Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
longy

Vinyl

Not sure where to post this, but hoping someone here can help with some advice.

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of these pretty cheaply... as they are  Wharfs, i assume (and google suggests) they are pretty good... anyone here have any knowledge or feedback they can give me?....

Wharfedale Diamond 9.6

Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 - buy speakers: prices, reviews, specifications >  price in stores Great Britain: London, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham,  Edinburgh

Also.. the connections look a bit weird... hows does that work? (ignore the 9.1 im looking at 9.6 but same connections)

image.png.76ba26028dd733bdacb16ea02a525a61.png

Edited by ozleicester

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Not sure where to post this, but hoping someone here can help with some advice.

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of these pretty cheaply... as they are  Wharfs, i assume (and google suggests) they are pretty good... anyone here have any knowledge or feedback they can give me?....

Wharfedale Diamond 9.6

Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 - buy speakers: prices, reviews, specifications >  price in stores Great Britain: London, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham,  Edinburgh

Also.. the connections look a bit weird... hows does that work? (ignore the 9.1 im looking at 9.6 but same connections)

image.png.76ba26028dd733bdacb16ea02a525a61.png

I've owned wharfdale in the past and they were great speakers, but weren't the 9.6.  But they have a good rep so I would buy them.  What is it about the wiring that you find wierd?  I wired my amp and cd this way and ran them through one set of speakers.  

But 2 sets are for bi-wiring for low frequency and high frequency from the receiver (2 sets of wires), which improves the sound.

If you bi-wire remove the plate (the gold plate bit you see above)

4 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I've owned wharfdale in the past and they were great speakers, but weren't the 9.6.  But they have a good rep so I would buy them.  What is it about the wiring that you find wierd?  I wired my amp and cd this way and ran them through one set of speakers.  

But 2 sets are for bi-wiring for low frequency and high frequency from the receiver (2 sets of wires), which improves the sound.

If you bi-wire remove the plate (the gold plate bit you see above)

Cheers :)

Thanks for the "Bi-wiring" i wasnt aware of that before... but it looks like i can just single wire no worries... just got to try and grab them from the seller before they realise what theyve got lol 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Anyone got any good tips for a 'beginner' player? Just want a cheap as one, not bothered too much about quality just yet, just need a basic player

My Audio Technica is decent. About £250. Most will tell you to avoid the likes of Crosley and other cheapo/‘suitcase’ players as they’ll likely damage your vinyl.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Libertine said:

My Audio Technica is decent. About £250. Most will tell you to avoid the likes of Crosley and other cheapo/‘suitcase’ players as they’ll likely damage your vinyl.

This

Get an Audio Technica with a built in Pre-amp, the get some powered speakers like Edifier

Something like this 

https://www.kbaudio.co.uk/products/edifier-r1280t-audio-technica-lp60xusb-turntable-speaker-bundle?variant=39764047429678&dfw_tracker=140324-shopify_GB_6717849108526_39764047429678&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjMKqBhCgARIsAPDgWlwWOUNj4QhRGjB9ZyCULPjZxWUnzdz2EE7gUq3R-Fbvi-bAOWNovVMaAmN3EALw_wcB

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2023 at 01:40, Fox92 said:

I picked up a nice Monkees EP the other week for £3. Cleaned a little but plays great now.

I'm A Believer / Last Train To Clarkesville / Daydream Believer / A Little Bit Of Me

image.thumb.png.06744592d2208970cc4458075354fb47.png 

Still got my original of this 😁

• Haha 1

I've been getting back into the vinyl. A heartbreaker, but I sold all of my vinyl in a job lot back in 1986, just before joining the Royal Navy - it pains me to think what I had, most of the Smiths 12" singles and some really decent stuff - anyway, it went !! 

Looking to upgrade to a decent turntable and the Rega Planar 1 plus looks both affordable and decent. Stupid question....do I need an amp/speakers with this or is it built in ? 

On 24/11/2023 at 13:10, Costello said:

I've been getting back into the vinyl. A heartbreaker, but I sold all of my vinyl in a job lot back in 1986, just before joining the Royal Navy - it pains me to think what I had, most of the Smiths 12" singles and some really decent stuff - anyway, it went !! 

Looking to upgrade to a decent turntable and the Rega Planar 1 plus looks both affordable and decent. Stupid question....do I need an amp/speakers with this or is it built in ? 

Have you invested yet?

If not, Dr Marco is right, you'd need an amp and speakers. I'm a bit out of touch having not bought kit for ages but when buying an amp for a turntable make sure it's got a dedicated phono/turntable input, especially if buying second hand.  With the resurgence of vinyl they've probably got them on again but there was a time when they didn't always include them (my NAD amp from about 2004 doesn't have one) and you need one for a turntable as the input signal is a lot lower than from other sources - if there isn't one you need to buy a separate phono stage/pre amp.

I think the old rule still applies: spend the most on the 'source' (turntable, CD player or whatever) slightly less on the amp and slightly less again on the speakers, the principle being that a component can't miraculously make the thing being fed into it better than it is, if that makes sense

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Have you invested yet?

If not, Dr Marco is right, you'd need an amp and speakers. I'm a bit out of touch having not bought kit for ages but when buying an amp for a turntable make sure it's got a dedicated phono/turntable input, especially if buying second hand.  With the resurgence of vinyl they've probably got them on again but there was a time when they didn't always include them (my NAD amp from about 2004 doesn't have one) and you need one for a turntable as the input signal is a lot lower than from other sources - if there isn't one you need to buy a separate phono stage/pre amp.

I think the old rule still applies: spend the most on the 'source' (turntable, CD player or whatever) slightly less on the amp and slightly less again on the speakers, the principle being that a component can't miraculously make the thing being fed into it better than it is, if that makes sense

Just got the Rega Planar 1 plus delivered today, looks amazing and still confused. I thought the fact that it has a pre-amp means you can connect to active speakers without the need for a separate amp ? It’s not that clear !