Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

NME's Ultimate Musical Icon of the last 60 years

Alex Turner?!

ALEX TURNER!?

ALEX TUUUUURRRRRNNNNEEEER?!!

If I asked my mum and dad who those people were, they'd know 7 or 8 of them (I also think they'd struggle with Ian Curtis, bless his miserable socks!), but not Alex Turner. In fact I suspect anyone not a fan of indie music in particular would struggle to name say what band Alex Turner is in. The Arctic Monkeys have done many fine tunes, but are hardly genre breaking or making. If you were going to look in that direction then surely the likes of Damon Albarn or Thom Yorke should take precedence?

For me the notable exception from the list is Neil Young. Hugely influentially across a range of music and still going strong after 45+ years.

But NME appeals to a wide audience of varying genres, so to me it makes sense. Turner's a great song writer and isn't even indie anyway: he's alternative.

Still can't believe the lack of Bob Dylan. He should easily be in the top ten, if not the top three. Can't argue with number one though, Lennon is a massive influence on loads of people; including Cobain.

Personally, my top three would be Lennon, Bowie and Dylan.

Really surprised they included Ian Curtis, i totally agree with including him in the list mind. He seems to go unnoticed by a large number of people, for such a young age his lyrics were incredible.

And to those questioning Alex Turner's inclusion, I'd imagine it's because The Arctic Monkeys are the band of a generation and they are attempting to keep up the appeal for people of my kind of age (20). But he is nowhere near the names on that list, totally agree with the post about Bob Dylan too.

this is the magazine who hailed andrew wk as the saviour of rock n roll and feature pixie lott and cheryl cole. it reads like a comic and offers no musical opinion. just insults.

lennon number one? mmmm yeah with mccartney ok but solo he did as much dross as mccartney. listen to those albums. cobain, im biased, he was where it started for me but i can see how he's not everyones cup of tea. cant be doing with morrissey. the smiths for me are vastly overrated. hendrix is hendrix. no arguments there. alex turner. good lyricist fair play. liam gallagher? do me a favour. great hair. fantastic hair in fact but he's hardly scott walker.

I'm starting to think that Fox92 might be a Beatles fan.

:thumbup:

lennon number one? mmmm yeah with mccartney ok but solo he did as much dross as mccartney. listen to those albums. cobain, im biased, he was where it started for me but i can see how he's not everyones cup of tea. cant be doing with morrissey. the smiths for me are vastly overrated. hendrix is hendrix. no arguments there. alex turner. good lyricist fair play. liam gallagher? do me a favour. great hair. fantastic hair in fact but he's hardly scott walker.

You do know that although Beatles songs were credited to 'Lennon/McCartney' most of them were just wrote by the one. Apart from the very early stuff and the odd song later on ('A Day In The Life' for example) most of the songs were either Lennon or McCartney. 'All You Need Is Love' was written by John Lennon for example, and on the other side of things 'Yesterday' was all McCartney.

Lennon's later music, did go more rocky but take nothing away from 'Imagine', 'Watching The Wheels', 'Jealous Guy', 'Starting Over', 'Beautiful Boy', 'Woman', 'Mind Games' (I can continue), all of which are sensational top quality songs. Every artist has wrote some rubbish, but with The Beatles, and John Lennon solo music, the majority of the stuff is quality.

But influencing doesn't just include music, it's everything, and Lennon (becaue he was voted #1) has influenced thousands of artists.. Bowie, The Jam, Oasis, Alex Turner, Kurt Cobain, Hendrix, Dylan etc

Archived