Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trickyfox

Formation for next season

It isn't about a single formation for me. It's about having something extra, a plan B against backs to the wall tinpot clubs, that we need to come up with an alternative for. Pearson needs a backup plan, something we haven't had for too many seasons now.

By all means go 442 but have something up your sleeve that could be classed as "unpredictable".

Guest ttfn

I have no idea how good De Laet, James or Vardy are. In fact I'd be astonished if anybody on this board has seen any of them play more than 10 times.

Pre-season's going to be interesting.

In an ideal world I'd like to see us play 4-3-3 with Danns, King and AN other (maybe a hard bastard) in the middle. This would give us a genuine goal threat from the centre of the park. Up front, I'd want to see Marshall on one side and one of Vardy (depending entirely on how good he is), Dyer, Schlupp or Waghorn on the other.

Defence currently looks like it picks itself, so I'm sure we'll be strengthening there.

Guest ttfn

I don't feel like he has brought in players to play in a 4-4-2. I think Pearson has always favoured 4-4-2 in the past because it's a system to which a wide variety of players can adapt, and which is easy for limited players to get to grips with (case in point: Hodgson's England).

The players he's brought in are dynamic, creative central midfielders and wide players who are more likely to attack the box than hit the byline and whip a ball in. If he wanted 4-4-2 as his main priority I think he'd have gone out and bought a big striker, some wingers who can get the ball high into the box and more robust, athletic but less creatively minded centre mids.

Schmeichel

de Laet Morgan St. Ledger(?) Konchesky

James

Drinkwater Danns

Vardy---------------------------Marshall

Nugent

I'm speculating, I could be totally off, but it doesn't feel like he's building a 4-4-2.

I agree, but I hope and expect that King will be a starter under Pearson assuming that he is fully recovered from his injury.

I am probably in a minority of one here, but I quite like Dyer in the wide right position. I know he has no right foot, but I think him being in that position adds to our goal threat, and with a mobile (rather than lumbering centre forward) it's more suited to playing passes into the front man rather than crossing it. It would also allow Marshall to cut in from the left.

We're in the strange position of having next to nobody who can play wide midfield in a 4-4-2 (Dyer, Marshall) but a solid 5 or 6 players who can play as a wide forward in a 4-3-3 (Dyer, Marshall, Waghorn, Schlupp, Nugent, Vardy by all accounts).

Thinking about it for a while I agree NP doesn't seem yet to have focused on bringing in players for a 442 formation with width.

Can see it being something like a 4-3-1-2. With Danns, King, Drinkwater/James starting the season and Marshall just playing off a front two of Nugent, Beckford or Vardy.

Guest ttfn

No he played deep in midfield. If he plays further forward his runs are too easily found out

I think this is a slight myth. King was neither a particularly deep or advanced midfielder when at his goalscoring best. He operated on a box-to-box basis.

But yes, I agree with your general point, having him in an advanced starting position doesn't work

Schmeichel

De Laet Morgan Chester Koncheskey

Danns James

Marshall Nugent Vardy

Beckford

Subs: Logan, Moore, SSL, Drinkwater, King, Dyer, Schlupp.

For what it's worth, that would be my starting XI for the opening game, providing if Chester does sign.

At the moment I want this but I hope a few signings change it:

Schmeichel

De Laet

Chester/SSL

Morgan

Konchesky

Marshall

James/King

Danns ©

Kennedy

Nugent

Beckford

Subs: Pernis, Futacs, Gallagher, Dyer, Drinkwater, Waghorn, Moore

At the moment I want this but I hope a few signings change it:

Schmeichel

De Laet

Chester/SSL

Morgan

Konchesky

Marshall

James/King

Danns ©

Kennedy

Nugent

Beckford

Subs: Pernis, Futacs, Gallagher, Dyer, Drinkwater, Waghorn, Moore

You sold Vardy then Ealing?

I think our squad this season compared to this time last season is spot on. Sven attempted the '2 players for every position' system but got it so wrong and unbalanced. I feel NP has got it right at the minute with players on the fringes who will be prepared to wait for their chance.

Schmeichel/Logan

Peltier/Moore

De Laet/St Ledger/Morgan/New CB? Bolger? Parkes?

Konchesky/Kennedy

Marshall/Gallagher

Danns/Drinkwater/King/Wellens/James

Dyer/Vardy

Beckford/Schlupp

Nugent/Waghorn

I think our squad this season compared to this time last season is spot on. Sven attempted the '2 players for every position' system but got it so wrong and unbalanced. I feel NP has got it right at the minute with players on the fringes who will be prepared to wait for their chance.

Schmeichel/Logan

Peltier (going leeds) /Moore / De Laet ( RB more than likely )

St Ledger/Morgan/New CB? Bolger? Parkes? (decent CB to come in may be enough)

Konchesky/Kennedy

Marshall/Gallagher (debatable)

Danns/Drinkwater/King/Wellens/James (injured/ needs replacing)

Dyer/Vardy (needs replacing)

Beckford/Schlupp (rumoured to be going out on loan)

Nugent/Waghorn

wing and upfront needs strengthening yet imo..

think defence when we get a new CB will be strong and no nonsense and imagine NP sees that as the main focus..

• 2 weeks later...

After attending training session yesterday and feeling first real buzz for new season, Interested get people's views on how we will line up, formation and player selection? Nigel appears to have brought together a squad hopefully strong enough to challenge for promotion this season.

However, we do seem to have an abundance of centre midfielders and forwards (this is not a negative), just hope we don't plan on pulling these players out of position to fulfill wider areas of the pitch. I know we have players who can operate wide if need be but it looks as though the only natural width we have is Dyer and Marshall. Assuming Marhsall is probably a given after the way he conluded last season and the players at Nigel's disposal suggests 4,3,3, otherwise we could have a fair few unhappy campers. Who will start?

Central Midfield - Drinkwater, James, Wellens, King, Danns

Strikers - Vardy, Beckford, Waghorn, Shlupp, Nugent, Futaks, Gallagher

midfield : Marshall James Danns Vardy strikers : Beckford Futcas/Nugent

or

midfield: Drinkwater James Danns

strikers: Nugent Beckford Vardy

Lets not forget Matty James has just had knee surgery not so long ago and I don't think he's played a game of football since. I don't think he'll be a starter imo.

Archived