Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aj1927

The MillionDollar Man.

Why must it be examined, like everything else under a microscope, Pearson bought a player banging them in at a lower level, like every player it is a gamble, you never know how he is going to perform, he was being pursued by many clubs, that pushed his price up, it is nothing like as bad as the deal for Mills or Beckford.

NP made mistake at the start of the season by choosing Beckford ahead of Nugent, he quickly corrected that, and, rightly in my opinion, played Vardy ahead of Beckford, same with James ahead of King, it wasn't working he changed it.

IF we don't get promoted this season it won't be because we signed Vardy for a million, it will be because collectively as a team we weren't good enough.

Now we can all sit around guessing what might have been if we had signed Wood at the start of the season, but that isn't going to serve anything, we needed a striker, NP Identified that and we signed the best available for a reasonable price with Vardy and Futacs.

This obsession with over analysing everything really takes the fun out of football for me.

Can't agree..

It's those important things that can be the difference between success and failure. I've said (and I mean) that I think there's more to come from him. However, some of us suggested that we could benefit from a second, proven striker before the season started. It's my opinion that such a player would have scored some of the chances we've spurned.

You simply dismiss this sort of stuff as 'criticising'. I see it as analysing and trying to praise the things that have gone well, but not overlooking where errors have perhaps been made.

It's of no coincidence to me that Pearson appears to have changed his 4-4-2 away. Good. It was clear it wasn't working as well as it could and was discussed on this forum. Cos it's a forum.

:thumbup:

Can't agree with most of this.

I like Vardy's work rate and I think at times he's lived in Nugents shadow so to speak. Finally, I think there's more to come.

However, I believe if Pearson had signed the right striker at the start of the season (Wood?) we'd be top of the table by now.

For me, Vardy was a little gamble that hasn't paid off so far. And trusting in Beckford also, for the first few games, did not pay off. If we go on now to not get promotion, this must be examined and not merely overlooked. The forum does tend to overlook stuff sometimes, perhaps because its seen as 'criticising'?

IMO.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. I absolutely agree with that.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. I absolutely agree with that.

You're right mate. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. However, that doesn't mean that we can't suggest that Vardy was a gamble which has not yet paid off. And plenty of people suggested PRE-SEASON that the second, experienced striker at this level may well be neccessary. I think points like this get overlooked too conveniently.

Can't agree..

It's those important things that can be the difference between success and failure. I've said (and I mean) that I think there's more to come from him. However, some of us suggested that we could benefit from a second, proven striker before the season started. It's my opinion that such a player would have scored some of the chances we've spurned.

You simply dismiss this sort of stuff as 'criticising'. I see it as analysing and trying to praise the things that have gone well, but not overlooking where errors have perhaps been made.

It's of no coincidence to me that Pearson appears to have changed his 4-4-2 away. Good. It was clear it wasn't working as well as it could and was discussed on this forum. Cos it's a forum.

:thumbup:

There is analysing, and criticising and then over analysing.

We look at the success or failure of Vardy, and whether he was worth the money, but it sounds like you are calling for a full scale investigation if we don't go up.

We had a limited budget and a limited number of options pre-season, Nigel did what he could with them, if we had signed someone like Wood then, who I'm guessing was probably only available on loan we may not have been able to get Knockaert.

We have no idea what would have happened had we done something differently and going back and speculating is not going to help anyone.

At the end of the season we will judge Vardy as a success or a failure this season and NP and the club on how much was paid for him.

And as for the second experienced striker being necessary, we didn't know at that time that Beckford was going to play worse than last season and throw his toys out the pram and demand a move. Beckford, Nugent, Waghorn, Vardy, Futacs, should have had enough goals in them to fire us up the league, Beckford is the one that failed big time this season as he was number 1, for the first couple of games and he blew it.

There is analysing, and criticising and then over analysing.

We look at the success or failure of Vardy, and whether he was worth the money, but it sounds like you are calling for a full scale investigation if we don't go up.

We had a limited budget and a limited number of options pre-season, Nigel did what he could with them, if we had signed someone like Wood then, who I'm guessing was probably only available on loan we may not have been able to get Knockaert.

We have no idea what would have happened had we done something differently and going back and speculating is not going to help anyone.

At the end of the season we will judge Vardy as a success or a failure this season and NP and the club on how much was paid for him.

And as for the second experienced striker being necessary, we didn't know at that time that Beckford was going to play worse than last season and throw his toys out the pram and demand a move. Beckford, Nugent, Waghorn, Vardy, Futacs, should have had enough goals in them to fire us up the league, Beckford is the one that failed big time this season as he was number 1, for the first couple of games and he blew it.

Of course I'm not calling for a full-scale investigation. That's YOU exaggerating.

I'm simply saying Vardy has not yet done as well as he might have done? And that missing chances has been a feature of the first half of the season.

Finally, how do you know we 'had a limited budget'? And buying Vardy for a mill wouldn't have helped if we did have?

I like Vardey, I think he is a very decent player, however I feel he has been asked to do too much....... :(

Stepping up three divisions is a big ask, particularly as he has been required to play as one of the primary strikers in a demanding 4-4-2 system.

Personally I would have liked to have seen him 'eased in', perhaps by playing wide left in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 and being deployed primarily as a striker.

He has the reputation of being good from the left so he would be comfortable there and most importantly, he would not be the main striker with all the pressure that brings.

Of course I'm not calling for a full-scale investigation. That's YOU exaggerating.

I'm simply saying Vardy has not yet done as well as he might have done? And that missing chances has been a feature of the first half of the season.

Finally, how do you know we 'had a limited budget'? And buying Vardy for a mill wouldn't have helped if we did have?

What? You think we had an unlimited budget?

Have you been drinking again Col?

You're making out you have the faintest clue re what money was available to Pearson pre season, which of course you don't.

No but I bet it wasn't unlimited, hence a limited budget...

C'mon Col, you can do better than this, you are arguing my exact same point back at me, but what you want to speculate over, signing another proven striker at this level pre-season, is so intangible that it is impossible to even begin to imagine what could have happened if we didn't sign Vardy and signed Wood instead.

I have to say, I do like Vardy.

He has showed glimpses of quality and his performance at Blackburn is up there as one of the best individual performances this season imo. He has a good attitude, popped up with some important goals (Middlesbrough and Barnsley). Works hard and with some more luck would have many more goals to his name.

Vardy is well worth a million.

Waghorn cost 3m and how much has Wood cost?

Having said that price is irrelevant unless we're talking about Beckford.

No but I bet it wasn't unlimited, hence a limited budget...

C'mon Col, you can do better than this, you are arguing my exact same point back at me, but what you want to speculate over, signing another proven striker at this level pre-season, is so intangible that it is impossible to even begin to imagine what could have happened if we didn't sign Vardy and signed Wood instead.

Rubbish

One of the 'concerns' about signing Chris Wood was that he was playing well at Millwall and would come to Leicester and suddenly look like half the player he was. lol

So far, that don't look the case.

I believe it would have been the same with many other strikers who's championship goal tally outweighs that of Vardy this season. Marlon (ooh what a fooker) King, Darius Henderson, Becchio, Troy Deeney... All would have been available, for the right price, pre season and all, I believe, are better strikers than Vardy. I don't include Glenn Murray in this because, until this crazy season for him, I thought he was crap.

Just to reiterate, Pearson took a gamble on Vardy, not an inexpensive one, and it's not worked yet. Whilst we are rightly celebrating Pearsons acquisition of Wood, lets not forget that a better striker COULD have been procured in the summer. This would, most probably, have made a significant difference.

However, credit to Pearson, I think, for realising this and getting Wood in.

Vardy has been given every opportunity by NP , more opportunity than Schlupp has been given up front. I guess sometimes transfers work and others don't - it just looks moree like a poor transfer when Woods transfer has been so productive already.

The problem here, to some extent I think, is that in todays game, everyone expects so much so quickly. Coming from Fleetwood Town and going straight into a hopefully top six challenging Championship side, is it really that much of a suprise that Vardy isn't suddenly a 20 goal a season man? For me, I think we have to cut him a bit of slack despite us all wanting more and more. Whether he'd gain more by dropping down a league or two just to score goals is debateable, or is he gaining more in training here by working alongside for example better defenders who pose more of a test to him. His industry and contribution for me has been good, his finishing sometimes has seen him 'trying to make sure' or trying to provide an even better chance for a team mate rather than just 'having a go'. A little thing I noticed recently for example was when we had shots bouncing off an in form Cardiff keeper Vardy appeared to wait for the keeper to mishandle or tip the ball out rather than instinctively following in expecting a mistake. This lack of instict led to him and a defender 'reacting' to an incident rather than Vardy 'pre-empting' one (if that makes sense). Perhaps NP and Shaky also notice such things.

Re expecting too much too quick, I seem to remember Ian Wright not joining Palace from non league football until around the age of about twenty two/three. It took him another 5/6 years I believe before he'd developed into a striker sufficient enough in quality for Arsenal to sign him and the rest as they say, is history. God knows what the lad thinks if he reads these pages and reads that some of his own supporters are already writing him off as a complete failure after what is after all only half a season. Perhaps a bit of encouragement for a change wouldn't go amiss. Most of NP's current signings have been of a certain age with limited experience and as such are prone to mistakes and are gaining experience week on week. I for one am happy to see this as it bodes well if not in instant results for this season, does so for the next and longer. James is learning and improving as is Knockhardt, Marshall and Drinkwater etc. Lets try and appreciate them a bit more and be a little more patient as they develop as Messi and Ronaldo arn't that keen on joining us in the January transfer window apparently. Let NP and Shaky have a bit more time to work with Vardy and see what happens.

Ian Wright was 21 when he signed for Palace. Vardy's 25

He is also the exception and not the rule.

Quite correct mate (just looked him up, 2 months short of his 22nd birthday). And yes I agree, he was in fact a very big exception but it still took him several years to develop and we're no Arsenal. I was just trying to add a bit thought and reason to this constant slagging off of our own players and perhaps an element of encouragement and patience. We've had years now of managers and players coming and going without a hint of success in the search for this instant fix, for once it may pay to let a manager try and develop something for a change. thats all.

Quite correct mate (just looked him up, 2 months short of his 22nd birthday). And yes I agree, he was in fact a very big exception but it still took him several years to develop and we're no Arsenal. I was just trying to add a bit thought and reason to this constant slagging off of our own players and perhaps an element of encouragement and patience. We've had years now of managers and players coming and going without a hint of success in the search for this instant fix, for once it may pay to let a manager try and develop something for a change. thats all.

It's not slagging off though. The overwhelming commentary on Vardy's ability is incredibly dispassionate. His touch is poor, when in the first XI I'd say his touch and technique is the worst in the side, that's not slagging him off that's pointing out a reason for his meagre return.

To say he doesn't look worth £1m again isn't slagging him off its expressing an opinion that for that amount, irrespective of your background, you expect a bit more.

But it doesn't work like that. I'm not sure it ever really has.

Why has Pearson gone out and signed Chris Wood for a further million quid? I would guess its because he doesn't feel we have enough fire-power with Vardy, Waggy and Futacs? So he's gone and spent money.

There's lots and lots of examples of clubs not 'giving players time' to develop. Look at Man Utd.. They have a super young striker in Wellbeck. He's home grown, he's come up through their academy and he's an international. However, since Sir Alex signed Van Persie, Wellbeck's not played anywhere near as much this season.

Man City/Chelsea have offloaded Sturridge. Who have Chelsea now signed? Demba Ba.

Look at Man City... Do you really think John Guidetti will get much of a look in?

Unless the young players are clearly VERY good (eg Sterling at Liverpool) it's very rare that many clubs show patience to many of their players.

Just look at City's academy. Even Pearson basically overlooks it in favour of young Man Utd Loanees.

If Pearson WAS showing patience in Vardy, for example, I don't think he'd have signed Wood. He would have continued with a Vardy/Nuge/Waghorn combo until the end of the season at least.

Football is a results business. There is little patience anymore, especially in managers! It's how it is, rightly or wrongly.

Finally, I dispute this 'slagging off' nonsense. I've said I think there's more to come from Vardy. I'm simply saying what I think about the player and the situation.

Look on the official site. That will tell you how many goals he's scored.

Yes we all know it should've counted, but it didn't. End of.

weak argument. if I murder you but the police wrongly convict someone else, have I murdered you or not?

Archived