Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

How Many Players Do We Need

• 4 weeks later...

St Ledger and Whitbread are just weeks away from full match fitness said Stringer earlier.

So no more centre backs needed.

Still would hope Keane's loan is extended because their is no guarantees St Ledger and Whitbread will be 100% on form and match fit.

What do we need??

Well...Imagine if we went up this season!

We would have to replace waghorn, vardy, dyer, wellens, gallagher, if not more!!

It's all well and good saying that we are second and these players are therefore doing a good job.

Seriously? some of the above players have offered very little to where we are now, sure some can mention the odd goal which vardy or waghorn has scored, but in reality they have not really done a lot.

Two players in this league which look to be moving clubs are becchio and ebanks blake.

Are they both an improvement on our 3rd/4th/5th strikers? Yes

Are they realistic targets? Yes

We are currently in a great position, and we need to strengthen, as even if we do not go up this year, our squad is continuing to improve for another long season next year.

players like becchio and ebanks blake may be out of our wage budget, but can some of our representatives not get in contact with their agents and explain the situation. Explain what our aim is, what we expect from players, and how much wages we can pay?

If you don't ask you don't get! And watching some of our back-up players today....If we don't add, we won't get (to the premier league).

And watching some of our back-up players today....If we don't add, we won't get (to the premier league).

Spot on - we have a very good first XI, but the back up is woeful.

I accept that when St Ledger and Whitbread are fit we have adequate replacements at the back, along with Moore.

King is decent back up in midfield, but out wide we are short.

Up front, I'd say apart from Nuge and Wood, none of the other strikers cut it in this league.

So, sell Wellens, Gallagher, Vardy, Waghorn and Futacs and replace them with

Ebanks-Blake, Cameron Stewart, Liam Trotter and Lucciano Becchio.

If the Thai's are serious about promotion, now is the time to invest and make that final push

Interesting thoughts Grewks and MG, I can see where your coming from.

In my opinion the goalkeeper and defence is fine, were are very comfortable in those positions, plus St Ledger and Whitbread are nearly fit so they will give us options.

Midfield, with the form of James, Drinkwater and King this season, another central midfielder is not that necessary, but another option wouldn't go a miss because teams around us have more central midfielders than us, but another central midfielder is not the main priority, we are fine in that position atm, if we do get to the Premier League, signings need to be made in that position though, I would like to see us bring in someone defensive and someone attacking, like Bridcutt from Brighton and maybe someone with foreign flair.

Wing is worrying, Knockaert top class but Marshall and Dyer are inconsistent and haven't been making impacts recently, another winger wouldn't go a miss maybe someone on loan though, Cameron Stewart is not the answer.

Striker wise, Nugent and Wood are of course the main two, in my opinion with Waghorn showing better form over the past couple of months, he is good enough to be back up and should stay; however Futacs is out of place here, he wants football and we are simply not giving him any, while Vardy is simply not good enough and should go out on loan. Cardiff have done the right thing showing they are serious about promotion, by signing Frazier Campbell, Wood probably counts as our main signing and as long as him and Nugent bang in the goals we will mount a serious automatic promotion challenge. I doubt someone like Ebanks-Blake or Becchio would like sitting on the bench, but I can understand your views on getting another striker.

In my opinion I would like to see one more signing by Thursday deadline, and that would be an attacking midfielder/winger. Pearson isn't really full of surprises so a big signing like another striker probably won't happen.

Spot on - we have a very good first XI, but the back up is woeful.

I accept that when St Ledger and Whitbread are fit we have adequate replacements at the back, along with Moore.

King is decent back up in midfield, but out wide we are short.

Up front, I'd say apart from Nuge and Wood, none of the other strikers cut it in this league.

So, sell Wellens, Gallagher, Vardy, Waghorn and Futacs and replace them with

Ebanks-Blake, Cameron Stewart, Liam Trotter and Lucciano Becchio.

If the Thai's are serious about promotion, now is the time to invest and make that final push

After all the credit we give to the Thais, it is their fault really that we probably are not able to invest as much this january.

The big spend came 12-18 months early.

As you do say though, we have good back-up at the back, probably the best in the league as i do believe Moore, whitbread and St Ledger would walk into 90% of the teams in this league.

But we do lack some cover in the middle of the park, king is good back-up, but would like someone with a bit more brawn rather than brains.

Out wide, we also lack strength. I honestly believe bringing in another winger would improve performances from the likes of dyer.

And it goes without saying about our strikers. Vardy is not good enough for this level and never will be for the premiership, whereas vardy and futacs are both in their early 20's, not likely to be high earners, and therefore would be best for us if they stay with us permanently, but find loans to get some first team football.

We do have a lot of players and plenty of personnel depth, but not enough quality in this depth.

Getting rid of..

Beckford

Danns

Gally

Wellens

and loaning out vardy, futacs and waghorn would be what I would do this january if we could acquire some new targets.

Some players who I believe we should be looking at....

Obviously as already mentioned, Becchio, Ebanks Blake, Trotter and Stewart.

But there are others.

Lee Tomlin - very gifted player, and imagine the benefits he could give us. I think he would bring on Knocky's game, as he would take some of the creative pressure off, and also improve his own game as he finally will play with decent forwards (wood and nugent, obviously unlikely to play all 3 in the same team).

David Davis - Young 20 year old, plays for wolves, and seems to be forgotten lately. He is like a young karl henry with his physical side, but is a great 'player' also.

Junior Stanislas - Still a youngster who has premier league expeirence, can play in a number of positions across the front line. Always like the look of him.

I personally think if we can offload some of the players listed above and bring in one of...

Trotter/Davis

Stewart/Stanislas

Ebanks Blake/Becchio

and Lee Tomlin, then we have a much greater depth of squad and would have much more faith that I currently have to get than 2nd spot.

Quick edit - The suggestion of bridcutt was a good shout, also what about Tommy Rowe from Peterboro? Can play left wing or left back, another young lad who would provide back up to konch and out wide, wouldnt cost a bomb or command much of a wage.

I doubt someone like Ebanks-Blake or Becchio would like sitting on the bench, but I can understand your views on getting another striker.

It is a difficult one bringing in another striker or two, as Nuge and Wood will obviously be first choice and at present it appears Waghorn, Vardy and Futacs are relatively satisfied about being bench players. My concern is, will they come on and change games? If you look at Forest they have Sharp, Cox, Blackstock and Henderson. This to me offers a is a far stronger striking option than we have. IMO we are too dependent on Nugent and Wood. It only takes a leading elbow from Wood or a hamstring tear for Nuge and they could be missing for several games. I just like the idea of having more quality on the bench. Perhaps Waghorn is just about good enough, but if we could acquire SEB, along with a quality winger, then I really do think we would be covered in all areas.

Simply put, we need better than Waggy, Vardy and Futacs. They're not suitable cover because they're not good enough. Pearson's job is to get cover that could come in and start scoring. And keep them happy whilst Wood and Nugent are fit.

A hard job

Simply put, we need better than Waggy, Vardy and Futacs. They're not suitable cover because they're not good enough. Pearson's job is to get cover that could come in and start scoring. And keep them happy whilst Wood and Nugent are fit.

A hard job

I see your point, but I think the problem yesterday was that we took both first choice strikers out and Waghorn / Vardy is yet to work as a partnership.

I think Wood / Waghorn might fare better, or Futacs / Nugent, which has looked okay when Futacs has come off the bench. The pairing of Waghorn / Nugent tore a couple of sides to pieces a few months back, while Futacs / Wood grabbed a goal and hit the post a two or three times against Burton.

I'd be happy to see Ebanks-Blake in, especially if Vardy were to be moved out. He'd get plenty of match-time off the bench and covering for the first choice pairing (looking at the fixture congestion it seems likely someone will need a rest soon) and could be the third prong when we switch to 4-3-3.

But I'm much more worried about the lack of consistently impressive cover in the centre of midfield, where King has gone through another of his lacklustre spells, Wellens looks past it and Danns is out of favour. I'd also worry more about the absence of an up-and-coming left back to cover / challenge an at-times questionable Konchesky (if Schlupp were to go to Man U or out on loan). Then there's the question of whether Dyer and Gallagher are suitable stand-ins out wide, especially as Marshall struggles for consistency.

It is a difficult one bringing in another striker or two, as Nuge and Wood will obviously be first choice and at present it appears Waghorn, Vardy and Futacs are relatively satisfied about being bench players. My concern is, will they come on and change games? If you look at Forest they have Sharp, Cox, Blackstock and Henderson. This to me offers a is a far stronger striking option than we have. IMO we are too dependent on Nugent and Wood. It only takes a leading elbow from Wood or a hamstring tear for Nuge and they could be missing for several games. I just like the idea of having more quality on the bench. Perhaps Waghorn is just about good enough, but if we could acquire SEB, along with a quality winger, then I really do think we would be covered in all areas.

I see your point, especially about Forest, I would take most of those strikers at Leicester, but they aren't really firing on all cylinders at the minute.

I have mentioned before, that our bench isn't always the strongest, and teams have better quality to bring on, bringing the likes of Futacs and Vardy off from the bench doesn't really give me confidence, someone like Waghorn and King maybe but we just need to add one or two more to make us really strong.

As you say getting another winger might be needed, then either Marshall or Dyer can come off from the bench, Dyer in the past has been a great impact sub.

I'm sure most teams in the league were envious of our squad last season and would've fancied a few players out of our team. Forest seem to be the ones that are trying to buy the league this season by adding a few 'names' into the mix. As we know all too well, 'big name players' are no substitute for a good team ethic and close knit group of players. You need to have quality, of course, and we have that peppered throughout the squad in most key positions, but I think the most important thing about this team is that they are a TEAM.

They're a close knit bunch of lads, morale is extremely high at the minute and their attitude is exemplary. I'm certain they can cope without capitulating if we suffer a couple of injuries. I seem to remember we coped fairly well while Nugent was out earlier in the season, and now we've got Wood too, so if Nugent OR Wood gets injured, we'd still have one of the two.

Of course, if Nugent, Wood, Knockaert, Schmeichel and Morgan all got injured we'd be up shit creek, but I think most clubs would be if they suffered an injury crisis like that - if Man City lost Dzeko, Aguero, Toure, Kompany and Hart for the season, would they do as well? Also, let's face it - an injury crisis on that scale is extremely unlikely. If we have to use Vardy or Waghorn for a few games... well so what? Chances are we'll still have Nugent on the pitch, or Wood on the pitch. We won't lose games because of one player - IF Wood or Nugent get injured and IF we fail to pick up points, it won't be down to Waghorn or Vardy it will be down to the team. We win as a team, we lose as a team and nine times out of ten, if the team plays well on the whole, we win.

Warnock from villa anyone? He's available, offers good experience for our last push! He offers cover & competition for that left back spot aswell!

Good shout actually. He might want no.1 spot for left back though?

If we let Konchesky go in the summer and have Warnock and Schlupp as our left backs then I think it would be a good signing.

Good shout actually. He might want no.1 spot for left back though?

If we let Konchesky go in the summer and have Warnock and Schlupp as our left backs then I think it would be a good signing.

Why let Konchesky go when Warnock is roughly the same age - I don't see what we are gaining?

However I don't think we need a left back If schlupp stays! I think we need 2 players a solid centre midfielder in trotter & a winger on loan in Townsend or on a pernament in Brady!

Brady has signed for Hull City on a permanent deal a while back.

Warnock is better than Konch, we would be warnocks best bet of him getting Into the prem again anyway! & as I already stated warnocks experience with the youngsters could be vital!

I don't agree that Warnock is better than Konchesky, but that's just my opinion. But it's pretty poor that he can't even make the starting XI at Villa when they are so bad.

Archived