Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Back four

With CL after a left back and Sheehan being the only out & out left back and a junior I can see our regular back four consisting of

Maybury Johansson Gerrbrand and New Left Back

With Stearman, McCarthy, Sheehan and Dublin at a push being the cover.

With CL after a left back and Sheehan being the only out & out left back and a junior I can see our regular back four consisting of

Maybury Johansson Gerrbrand and New Left Back

With Stearman, McCarthy, Sheehan and Dublin at a push being the cover.

138796[/snapback]

Surely McCarthy is too good to waste as cover?

Maybury (RB)

McCarthy (CB)

Gerrbrand (CB)

Johansson (LB)

That will be one of the best defences in the league :D

138813[/snapback]

I think that'll be it too. Johansson said he prefers CB but he'll play LB if need be whereas Gerrbrand said he was a CB and didn't mention any other positions.

I would imagine the 2 centre backs will be selected purely on form, as will indeed the 2 full back positions, I imagine with the quality we now have in the back 4 it will provide CL with the option to rotate and keep the squad reasonably fresh and also be able to pick players for specific games, formations and tactics. This season we are going to have intense competition for places right the way through the team and that should help the club as players will have to be on their mettle in every game. No player will be able to sit in a comfort zone or take it easy, IMO there will be no gaurenteed places.

I would imagine at present the central defensive positions have yet to be decided and as McCarthy, Gerrbrand and Johansson are all CL signings there is unlikely to be any favouritism. It's exciting times at the Walkers.

I'll stick with my view of:

Maybury Johansson Gerrbrand and New Left Back,

Johansson Gerrbrand both have considerable experience and this will put them in pole position for the 2 central positions. CL refers to his Leftback acquisition 'as replacing Stewart' who was the regular left back. As for mixing and freshening the back four from game to game I can't see it, CL will, when he finds the right combination stick to it - the defence is the one area of the team that's does not benefit from continual change, you need consistency and team work above all else.

When I say rotate I didnt mean each game but with the quality we now have it enable CL to rest players and freshen things at key times so players are less likely to pick up injuries or performances dip below expected levels due to fatigue. CL now has the options in the squad to allow the team to perform at their maximum week in week out as he will be able to tweak the team when necessary knowing he has quality to replace them. Sorry if I was misunderstood.

I'll stick with my view of:

Maybury Johansson Gerrbrand and New Left Back,

Johansson Gerrbrand both have considerable experience and this will put them in pole position for the 2 central positions. CL refers to his Leftback acquisition 'as replacing Stewart' who was the regular left back. As for mixing and freshening the back four from game to game I can't see it, CL will, when he finds the right combination stick to it - the defence is the one area of the team that's does not benefit from continual change, you need consistency and team work above all else.

138843[/snapback]

I agree. ;)

I reckon CL will definitly get a LB in within the next week.

But if not then it will be

Maybury (RB)

McCarthy (CB)

Gerrbrand (CB)

Johansson (LB)

which isnt bad. Then if we get a LB it will be a bonus! Just toughen it up even more.

Maybury (RB)

McCarthy (CB)

Gerrbrand (CB)

Johansson (LB)

which isnt bad. Then if we get a LB it will be a bonus! Just toughen it up even more.

138947[/snapback]

this is wat i would play anyway, i think at the minute the back four picks itself

Maybury (RB)

McCarthy (CB)

Gerrbrand (CB)

Johansson (LB)

138947[/snapback]

this is wat i would play anyway, i think at the minute the back four picks itself

138949[/snapback]

BUT CL did say that he brought Nissa in to play as CB and not as left back! So either he will play maybury or Gerbrannd there or he will bring in someone else.

Am I right in thinking that Gerrbrand may play less games as he has had no break? The league he has come from is in progress now isn't it, which means he's gonna be slightly more weary than the others so could be a contender for the bench??

i think at Brammall Lane the back 4 will be:

Maybury--McCarthy--Johansson--New Left Back

McCarthy really needs to sort his discipline out or Levein wont hesisate in dropping him considering the great back up we have. I think we have our future Club Captain there though in the Mould of Stevie Walsh....Great player and would be wasted if not in the starting 11. You are all saying Gerrbrand but you havent seen him play before so who knows how good he is....

McCarthy really needs to sort his discipline out or Levein wont hesisate in dropping him considering the great back up we have. I think we have our future Club Captain there though in the Mould of Stevie Walsh....Great player and would be wasted if not in the starting 11. You are all saying Gerrbrand but you havent seen him play before so who knows how good he is....

139067[/snapback]

But Levein knows how good he is and he's the one picking the team.

139067[/snapback]

But Levein knows how good he is and he's the one picking the team.

139070[/snapback]

yer but Levein said De Vries was the man too....we all know what happened there. If he is half as good a signing as Hughes and McCarthy he shall be a worthy starter though :)

Archived