Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Shakespeare praises Paul Gallagher's attitude

This is Matt Oakley all over again. Let me remind those with a short memory what happened...

Matt Oakley was a great member of the squad in our L1 season, and remained solid for a while after promotion. His form dipped, and fans started getting on his back. But one thing he was was an excellent influence on the other players, hence why he was club captain. His 2 year goal drought didn't exactly help, but he was always making a good team contribution. Perhaps the most unorthodox being his blocking of the ball with his back which allowed Waghorn to score a last-minute winner against Bristol City. Naturally, he didn't get credit where credit was due.

Of course, he then went and scored two screamers in as many games, against Palace and Forest respectively, and suddenly everyone was bumming him. When he left last summer, people were back to thanking him for all he had done for the club's cause.

It's not even like Oakley is the only example. King is, according to a noisy number of fans, shite unless he's scoring - despite his role being that of a move starter (personally, I think we're lucky to have one who also scores goals, and even in this, a season where he's been in and out of the team, he has 4 league goals to his name). People were hailing Matty James when he netted against Torquay on the first day of the season, then when he hit a lull (again, because of that playmaker role - he is essentially a carbon copy of King) he was public enemy number one. Fortunately, he seems to have won the fans back with some brilliant attacking performances, but the point remains that he was doing fine, anyway.

I'd also mention Wellens in this same category, but everyone knows it's all his fault. :ph34r:

But the point remains - Gallagher scores goals, and when he does, he's everyone's best mate. When he goes more than one game without doing so, people ignore his playmaking, which is excellent, and assume that, because he's not as fast as Duracell Dyer, he's lazy and deserves a shite-ton of hate from the same toe-rags that wanted his babies two games ago. It's sadly representative of the walnut-sized brains of a number of our fans.

:appl: Top post, so glad there is a few sane fans amongst us :thumbup:

What did he do to get booed? Losing his kid? Does that warrent it?

Did he ever go awol.? Call the club? Pull a balotelli stunt? Im confused to why he got booed.

Apparently its all Gallys fault for playing in a massively average squad last year. Seems he took the brunt of the comedown when we finally realised Sven had spent millions assembling an average squad.

:appl: Top post, so glad there is a few sane fans amongst us :thumbup:

Apparently its all Gallys fault for playing in a massively average squad last year. Seems he took the brunt of the comedown when we finally realised Sven had spent millions assembling an average squad.

Agreed, considering most of Sven's big money signings are pretty much now playing for teams below us in the table, goes to show just how good they actually are.. Thank god we have Pearson who knows what he is doing... If Pearson believes Gally is good enough to play a part then I'm not going to argue with that

What I don't get is, people were expecting Gallagher to leave in January, wanting him to leave in fact, and saying he wasn't good enough.

Now just because he get's booed by some pathetic fans of ours, everyone starts loving him again, and actually think he can do a job for us this season.

Like Wellens, like Danns he just isn't good enough. He is too weak, his passing isn't that great, he jumps out of tackles too often, yes he get's the odd 20-25 yarder or penalties but to me that isn't good enough. I can remember when he scored two goals last season, when he was being criticised and attempted to silence the fans, a week or so later he was in the starting 11 and put in one of many of his average/woeful performances that season.

We have Knockaert, Marshall and Dyer who are all better than Gallagher at the moment.

I respect Gallagher, but I just think his time at this football club is up.

I think gallagher had the right attitude before NP left the first time, now it may seem it has been found again.

He went through a difficult time personally, and in reality hasnt recovered since. He had put his career second from his personal life, which is great to see and the right thing to do.

We know what he offers, and very few can still compete with the individual quality he possesses.

Wouldn't like to think of him playing out wide with the pace and trickery we have, but possible in a CF role behind the striker?? Would still leave marshall/dyer/knocky on the flanks and gally could add that touch of class in the final third.

I think gallagher had the right attitude before NP left the first time, now it may seem it has been found again.

He went through a difficult time personally, and in reality hasnt recovered since. He had put his career second from his personal life, which is great to see and the right thing to do.

We know what he offers, and very few can still compete with the individual quality he possesses.

Wouldn't like to think of him playing out wide with the pace and trickery we have, but possible in a CF role behind the striker?? Would still leave marshall/dyer/knocky on the flanks and gally could add that touch of class in the final third.

Interesting point about Gally in NP's first spell, he was one of our better players that season and I don't remember too many complaints on here, but then we weren't money bags Leicester then, and I guess with his new contract it went to Gally's head as much as it did the fans.

I can't see him becoming a regular starter again, but he's good enough for the bench, we could do a lot worse.

In certain games he can be very effective, he's a very tidy passer of the ball and his delivery from wide positions on a good day is top class.

We're all aware that there are games when he is in fact useless and he won't do anything right, and he was poor more often than not last season. But if he recapture's his form from 09/11 he's a very decent squad player. I do stress IF though, if he's like he was last season it's not going to work out.

People seem to remember his shockers a lot more vividly than other players', and yet games where he's been superb (and I don't just mean scoring set pieces and long rangers) they have basically no recollection of. And he can't tackle (some might say he's a 'pussy' in the tackle ;) ) . I can only think this is why some people think he's worthy of booing.

Interesting point about Gally in NP's first spell, he was one of our better players that season and I don't remember too many complaints on here, but then we weren't money bags Leicester then, and I guess with his new contract it went to Gally's head as much as it did the fans.

I think like many players in the initial sousa and then Sven era (such as king, gally, wellens, hobbs etc) they just couldnt get to grips with the fact that NP had gone and the way the club was trying to change everything which had previously worked so well.

That is another reason why we cannot get rid of NP, 90% of the squad would want to leave, never heard of any players under pearson question him, they all constantly say he knows what he is doing. I can remember Kasper saying last season when NP first re-joined saying he was exactly the sort of guy we needed and agree with everything he said.

I think all the players agree, and their performances are all resulting from enjoying their time with each other, whether it be training, games or in their personal social lives. Like any 'job' (and that is what it is at the end of the day) better progress is made when enjoying what you are doing.

Seeing a large majority of the players together at the boxing shows everything which is 'right' with the current squad and staff. They all get on with each other, there is no rivalry in the dressing room and players are getting on with one another. Last season certain players (such as waggy) clearly didnt get on with the likes of mills. Some would have suggested jealousy etc. But in reality, waggy just cared about the club, just like NP does, its refreshing to see this after last season.

The players have a lot of respect for NP, i can remember marshall saying about how he has played in the premier league etc. All the large characters in the dressing room are behind him, which has not been so evident since his last spell here, and the O'Neill era.

I think gallagher is just another one of NP's former players fed up with players coming in and spoiling the hard work the likes of he, kingy, wellens, lloyd, and even hobbs and fryatt had done.

Unlike before there is no pressure on gally and it may bring the best out of him, before he was the only real match winner with the ability to create something out of nothing, but now we have others who can do that.

Archived