Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

NME's Ultimate Musical Icon of the last 60 years

lennonIconPushDown180912Updated.jpg

John Lennon has been named as NME's Ultimate Musical Icon of the last 60 years.

The Beatles' co-frontman topped the poll, which began with 60 nominees in March of this year, beating out the likes of David Bowie, Amy Winehouse, Arctic Monkeys' Alex Turner, Morrissey, Liam Gallagher and Damon Albarn to take the crown.

JohnLennon04PA141210.jpg

Former

Oasis frontman Liam Gallaghercame second in the poll, with David Bowie in third and Alex Turner in fourth. Nirvana's Kurt Cobain came fifth, Amy Winehouse came sixth, with Jimi Hendrix in seventh place.

Morrissey ranked in eighth place, with Noel Gallagher in ninth and Ian Curtis in 10th place.

Over 160,000 votes were cast in the poll, which ran for over six months and has taken place to celebrate NME's 60th birthday. You can read the definitive list of all 60 icons in this week's issue of NME, which is on newsstands tomorrow (September 19) oravailable digitally.

The Top 10 in the poll to find NME's Ultimate Musical Icon of the last 60 years are as follows:

1. John Lennon

2. Liam Gallagher

3. David Bowie

4. Alex Turner

5. Kurt Cobain

6. Amy Winehouse

7. Jimi Hendrix

8. Morrissey

9. Noel Gallagher

10. Ian Curtis

Right, so no Freddie Mercury, Dave Grohl, Prince, Jonny Cash, Ian Brown, Mick or Keith Jagger,

What a pile of shit this magazine is

I cannot understand their reasoning & would argue against most of them..........Liam Gallagher No.2???? Alex Turner No.4????

Dying young certainly helped a couple of people make it onto the list. I'm not saying that they are not talented people in their own right, but to be considered the top 10 musical icons of the last 60 years is utter madness.

The mind boggles at how many people should be on the list ahead of those that are

I'm not surprised that the Gallaghers are in there, because for people of a certain age, Oasis do still seem to be the band by which all others are judged, like it or not.

To be honest, I don't think the list is that outrageous. The NME's never been a rock journal, so it's hardly surprising that Freddie Mercury isn't there. Dave Grohl seems like a fine bloke, but the Foo Fighters are hardly genre defining, are they? I know everyone hates Morrissey, but in the 1980s he was probably the alternative star in the UK at least, and they sold more copies whenever he was on the cover.

I'm a bit surprised that Ian Brown isn't in there, given the Stone Roses love in at the moment, although I'm not sure that proclaiming oneself King Monkey and singing really flat would qualify anyway

I'm not surprised that the Gallaghers are in there, because for people of a certain age, Oasis do still seem to be the band by which all others are judged, like it or not.

To be honest, I don't think the list is that outrageous. The NME's never been a rock journal, so it's hardly surprising that Freddie Mercury isn't there. Dave Grohl seems like a fine bloke, but the Foo Fighters are hardly genre defining, are they? I know everyone hates Morrissey, but in the 1980s he was probably the alternative star in the UK at least, and they sold more copies whenever he was on the cover.

I'm a bit surprised that Ian Brown isn't in there, given the Stone Roses love in at the moment, although I'm not sure that proclaiming oneself King Monkey and singing really flat would qualify anyway

lol

Right, so no Freddie Mercury, Dave Grohl, Prince, Jonny Cash, Ian Brown, Mick or Keith Jagger,

What a pile of shit this magazine is

Thank fook for that.

Alex Turner?!

ALEX TURNER!?

ALEX TUUUUURRRRRNNNNEEEER?!!

If I asked my mum and dad who those people were, they'd know 7 or 8 of them (I also think they'd struggle with Ian Curtis, bless his miserable socks!), but not Alex Turner. In fact I suspect anyone not a fan of indie music in particular would struggle to name say what band Alex Turner is in. The Arctic Monkeys have done many fine tunes, but are hardly genre breaking or making. If you were going to look in that direction then surely the likes of Damon Albarn or Thom Yorke should take precedence?

For me the notable exception from the list is Neil Young. Hugely influentially across a range of music and still going strong after 45+ years.

Alex Turner?!

ALEX TURNER!?

ALEX TUUUUURRRRRNNNNEEEER?!!

If I asked my mum and dad who those people were, they'd know 7 or 8 of them (I also think they'd struggle with Ian Curtis, bless his miserable socks!), but not Alex Turner. In fact I suspect anyone not a fan of indie music in particular would struggle to name say what band Alex Turner is in. The Arctic Monkeys have done many fine tunes, but are hardly genre breaking or making. If you were going to look in that direction then surely the likes of Damon Albarn or Thom Yorke should take precedence?

For me the notable exception from the list is Neil Young. Hugely influentially across a range of music and still going strong after 45+ years.

this.

I'm not even sure what icon means in this context. I can see why Neil Young would be regarded as influential, and respected, but in terms of public awareness, which presumably there'd be a lot of if you were to be seen as iconic, he's way behind the likes of Dylan, I'd have thought.

As an icon (as I understand it) the most mystifying absence from the list is Mr Presley

NME could escape a lot of ridicule if they just renamed the list 'best Bristish musical icon of the last 60 years.' As it were, Lennon is without doubt the correct choice, but still, no Morrison, no Dylan? Surely they are shoe-in for the top 10. That being said, NME thrives on generating debate/backlash.

I used to take a lot pleasure from slagging off Paul Weller, but it's a bit hollow now as I bought one of his tracks recently.

I feel dirty

Was it That Dangerous Age by any chance? I have similar feelings about the Modfather, but I really liked that when I heard it used as incidental music when the BBC showed Bradley Wiggins gold medal triumphs.

Was it That Dangerous Age by any chance? I have similar feelings about the Modfather, but I really liked that when I heard it used as incidental music when the BBC showed Bradley Wiggins gold medal triumphs.

That's EXACTLY what happened to me. Except I was in a static caravan in South West Wales when the revelation occurred, which I assume you weren't

That's EXACTLY what happened to me. Except I was in a static caravan in South West Wales when the revelation occurred, which I assume you weren't

We should definitely open that record shop.

Maybe in South West Wales?

A record shop in Tenby... I can see it now!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived