Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BMR

Paul Dixon -- sky sports - Gone to Huddersfield.

Sky Sports understands that Cardiff and Leicester are interested in signing former Dundee United defender Paul Dixon.

The Championship duo are both in the market for a left-back this summer and it is believed they have targeted the former United trainee.

The 25-year-old is a free agent after leaving The Terrors at the end of last season after his contract expired.

Dixonspacer.gif made 145 appearances for Dundee Unitedspacer.gif in a four-year spell since signing from their city rivals Dundee in 2008.

Cardiff and Leicesterspacer.gif are both trying to improve their teams as they go in search of promotion to the Premier League in the new season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gf supports Dundee United and says he is pretty good, may opt for Cardiff though as former team mate Craig Conway is there

Wouldn't mind this, I'm happy with whatever Nigel wants to do with the defence this season, we haven't had a strong back line since he was last here.

Except for when Mills and Bamba went countless games barely shipping goals under Sven? How many consecutive clean sheets?

Except for when Mills and Bamba went countless games barely shipping goals under Sven? How many consecutive clean sheets?

Cmon Finners, get off it. Sven didn't know what he was doing. Mills is rubbish, Beckford Bamba is a liability and waste of space and anything that Sven did deserves nothing but derision, pure fluke was those clean sheets. Up against nobodies. :ph34r:

4, if you don't count cup games. Conceded 9 in the 5 games previous to that and 9 in the 5 games following it though. Not exactly incredible. You can compare that to a spell in Nigel's last season when we conceded 5 in 9 games. That good enough?

That's when we played that ridiculous diamond formation and had no width

Not a settled defence - we went back to conceding 3 against Millwall, and that was really not as much of a one-off as we'd like to think.

The defence improved at the expense of the attack, under Pearson we could do both, mostly defend but certainly could attack too.

If this is true then why do we keep approaching left-backs? Surely :pearson: doesn't think Kennedy and Konch where that bad last season thought they where pretty good especially Paul

It has probably got more to do with Financial Fair Play than anything.

All this debate over which of our defenders are better than the others, in my view all our regular defenders were perfectly adequate in whatever mix.

Our problem FFS!!!!! was our inadequate midfield who offered protection to the level of girly pink.

I am really hoping our midfield gets sorted. Our attackers are OK ( but could still be improved ) our defenders are OK ( but could still be improved ) - our midfield was CRAP!!!!!

All this debate over which of our defenders are better than the others, in my view all our regular defenders were perfectly adequate in whatever mix.

Our problem FFS!!!!! was our inadequate midfield who offered protection to the level of girly pink.

I am really hoping our midfield gets sorted. Our attackers are OK ( but could still be improved ) our defenders are OK ( but could still be improved ) - our midfield was CRAP!!!!!

Nail and head spring to mind, good comment

The midfield definitely played its part but you can't tell me sorting that would make the defence better.

The defence was not good enough at all last year and hasn't been ever since Pearson left.

Sorting the midfield WOULD help the defence Dan?

When we are under pressure so much of the time the defence will finally crumble.

Defend from the front, keep the ball at times of pressure, especially when away from home and give the defence the time to regroup and regain its composure.

The same as with the 'strikers' thread, I fail to see how a back five of Kasper, Konch, Pelts, Morgan and Bamba/SSL can't be good enough at this level.

But, also like the strikers, they need help and support from an adequate midfield.

The more I think about, the more I think that the midfield was actually the main culprit last season.

Did you watch last nights game Ireland v Spain?

The defence have been blamed for the result...

Did you not see how the WHOLE Ireland side could not keep the ball? They were utterly over run and the back five had to suffer wave after wave after wave of attack.

Given these circumstances even the best defences will crumble eventually. Even the usually highly composed Shay Given looked very very shaky last night... Similar to Kasper at times last season.

Defend as a team, attack as a team.

Pearson is addressing this, I think, but I'd still like to see centre midfield ball winner signed.

Believe me, get the midfield right and the defence will look less shaky... And we may get the strikers firing too.

When we are under pressure so much of the time the defence will finally crumble.

Defend from the front, keep the ball at times of pressure, especially when away from home and give the defence the time to regroup and regain its composure.

The same as with the 'strikers' thread, I fail to see how a back five of Kasper, Konch, Pelts, Morgan and Bamba/SSL can't be good enough at this level.

But, also like the strikers, they need help and support from an adequate midfield.

The more I think about, the more I think that the midfield was actually the main culprit last season.

Did you not see how the WHOLE Ireland side could not keep the ball? They were utterly over run and the back five had to suffer wave after wave after wave of attack.

Given these circumstances even the best defences will crumble eventually. Even the usually highly composed Shay Given looked very very shaky last night... Similar to Kasper at times last season.

Pearson is addressing this, I think, but I'd still like to see centre midfield ball winner signed.

Believe me, get the midfield right and the defence will look less shaky... And we may get the strikers firing too.

Spot on Col and as a lot of us said last year no quality wide no ball winner/holding and no play maker/ flair.

Have to agree about sorting the midfield out. It was a problem long before Pearson left in his first spell. The amount of long shots that resulted in goals due to lack of pressure on the opposition central midfielders was always an issue under Pearson. For some reason it's been a glaringly obvious problem for sometime yet three different manager's have failed to address it. To put it simply without a midfield general we'll struggle to go up, as the vast majority of teams who are successful in the Championship have a ball winner.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived