Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
longy

Vinyl

On 03/12/2023 at 23:22, Costello said:

Just got the Rega Planar 1 plus delivered today, looks amazing and still confused. I thought the fact that it has a pre-amp means you can connect to active speakers without the need for a separate amp ? It’s not that clear !

I know next to nothing about active speakers but my understanding is that they're a speaker with an amp built in.

Your turntable has got a red and white/black pair of stereo outputs, yeah?  

That would be perfect for connecting to my amplifier but I must admit I don't know what connections active speakers normally have on them 

On 04/12/2023 at 13:10, Libertine said:

Yeh you shouldn't need anything more than speakers if it's got a preamp installed already, mine's the same.

What's yours connected to?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

What's yours connected to?

Bogstandard Edifier speakers https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B089KMM3B6/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1701792617&refinements=p_4%3AEdifier&s=receiver-speakers&sr=1-2

Though it seems it's my speakers that have the amp inbuilt as opposed to the turntable? I have no idea! Either way, I have no separate amp. lol

Edited by Libertine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Libertine said:

Bogstandard Edifier speakers https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B089KMM3B6/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1701792617&refinements=p_4%3AEdifier&s=receiver-speakers&sr=1-2

Though it seems it's my speakers that have the amp inbuilt as opposed to the turntable? I have no idea! Either way, I have no separate amp. lol

Oh, that makes perfect sense. Something like this should work for you, Costello.

Two speakers, with the amp built into the right hand one, the left just being a 'passive', normal speaker.

Do they sound good? It's a very cost effective way of doing it if they do.

Just been looking at the used prices of my amp, and was amazed to see that they still go for the best part of 200 quid nearly 20 years on

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Oh, that makes perfect sense. Something like this should work for you, Costello.

Two speakers, with the amp built into the right hand one, the left just being a 'passive', normal speaker.

Just been looking at the used prices of my amp, and was amazed to see that they still go for the best part of 200 quid nearly 20 years on

Sound good enough for me, but this is my first turntable so very much not an expert.

On 05/12/2023 at 17:22, Bellend Sebastian said:

Yeah thanks BS….was in Richer Sounds last week and they tested out some speakers with a turntable in their sound proof room. I’m like Libertine, I’ve had a Sony basic turntable with built in speaker for a year and now I’m upgrading. 

Do we assume the 1st side of almost all albums is the stronger side.

The lovely Mrs Oz just put on an album (rare as she'll usually just CD or Alexa) and she just said, "I dont care which side it is".

It was an old fave or mine "All the Fun of the Fair" By David Essex. Which is stronger side1 im sure...

Is it just me or is side one usually better?

• 2 weeks later...

Went into town today to see what the record shops had to offer. Googled it and according to that and each of their Facebook pages they were all open today. Rockaboom and Out Of Joint Records in the Malcolm Arcade, and Beat Route on Cank Street 2 seconds away. Got there and... they were all closed lol. Had a look round HMV whose selection takes up half the top floor now. 3 for £55. Will head back after payday for a couple of things. Ended up in the British Heart Foundation shop and bought this for £1. 

GLENN_MILLER_PLAYS+SELECTIONS+FROM+THE+G

Any good online shops I should be looking at?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Went into town today to see what the record shops had to offer. Googled it and according to that and each of their Facebook pages they were all open today. Rockaboom and Out Of Joint Records in the Malcolm Arcade, and Beat Route on Cank Street 2 seconds away. Got there and... they were all closed lol. Had a look round HMV whose selection takes up half the top floor now. 3 for £55. Will head back after payday for a couple of things. Ended up in the British Heart Foundation shop and bought this for £1. 

I've been using this one lately. Not a local website but their second hand stuff is in really good nick and reasonably priced. Group of record collecting friends built it up from scratch.

https://uk.rarevinyl.com/

On 09/01/2024 at 19:38, urban.spaceman said:

https://www.juno.co.uk/

Got this at an op shop the other day...  amazing voice... had barely heard her name before.. but a real legend.

image.png.ecd44894ee4d04e91d5e380577c4202c.png

On the other hand... i also got a Diana Ross Live album.... I shouldve known better, im not generally a fan of live and this has confirmed my distaste... 4 sides of meh :( 

Edited by ozleicester

On 09/01/2024 at 19:38, urban.spaceman said:

Also check out Rarewaves, got this for less than 7 quid, low/free postage on most orders too

https://www.rarewaves.com/products/5053760091783-still-life

image.png.5827d88bef146638e358e18be03e6607.png

• Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 16:55, TheLittleBigMan said:

I've been using this one lately. Not a local website but their second hand stuff is in really good nick and reasonably priced. Group of record collecting friends built it up from scratch.

https://uk.rarevinyl.com/

On 18/01/2024 at 22:45, MrsJohnMurphy said:

On 19/01/2024 at 21:08, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Also check out Rarewaves, got this for less than 7 quid, low/free postage on most orders too

https://www.rarewaves.com/products/5053760091783-still-life

image.png.5827d88bef146638e358e18be03e6607.png

Wonderful, thank you so much!

• Like 1