Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SharpeFox

Here's my take on the Mills saga...

Probably gonna get shot down in flames for this because the thread seems to have become something of a Pearson love-in. Reminds me of the start of last season when Sven could simply do no wrong in the eyes of most people on here and I got hammered for daring to question any aspect of him.

Right, hang on Col. It's not a "love in". It's a "you don't have a blooming clue what went on in".

If someone comes on here and says, I don't know what went on, but it's quite possible that Pearson was wrong and could have handled it better. Fine, there is no problem with that. But people come on here and use it as a stick to beat the man with, they use it as a reason for not wanting him around. Which quite frankly utter bull plop.

Pearson is the manager, he and only he decides who he wants in the team, in the squad or even around the club. Whether it's football ability, money, personality whatever Pearson chose to get rid of that player because he believes eventually we will be better off without him.

Could Pearson have handled it better, maybe. Is is wrong to get rid of a man he doesn't want at the club, absolutely not.

NP's response..if we get one.

"LOOK...um....We've dealt with it internally ...err...and the matter is now closed as far as I'm concerned, ...um....Matt is now a Bolton player. What goes on behind closed doors will remain firmly there......um.... I'm a big believer in making sure we do things the right way and the right thing was done for all parties.......um....".

That's sounds about right but you forgot a few of these.

i dont like/rate NP yet im not going to use this to slate him as i dont know exactly whats gone off..

i find it funny though that it was ok for loads to hammer mills in the other thread, calling him loads etc based on RUMOURS.. yet now when a couple of people wonder if NP could have done things different people go all on the defensive and say its bull as no one knows what went off..

Probably gonna get shot down in flames for this because the thread seems to have become something of a Pearson love-in. Reminds me of the start of last season when Sven could simply do no wrong in the eyes of most people on here and I got hammered for daring to question any aspect of him.

Am I missing something or are you saying, given your scenario above, that managing in this apparent way, is the only way of managing people, whether they be footballers, bin men or astro-physicists?

Pearson could for example, have said to Mills that he was being dropped until he saw a marked improvement in his attitude and could have suggested that he was most probably going to have to be sold at the end of the season for financial reasons. This may have seen Mills markedly up his game, or seen him sulk ever further. The point I'm making is that dropping a player, with little explanation as to why, and to send that player to train with the kids seems very very severe. And don't forget, this was the club captain and, if the stats given right at the start of the thread are to be believed, actually not the worst 'defender' at the club.

Of course, the explanation Mills gave was a one sided one, it all depends if you believe it or not.

But if true, even partially, this does imply somewhat draconian measures on the part of Pearson. And, I would suggest, not the only way that the situation could have been managed.

If Mills now goes on to have a great season at Bolton and helps them to gain promotion I won't lose any sleep over it, he's gone, end of. But if City struggle this season I will certainly be slightly questioning of this whole affair.

Finally, if Pearson does sort out the defensive side of the team and we go on to have a successful season, I'll believe that his alleged actions were spot on and my trust in the man will improve further.

I guess time will tell.

No, I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that it seems to be Pearson's way in those two cases. I don't think I would have handled it in the same way if I was him. But we don't know what else he may have tried or thought about trying before. To be honest it's all just guess work, so all we can do is speculate as to what went on.

Pearson had to make a judgement about how to manage someone of Mills' character. Different people respond differently to the same treatment. In this case Pearson might have judged that the friendly approach wouldn't have worked, so he tried the less P.C. way of getting the task done.

It doesn't really matter what me or anyone else thinks about whether it was the right way to go about it. My point was just that is what I think could have happened here, that's all. Also I think we would be naive to think that this type of treatment would not be applied in other industries either. As much as we may like to be utopian about things, in reality that's not normally the way things always pan out.

i dont like/rate NP yet im not going to use this to slate him as i dont know exactly whats gone off..

i find it funny though that it was ok for loads to hammer mills in the other thread, calling him loads etc based on RUMOURS.. yet now when a couple of people wonder if NP could have done things different people go all on the defensive and say its bull as no one knows what went off..

Well first off, is it the same people?

Secondly, there have been way more than a couple of people ripping bits out of Pearson since Christmas about all these "bust ups" that have been flatly denied by each and every player.

Right, hang on Col. It's not a "love in". It's a "you don't have a blooming clue what went on in".

If someone comes on here and says, I don't know what went on, but it's quite possible that Pearson was wrong and could have handled it better. Fine, there is no problem with that. But people come on here and use it as a stick to beat the man with, they use it as a reason for not wanting him around. Which quite frankly utter bull plop.

Pearson is the manager, he and only he decides who he wants in the team, in the squad or even around the club. Whether it's football ability, money, personality whatever Pearson chose to get rid of that player because he believes eventually we will be better off without him.

Could Pearson have handled it better, maybe. Is is wrong to get rid of a man he doesn't want at the club, absolutely not.

I've read through latter half of the thread a few times and I haven't seen many people beating anyone with a stick. Quite the opposite in fact.

Of course I don't know what went on. And I'd suggest 99.9% of people on here don't know what's going on with many aspects of Leicester City football club. That's why I keep stating 'We have only had Mills version of the story'.

I was making a point of principle and about how to manage people to get the best out of them. Autocracy doesn't have to be the only way. You possibly seem to think it does, based upon some of your previous comments ?

Pearson may manage the club, but I support it so if I'm a little concerned about certain aspects of his management or his 'percieved' management then I'll question them, as this is a football forum.

Like I did last year with Sven. The difference this time is that I have far more trust in Pearson improving our fortunes.

My perception of some of your comments on Pearson, whether rightly or wrongly is that you appear to want to very much defend him in nie on everything he does. And seem to wish to quell those opinions which you deem 'dissent' or questioning. I may be wrong and apologise if I am....it's just my perception.

I'm a big Pearson fan, but some balance to views and opinions is best IMO, which, incidentally, is what I always said about views on our previous manager.

I wonder how Shanks,Paisley or Cloughie would have dealt with the 'whatever the situation was' and ultimately does it really matter?Our opinions matter fvck all to NP and he clearly IS the boss and personally I like that quality.

I've read through latter half of the thread a few times and I haven't seen many people beating anyone with a stick. Quite the opposite in fact.

Have you not read the forum since Christmas, I would wager £10 to charity I could find at least 10 posts today that contain things along the lines of "he can't control egos", "he falls out with players" etc etc.

I was making a point of principle and about how to manage people to get the best out of them. Autocracy doesn't have to be the only way. You possibly seem to think it does, based upon some if your previous comments ?

What if Pearson didn't rate him?

What if Pearson thought he was disruptive?

What if Pearson believes you should not have people under minding your authority?

What if Pearson believes money from his sale and wages could be put to better use?

What if Pearson was under orders to cut costs?

Of course there are most probably better ways of getting the best out of someone, but that's presuming the manager wants them around in the first place. If he wants rid he will do what he can to force the player into a move. What Pearson did to Mills was the same tactic he employed to Bullard at Hull. They wanted and needed him off the books and they did what it took to make it happen, no matter what.

Pearson may manage the club, but I support it so if I'm a little concerned about certain aspects of his management or his 'percieved' management then I'll question them, as this is a football forum.

As I already said, questioning is fine. Others don't leave it at that.

My perception of yourself, whether rightly or wrongly is that you appear to want to completely defend Pearson in everything he does. And seem to wish to quell any opinion which you deem 'dissent' or questioning. I may be wrong, it's just my perception.

Rubbish. If he makes a poor decision, whether it's a signing, a sub, a tactic I will say so. I can see those things with my own eyes on the pitch. But I won't stand by and watch people slag him off for things they know nothing about.

You say balance. But so many people bring out the argument thing constantly, yet all three players have flatly denied it. Who has the balance, the man rubbishing those slating the manager, or those slating the manager?

I missed the interview but I don't need to hear it, it has been clear to me since his last stint in charge that Pearson has issues with any player who has a bigger ego than himself or is more high profile than Mr Pearson himself.

Lets take a look that season where Middlesbrough got relegated from the Premiership with the likes of Ravanelli, Juninho, Festa and Emerson... Nigel Pearson captained that team to relegation. I bet he's still having nightmares about that experience. He hasn't got it in him to manage a team that allows for skillful or high profile players.

I missed the interview but I don't need to hear it, it has been clear to me since his last stint in charge that Pearson has issues with any player who has a bigger ego than himself or is more high profile that Mr Pearson himself.

Lets take a look that season where Middlesbrough got relegated from the Premiership with the likes of Ravanelli, Juninho, Festa and Emerson... Nigel Pearson captained that team to relegation. I bet he's still having nightmares about that experience. He hasn't got it in him to manage a team that allows for skillful or high profile players.

They also reached two cup finals. He also captained a second division side to a League Cup win. And captained a side in Sheffield Wednesday to third place and two more cup finals.

His playing career, mostly as a leader, is littered with cup finals, promotions, yet he's had one bad time and you select that in isolation?

His playing career, mostly as a leader, is littered with cup finals, promotions, yet he's had one bad time and you select that in isolation?

Yes I selected that season because it was probably the best squad of players he had played with, and yet failed miserably?

Very similar to with us last season he had the best squad of players available to him in management. failing miserably and falling out with players left right and center. I know it wasn't entirely his fault, but as captain of that Middlesbrough side it was his job as well as the managers to get the team playing together. It is so obvious that he can only manage a certain type of player, I don't believe there are enough of those out there good enough to get us up to the Premiership.

Have you not read the forum since Christmas, I would wager £10 to charity I could find at least 10 posts today that contain things along the lines of "he can't control egos", "he falls out with players" etc etc.

What if Pearson didn't rate him?

What if Pearson thought he was disruptive?

What if Pearson believes you should not have people under minding your authority?

What if Pearson believes money from his sale and wages could be put to better use?

What if Pearson was under orders to cut costs?

Of course there are most probably better ways of getting the best out of someone, but that's presuming the manager wants them around in the first place. If he wants rid he will do what he can to force the player into a move. What Pearson did to Mills was the same tactic he employed to Bullard at Hull. They wanted and needed him off the books and they did what it took to make it happen, no matter what.

As I already said, questioning is fine. Others don't leave it at that.

Rubbish. If he makes a poor decision, whether it's a signing, a sub, a tactic I will say so. I can see those things with my own eyes on the pitch. But I won't stand by and watch people slag him off for things they know nothing about.

You say balance. But so many people bring out the argument thing constantly, yet all three players have flatly denied it. Who has the balance, the man rubbishing those slating the manager, or those slating the manager?

I guess this is my point. You categorically state 'what Pearson did to Mills was the same tactic he employed to Bullard at Hull'....

Firstly, how do you know? What evidence do you have that the 'same tactic' was used? In this respect you are falling foul of assuming that something happened in the same way as you seem to state other people do on here about all sorts of things? Or do you actually know? If so, I apologise...

Secondly, if so.... There are other ways of managing people you don't want to manage other than dropping them like a stone in water. If you are correct in your assertion this form of man management is one that some applaud, whilst some don't.

However, as I said before, if it's true and if it proves to get results in this case, then happy days. If not, then it will need questioning.

I guess this is my point. You categorically state 'what Pearson did to Mills was the same tactic he employed to Bullard at Hull'....

Firstly, how do you know? What evidence do you have that the 'same tactic' was used? In this respect you are falling foul of assuming that something happened in the same way as you state many do on here about all sorts of things? Or do you actually know? If so, I apologise...

Pearson relegated Bullard to train with the kids until he left the club. Pearson relegated Mills to train with the kids until the left the club. Both freely admitted by either the clubs involved or the players.

Secondly, if so.... There are other ways of managing people you don't want to manage other than dropping them like a stone in water. If you are correct in your assertion this form of man management is one that some applaud, whilst some don't.

Ok lets say Pearson wanted rid of Mills (which seems fairly clear), how do you suggest he could have handled it differently? Mills admitted he received a call to say he was free to leave the club on loan and he refused. Do you keep playing him, keep him in the squad, keep him training with a team you never want him in again?

Yes I selected that season because it was probably the best squad of players he had played with, and yet failed miserably?

Very similar to with us last season he had the best squad of players available to him in management. failing miserably and falling out with players left right and center. I know it wasn't entirely his fault, but as captain of that Middlesbrough side it was his job as well as the managers to get the team playing together. It is so obvious that he can only manage a certain type of player, I don't believe there are enough of those out there good enough to get us up to the Premiership.

What an utter pile of dross. If it's not you are actually admitting he was correct in getting rid of Mills, because according to you as Captain Mills failed also to get the team playing together... Just as Pearson did at Boro.

Laughable.

Pearson relegated Bullard to train with the kids until he left the club. Pearson relegated Mills to train with the kids until the left the club. Both freely admitted by either the clubs involved or the players.

Bullard was the highest earning player at Hull. Mills was the highest earning player at Leicester. ??

look mills is a twat. you call him a leader? he was more like a mouse half the time. he shat his pants at reading and he causes trouble, goodbye you blonde/ginger ****.

How eloquently put.

So when he got relegated with boro it was all his fault not the managers? And he fell out with Mills and that's it nobody else. And before you say it St. Ledger does not apply here. That was his problem.

Ok lets say Pearson wanted rid of Mills (which seems fairly clear), how do you suggest he could have handled it differently? Mills admitted he received a call to say he was free to leave the club on loan and he refused. Do you keep playing him, keep him in the squad, keep him training with a team you never want him in again?

Well I can see two options.

1. You sit face to face with the player, discuss what you are not happy about, be honest about it and suggest that he's going to be dropped for the present time. You also be honest about the wage bill and suggest that he may well be leaving at the end of the season... Or not if he trains really well and fights to regain his place whilst the finances are being looked into further. Maybe also suggest to him that if he plays really well this season it could help him to furnish a move somewhere else at the end of the campaign. And you'll help him to find the right club if that has to be the case.

2. You drop him, phone him to say he's available for loan, make yourself pretty much unavailable to talk to, then have your best paid player training with the kids.

I have no idea which of these options happened?

If you believe Mills it was option 2. It may have been a mix and match of both.. Pearson may have been as nice as pie with Mills... Who knows?

I'd do option 1 personally if I was managing the situation. This is how i generally manage people. There is a right way to treat people in my opinion.

Anyway, I doubt we will ever know the truth and I'm off on mi hols.

Adios amigo....

he could leave the club on loan now or permo in the summer, but he wanted to stay true the fans and not leave

Please don't tell me you believe that.

Archived