Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Shakespeare praises Paul Gallagher's attitude

Merc

Leicester City assistant manager Craig Shakespeare has praised midfielder Paul Gallagher for fighting his way back into the first-team frame.

After making three consecutive substitute appearances over the festive period, the 28-year-old Gallagher could be in contention to make only his second start of the campaign when Burton Albion visit the King Power Stadium tomorrow, in the third round of the FA Cup.

• ​4446289.jpg
    Paul Gallagher

Gallagher's only other start came against the same side in City's shock Capital One Cup defeat in August.

That led to a spell on loan at Sheffield United and the Scottish international didn't feature again for City until he came on as a second-half substitute at Hull on Boxing Day.

Shakespeare said Gallagher had never been out of the first-team frame and had fought his way back into contention.

"He hasn't been out of the picture with us as staff or the players," said Shakespeare.

"Since he came back from Sheffield United he has trained with us every day.

"I have to say his attitude and application in training has been first class.

"Sometimes players force their way into it rather than de-select themselves. Paul has forced his way in with his performances.

"Yes, he has had to be patient but we have never forgotten what Paul is capable of."

Central midfielder Matty James has also taken his chance in the last three games after making only his second start since September at Hull.

Shakespeare said James was an example of the type of player they had worked so hard to bring into the club over the past year.

"Players like to be judged over three or four games, not just one and then back out," he said.

"Matty is getting better and better. He has not missed a day's training since he joined the club and is a tremendous lad to have around.

"He leads by example, trains properly and has a pedigree about him.

"There has been a lot of transition within the squad, changing the mentality of the squad, changing the personalities of the dressing room.

"They are a pleasure to work with now. We are pushing forward."

Isnt it worrying that a player who deemed by many, myself included, isnt good enough can fight his way back into our first team?

He is good enough though. On his day, he's great. He just needs to apply himself better and be consistant, which is the gist of Shakespeares comment.

I'm still not convinced he's good enough, think on his day he is, but off his day (which is far more than on his day) he's useless.

I'll get behind him though.

That's the who point of being a supporter. The rest of the shit can be saved for after the final whistle or the forums/phone-ins.

Isnt it worrying that a player who deemed by many, myself included, isnt good enough can fight his way back into our first team?

It is more worrying that 'fans' can write off a player on the back of a few poor performances in a poor season and then actually be surprised that a player can work hard, get his head down, improve and get back in to the team on merit.

Not particularly, he's a decent player. He'll probably never be a regular first teamer for us again; we've moved on now. However, I see absolutely no harm in having him as a squad player - he's certainly good enough for that. Not sure why this would worry you at all? Is there nothing else to moan about at the minute?

It is more worrying that 'fans' can write off a player on the back of a few poor performances in a poor season and then actually be surprised that a player can work hard, get his head down, improve and get back in to the team on merit.

Improve? the jury is still out on that one and my post wasnt so much a snipe at Gallagher as a quip at how strong our first team is.

I think some of the comments on here are pointless. Gally won't be first team, I don't think? But the point is he's turned round his attitude, apparently, so can now figure as a part of the overall squad.

Pearson has said from day one 'it's a squad effort'. I agree completely. Gally in the 'squad'? Hell yeah.. In the first team? Not for me.

:thumbup:

Not particularly, he's a decent player. He'll probably never be a regular first teamer for us again; we've moved on now. However, I see absolutely no harm in having him as a squad player - he's certainly good enough for that. Not sure why this would worry you at all? Is there nothing else to moan about at the minute?

no moan, just a question and apparently it doesnt worry you, thanks for your answer.

Not really, he's always had the ability, when he plays well he can win a game on his own. The problem with him has always been application and consistency. If he's sorted himself out and is prepared to work as hard as the rest of the squad, i'm perfectly happy with having him on the bench

I wouldnt say hes fighting his way back into the frame. More like hes having a few good words said about him and getting a few appearances here and there to increase his likelihood of being snapped up in the Transfer window.

I always liked Gallagher, but his time here is up

Archived