Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Some football policing 'still heavy-handed'

BBC

Some football fans are still experiencing policing which is too heavy-handed, the Football Supporters Federation says.

A report by the FSF seen by BBC Radio 5Live says some policing is aggressive and indiscriminate".

It says that many forces have a positive approach, but some still use heavy-handed tactics.

The FSF wants to see more regular contact before, during and after games between fans and match police.

In the 1970s and 80s football was plagued by hooliganism, with gangs such as the Chelsea Head Hunters, the Blades Business Crew and Derby Lunatic Fringe.

Organised 'firms' would travel the country in search of a fight as much as football.

In the years since, the game has done much to clean up its image - introducing banning orders on hooligans, family stands and all-seater stadiums.

But there are concerns that while the game may have moved on, some of those involved in policing it may not have come as far.

The FSF report says some fans are still experiencing policing that is "disproportionate, overly aggressive and indiscriminate".

Potential troublemakers

The chairman of the FSF, Malcolm Clarke, told BBC Radio 5Live Breakfast that there were lots of examples of good practice.

But he said: "I think there have been occasions where the first assumption is that a particular group of supporters from a particular club might be potential troublemakers who have to be contained and controlled."

The FSF wants officers deployed at games to be given training in "fan culture".

One force that has already adopted some of the tactics called for by the FSF is Nottinghamshire.

Last Saturday Nottingham Forest played host to Millwall, a club whose reputation for violence among its followers was forged in the 1980s, though the club and its supporters have worked to clean up their image.

At the morning police briefing, there was discussion of intelligence on "risk fans" (police-speak for people who may cause or get involved in trouble), as well as a potted history of Millwall and their form in the league.

"Millwall, unbeaten in the last six fixtures," says an officer. "Top scorer, Darion Henderson, he scored six goals. Head to head against Forest they are leading…"

It is like cross a between an episode of The Bill and Football Focus.

'Classed as hooligan'

An hour before kick-off and the Millwall fans who have travelled up for the fixture are in a bar enjoying a pint before the game starts.

In a slightly incongruous scene, a man with Millwall tattooed across his fingers is having a friendly chat with an officer wearing a fluorescent jacket with Football Liaison Officer written on the back.

The idea is that if both sides get to know each other better, the day will pass off more smoothly.

It is a million miles away from the containment strategies of a massive show of force, to make sure fans do not get out of hand.

For supporter Millwall Gaz, it is a welcome change from what he has experienced elsewhere.

"You are classed as hooligan," he says. "The minute you get off the train you are literally just a hooligan. You have no rights.

"You are pushed, shoved, you get into the game and they want you home as soon as possible. No in-betweens."

Not all of Nottinghamshire's tactics are so welcome, though.

At the city's main train station officers and Forest stewards are directing fans towards the ground.

The officer that catches my eye, though, is holding a camcorder and filming everyone who gets off the train.

It is one of the strategies that the Football Supporters' Federation says causes tension with fans.

Violent disorder

Its report says fans "expressed concerns in terms of potential invasion of privacy or because it leads fans to feel that they are being unnecessarily treated as hooligans".

The force's Football Intelligence Officer - who asked not to be named - acknowledges that the tactic is controversial, but he says it is justified.

"Over the past year we've arrested over 40 people for very serious public order offences - and we're talking violent disorder and affray.

"The use of evidence earlier in the day allows us to compare images like for like against those caught on CCTV in the disorder.

"Had we just targeted [known troublemakers] that footage would never have existed, and ultimately you would have missed out on the full intelligence picture."

Nottinghamshire's touchy-feely approach to policing the game comes into its own at the ground.

As well as chatting to fans in the pub ahead of the game, football liaison officers also make a point of mingling with fans during half-time.

They also join in the discussions of where the team is going right and wrong as supporters grab a drink.

That certainly helps early in the second-half with one potentially-explosive incident. After a Millwall fan headbutts one of his fellow Lions fans, the police have to move in and the tension in the ground rises noticeably.

But this is quickly spotted by one of the fan liaison officers, who gently moves her colleague aside and successfully calms the situation.

After all, it's a lot harder to yell at someone you were chatting to about the game just a few minutes earlier.

I'd love to know what the criteria for being a "risk fan" are.

Also, why the demand for the FIO to be anonymous? Until the police are more willing to be open and honest with supporters the kind of problems you see an hear about at games with heavy-handed policing are going to persist.

I'd love to know what the criteria for being a "risk fan" are.

Also, why the demand for the FIO to be anonymous? Until the police are more willing to be open and honest with supporters the kind of problems you see an hear about at games with heavy-handed policing are going to persist.

A risk fan is a known football nominal with previous convictions for football related violence or disorder. All clubs have them and are well known to the football intelligence officer. I also have no idea why they need to keep the FIO a secret.

I am surprised they use Florist as a good example as I find some of their offiers stuck in the 'all football fans are hgooligans' mentality. Maybe it's down to the local rivalry we don't have that they are like this to us.

And how the hell have Leeds not been mentioned, clearly the most backwards fans, stewards and policing is very aggreive. The FSF survey proved this so I am surprised it's not mentioned.

I am surprised they use Florist as a good example as I find some of their offiers stuck in the 'all football fans are hgooligans' mentality. Maybe it's down to the local rivalry we don't have that they are like this to us.

Likewise I've seen our police rush at Forest fans with batons raised just for chanting on their way down Raw Dykes Road in 09-10. I do wonder how much aggression at some games is stoked up by the police before the match kicks off.

I've had mixed experiences with football police at City games. Birmingham away where walking us to the game they were superb. Coming out after the game following us into the town centre the road swept off to the left in a one way system leaving us isolated from them which is when the zulus struck. Pretty careless by the police.

Cardiff after the playoffs they made us walk all the way around the ground to get to our car. Not a nice experience, though imagine had we have won!

Derby at home last season i was trying to meet my mate outside the toyota garage afterwards as he sat elsewhere in the ground. The police were adamant that i moved else I'd be nicked. they let me wait there after I'd told them i waa going abroad in 3 hours time and had to meet my mate there so we could get away asap.

Mixed bag really

Archived