particular was stand-out performer.

Also when we went down, we essentially had playoff capable players who'd massively, massively, massively underperformed (and were hugely mis-managed by Manderic's revolving door policy) & although a few left we were left with a reasonable side, excellent for that level. This isn't meant to sound derogatory, but you just don't have that quality of player, or at least not throughout the side.

Person's robust & business-like management style & the much needed organisation (we'd lacked for years) finally allowed our players to gel as a team & along with spinkling of loan deals it was a good season, that enabled to spring up the Championship the following season

I don't see Cov as rivals mainly because I live much nearer Nottingham & Derby... but what's the point in having rivals if you can't play against them... so ummmm good luck *ducks*

We blooded a fair bit of youth blended in with a bit of experience when we went down, which I think helped.

The away days were so much better as well. If you sell out to wherever you go, you'll enjoy your season a lot!

Going down can work in your favour, if you manage to get it right and go back up the following season. Relegation is horrible and no set of fans want it for their team, but getting in a good team of players and having that base to build on really helps. Like others have stated if you have a manger who can get the correct type of players together then have a strong season and get promotion it does wonders for you, the teams that get promoted who do well in the championship are the ones who have a lot of confidence in the players around them, they have good morale and they don't need many additions to make the team 'stronger' when making the jump up from league 1 to the championship. For ourselves the squad stayed fairly similar, on paper they were not as strong as a fair amount of teams in the league, but they knew each other and they managed to keep the momentum going from the season before.

The difference for us were the players we kept, Oakley, Howard and Fryatt. Add that to the likes of King (first full season), Hobbs, Dyer and some good loan signings meant we were simply stringer than anyone else.

I think the simple truth is we should not have gone down with the players we had, I know everyone who gets relegated says that but in this instance it was true. We kept the backbone of the side and added a few but the key as has already been said was Pearson's management skills. How do you rate your present manager and do you think he is good enough to get you straight back up ?

Our attendances dropped for sure. Not dramatically fortunately as we started theseason well and were up near the top for the whole season.

Pearson came in and instilled a good menatlity, as well as making some good signings.

Fryatt got a load of goals for us and his partnership with Howard was the key. Oakley was also a quality player at that level (he'd come to us from Premiership Derby just a few months earlier). We had these players as goal threats, as well as Dyer and King, and Pearson knew how to organise a defence (something that was actually our strong point when we went down anyway).

As has been said, we just happened to have a good squad and manager for that level. We shouldn't have gone down in 2008, I don't think decisions evened themselves out at all and although we were bad we were also very unlucky. I don't think you have been unlucky at all, you've just been shit.

Away games were good but then again they'd have been much less enjoyable if we'd had a bad season and not gone up. Yes it's fun being in full terraced away ends etc but it's also much better when the fans are all in a good frame of mind and are expecting to enjoy themselves.

And, don't take this personally, there just wasn't enough Cov fans around last month but...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA lol lol lol!!!

I think a lot of Leicester fans really enjoyed League One. It was cheaper to go away, you could always get a ticket and you would dominate the away ground usually.

But in part the enjoyment came from doing very well in that division. There was a gulf in class between Leicester and other teams and winning is always fun.

So if you do well, then you will enjoy it.

The experience of the likes of Forest and Leeds is different though. They both took a couple of seasons to get promoted and were probably very frustrated to see their teams at a much lower level and doing worse than they would expect.

So whether you enjoy League One will depend on how well you do.

Pearson was the deciding factor

He's got a reputation that enabled him to get loan signings from ManU, Liverpool & Arsenal, this bolstered our side... Jack Hobbs in particular was stand-out performer.

Also when we went down, we essentially had playoff capable players who'd massively, massively, massively underperformed (and were hugely mis-managed by Manderic's revolving door policy) & although a few left we were left with a reasonable side, excellent for that level. This isn't meant to sound derogatory, but you just don't have that quality of player, or at least not throughout the side.

Person's robust & business-like management style & the much needed organisation (we'd lacked for years) finally allowed our players to gel as a team & along with spinkling of loan deals it was a good season, that enabled to spring up the Championship the following season

I don't see Cov as rivals mainly because I live much nearer Nottingham & Derby... but what's the point in having rivals if you can't play against them... so ummmm good luck *ducks*

Thats debatable, they definately under achieved but id say where no more than a middle table side

I think a lot of Leicester fans really enjoyed League One. It was cheaper to go away, you could always get a ticket and you would dominate the away ground usually.

But in part the enjoyment came from doing very well in that division. There was a gulf in class between Leicester and other teams and winning is always fun.

So if you do well, then you will enjoy it.

The experience of the likes of Forest and Leeds is different though. They both took a couple of seasons to get promoted and were probably very frustrated to see their teams at a much lower level and doing worst than they would expect.

So whether you enjoy League One will depend on how well you do.

:nono:

Agree with all statements so far, especially enjoyed it because we were winning, if you lose a few then the enjoyment will refrigerant suffer.

Just to say it makes a refreshing change that none of the 'knobheads' on this forum has abused the thread starter yet for being a cov fan, who posted a reasonable question, although I suppose theirs still time!

That season I went to Walsall (snowball fight), Huddersfield, Stockport and MK Dons.

I got a ticket easily for those games but I suppose my experience might not be representative.

A Cov fan should always be able to get a ticket though!

I enjoyed the season, went to the most amount of away games I've done in a season.

It was good to see some different teams and to see us winning again. The attendances at home were poor for the form we showed but it felt that year as though we had some sort of bond with the players and manager again.

I would ask fans of similar clubs who didn't return so quickly though, because I'm sure we'd been down there for a few years our views would be a different.

Guest MattP

I enjoyed the season, went to the most amount of away games I've done in a season.

It was good to see some different teams and to see us winning again. The attendances at home were poor for the form we showed but it felt that year as though we had some sort of bond with the players and manager again.

I would ask fans of similar clubs who didn't return so quickly though, because I'm sure we'd been down there for a few years our views would be a different.

Very good point that, 5th season of going to Stockport sat in 14th might have became rather tedious.

The key difference was Pearson, as has already been said.

The squad we had when we went down was poor without question, but we really shouldn't have gone down. Huge instability on and off the field killed that season with managers coming and going and umpteen loanees that never paid off were the killers but players like Oakley, Fryatt and Howard were too good for that division and it showed. Add in Pearson's excellent reputation in the game as a coach, his strong scouting team and healthy finances for a League One side and we had the wherewithal to add to an already strong squad by the standards of the division, so promotion was very much on the cards from the off.

As a supporter it was flippin' brilliant. Plenty of new grounds for the faithful to visit, cheap tickets and winning regularly on the road. What more could you want? We had problems getting tickets on occasion for some of the smaller allocations such as Northampton and the bigger games, but the fact we took 4500 to Peterborough and over 5000 to Franchise FC makes that understandable. With all due respect, I doubt you'll match that.

If you can start well and sign well in the summer, you might be OK but the situation with your owners is likely to mean you'll find both of these very difficult. Honestly, the best thing you can do is embrace the division while you're in it. You'll get to stand on some terraces, visit some pleasant little towns and probably be more competitive than you have for years. It's as close to old school football as you're going to get.

Archived