Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aj1927

The MillionDollar Man.

Although i haven't read any if them, I have a seen a few threads in Jamie Vardy.

Some suggesting he isn't up to it and is well out of his depth.

Last term we purchased a young Irish kid from Plymouth for 200k Joe Mason.

He had an excellent first season scoring several goals including the opener against Liverpool in the cup final. Nothing was expected of this kid but he stepped up to the plate very well and has a bright future in many fans eyes.

Vardy came to you guys as a Massive name in non league football and truly did score for fun. I have always believed "once a goal scorer always a goal scorer" no matter what level they play at.

That being said, do you think NP was right to play him as often as he has or should he have introduced him slowly and allowed him to find his feet at the club and more importantly at a significantly higher level.

I'm not a WUM, so please don't bother posting obscenities,because I will not reply to them.

Personally I feel he has a great talent with a good future ahead of him.

Some people say Vardy is being loaned out with Tranmere or Preston most heavily rumoured.

Personally I think his performances have been mostly excellent and he's been a key part of the team in the games he's played in.

Rub of the green was missing in his early games and had that been different the confidence would have breeded more confidence and the goals would have flowed to match the performances.

I think it should be Schlupp who is loaned out if NP isn't going to play him LB and Vardy should be the one coming off the bench, possibly to keep Nugent sharp as they're similar players, I seem to remember Vardy played left side for Fleetwood but Nugent plays there for us.

Coming off the bench fresh for the last 20mins or so, his industriousness would be very hard to live with and he may find the chances easier to come by... which in turn will boost his confidence to take them.

Some people say Vardy is being loaned out with Tranmere or Preston most heavily rumoured.

Personally I think his performances have been mostly excellent and he's been a key part of the team in the games he's played in.

Rub of the green was missing in his early games and had that been different the confidence would have breeded more confidence and the goals would have flowed to match the performances.

I think it should be Schlupp who is loaned out if NP isn't going to play him LB and Vardy should be the one coming off the bench, possibly to keep Nugent sharp as they're similar players, I seem to remember Vardy played left side for Fleetwood but Nugent plays there for us.

Coming off the bench fresh for the last 20mins or so, his industriousness would be very hard to live with and he may find the chances easier to come by... which in turn will boost his confidence to take them.

Really? You'd describe most of his performances as 'excellent'?

I don't think there's anyone in our squad who I'd describe as mostly excellent. Possibly Nugent or Morgan but they've still had plenty of days where they've been average at best.

For me Vardy has been bang on average.

He contributes a lot to the team but in a subtle way which is perhaps unusual for a striker. Underrated by many fans IMO, he should've scored more than he has but I was extremely impressed by him in his first few games - Genuinely superb against Blackburn, scored twice and made great runs all game. If he can play like that more often (which I think is very possible) then he'd be pushing for a starting place.

I disagree with anyone who says he's looked out of his depth. He hasn't looked clinical in front of goal but he's looked reasonably composed on the ball, has worked hard, put in a lot of running for the team and has contributed well to moves that have created goals and chances.

His running causes problems for defenses at this level and as long as he's playing with a more lethal finisher I think he can be part of a good strike partnership at this level.

I do think he appears to be feeling the pressure lately, though. That said, Pearson has done wonders for Waghorn's confidence lately so I don't see why the same can't be done for Vardy without loaning him out. He'd piss League One, in my opinion. Be a fantastic loan move for Tranmere.

Edit: Oh and, like it or not, £1m is sod all in today's market. I don't see it as an extortionate amount to pay.

He has been a good signing and worth his price tag. He certainly doesn't struggle with the workrate which would of been my main concern at the beginning at the season. Would be nice if he could start banging in some more goals though maybe he just needs to get his confidence up first to become more greedy and believe he can beat keepers in the same way he did at Fleetwood.

Mark McGhee when he was manager here was quoted as saying the difference between players in the different divisions is seconds.

A top player will decide to do something and has the skill to do it in so many seconds.

A division down it takes those players an extra second or two and so on.

Seeing Vardy play you can see that there are times he arrives just a little late or needs just that extra touch.

That is not to say he can not get up to speed but at present he is not, he has been to used to being better than those he played against.

He may still make it at this level but we can't afford to wait, yay for Wood.

He contributes a lot to the team but in a subtle way which is perhaps unusual for a striker. Underrated by many fans IMO, he should've scored more than he has but I was extremely impressed by him in his first few games - Genuinely superb against Blackburn, scored twice and made great runs all game. If he can play like that more often (which I think is very possible) then he'd be pushing for a starting place.

He scored once at Blackburn.

He has been bang average, and is not good enough for a team chasing promotion in this league yet. There are a whole host of players who could run around as much as he does, but in all honesty it has little impact on the game. His first touch isn't good enough at this level and I've never seen a striker want to take so many touches before getting a shot away.

It's been a big step up, but I expected more from him. You say £1million isn't a lot, but let's not forget we've only paid £1.25million for Chris Wood, and there is an absolute gulf in class between him and Vardy.

He scored once at Blackburn.

He has been bang average, and is not good enough for a team chasing promotion in this league yet. There are a whole host of players who could run around as much as he does, but in all honesty it has little impact on the game. His first touch isn't good enough at this level and I've never seen a striker want to take so many touches before getting a shot away.

It's been a big step up, but I expected more from him. You say £1million isn't a lot, but let's not forget we've only paid £1.25million for Chris Wood, and there is an absolute gulf in class between him and Vardy.

No, he scored twice. His 2nd goal was wrongly disallowed.

Again I'll mention that his contributions are subtle, they aren't as obvious and that gives people a great reason to slate him. "He does fvck all!" no, it's just that his contributions aren't as obvious.

At the moment it has to be Wood and Nugent starting, I don't disagree with that, but if you watched him in his first few games he was as good as Nugent for me. I've said already that confidence is a big thing and I think this is especially true in his case, that's why I feel a short loan move to L1 would be good for him. He was confident at the start of the season, he's lost a bit of that self-belief now, that's why he isn't playing as well.

No, he scored twice. His 2nd goal was wrongly disallowed.

Again I'll mention that his contributions are subtle, they aren't as obvious and that gives people a great reason to slate him. "He does fvck all!" no, it just isn't as obvious.

At the moment it has to be Wood and Nugent starting, I don't disagree with that, but if you watched him in his first few games he was as good as Nugent for me. I've said already that confidence is a big thing and I think this is especially true in his case, that's why I feel a short loan move to L1 would be good for him. He was confident at the start of the season, he's lost a bit of that self-belief now, that's why he isn't playing as well.

lol So he scored once then.

lol So he scored once then.

Officially, yes. But had the rules of the game been properly applied then he wouldn't have had his 2nd goal taken away from him.

I think it's rather imporant to mention that we're talking about Vardy's ability here, not the decisions of the match officials which simply aren't relevant to a player's performance. If you want to nit-pick and say that the lino ruled it out then fine, but I find that a bit of a weak argument when you consider that the offside decision had literally nothing to do with Vardy's performance on the day.

Officially, yes. But had the rules of the game been properly applied then he wouldn't have had his 2nd goal taken away from him.

I think it's rather imporant to mention that we're talking about Vardy's ability here, not the decisions of the match officials which simply aren't relevant to a player's performance. If you want to nit-pick and say that the lino ruled it out then fine, but I find that a bit of a weak argument when you consider that the offside decision had literally nothing to do with Vardy's performance on the day.

How is it nit-picking by saying the Lino ruled it out? It is a fact, he only scored once in that game.

The rest of my first post was about Vardy's ability, and the fact I don't think he's good enough. Yes, he played well at Blackburn but when has he influenced a game like that since? Not often enough to warrant a starting place, or to justify his price tag.

How is it nit-picking by saying the Lino ruled it out? It is a fact, he only scored once in that game.

The rest of my first post was about Vardy's ability, and the fact I don't think he's good enough. Yes, he played well at Blackburn but when has he influenced a game like that since? Not often enough to warrant a starting place, or to justify his price tag.

Did Frank Lampard Score against Germany in the World Cup?

I don't how else I can say this, Vardy scored a legitimate goal against Blackburn that was ruled out. Therefore, he scored twice (except he didn't of course). Is that his fault the linesman was wrong? No, clearly not.

I do agree with you when you say he hasn't really done enough to merit a starting place, he's not performing well at present and I won't try to hide that, right now I do not want him to start. However, he certainly did do enough be in the first eleven in the early stages of the season. I really believe he can perform as he did when he first came to the club and that's why I continue to have faith in him.

He is a very hit and miss player, who needs to work on a lot of things. His first touch isn't great, and he needs to learn how to finish, yes he has scored goals this season, but fans expected more from him.

When you signed Joe Mason I guess he was 19-20, a young prospect with a bright future. Another problem with Vardy is his age, he is 25 and will be 26 this month, so basically he is the wrong side of 20 and hardly a young prospect.

League 2/Blue Square have quite a few prospects, but with Vardy being the top goalscorer in the Blue Square last season people thought he was more than capable of making a step up, but he has jumped three divisions, not one, not two, but three, and it will take time adjusting.

Whether it takes him a whole season to adjust to Championship football, or maybe he won't adjust at all, who knows?

But right this minute AJ, he is nothing more than a bench player, who may need to find some form by going out on Loan to League 1.

I don't how else I can say this, Vardy scored a legitimate goal against Blackburn that was ruled out. Therefore, he scored twice (except he didn't of course). Is that his fault the linesman was wrong? No, clearly not.

I do agree with you when you say he hasn't really done enough to merit a starting place, he's not performing well at present and I won't try to hide that, right now I do not want him to start. However, he certainly did do enough in the early stages of the season. I really believe he can perform as he did when he first came to the club and that's why I continue to have faith in him.

Look on the official site. That will tell you how many goals he's scored.

Yes we all know it should've counted, but it didn't. End of.

As I said in the other thread forget about the price tag, as a non league striker making the step up he has done ok, for back up striker he is good enough at this level, considering our other back up striker cost 3x as much and nobody is using that against him.

Can't agree with most of this.

I like Vardy's work rate and I think at times he's lived in Nugents shadow so to speak. Finally, I think there's more to come.

However, I believe if Pearson had signed the right striker at the start of the season (Wood?) we'd be top of the table by now.

For me, Vardy was a little gamble that hasn't paid off so far. And trusting in Beckford also, for the first few games, did not pay off. If we go on now to not get promotion, this must be examined and not merely overlooked. The forum does tend to overlook stuff sometimes, perhaps because its seen as 'criticising'?

IMO.

Welcome to FoxesTalk, where Cup goals don't count for certain strikers, but disallowed goals do for others.

Give me strength.

Cup goals tend to be less important, especially in the early rounds of the League Cup.

Wrongly disallowed goals in the league should have counted so the player has scored in a sense. His contribution has been wrongly taken away from him so I feel he should be given some credit for it.

I can see why you think this sort of opinion is quite odd but I kind of support it.

Can't agree with most of this.

I like Vardy's work rate and I think at times he's lived in Nugents shadow so to speak. Finally, I think there's more to come.

However, I believe if Pearson had signed the right striker at the start of the season (Wood?) we'd be top of the table by now.

For me, Vardy was a little gamble that hasn't paid off so far. And trusting in Beckford also, for the first few games, did not pay off. If we go on now to not get promotion, this must be examined and not merely overlooked. The forum does tend to overlook stuff sometimes, perhaps because its seen as 'criticising'?

IMO.

Why must it be examined, like everything else under a microscope, Pearson bought a player banging them in at a lower level, like every player it is a gamble, you never know how he is going to perform, he was being pursued by many clubs, that pushed his price up, it is nothing like as bad as the deal for Mills or Beckford.

NP made mistake at the start of the season by choosing Beckford ahead of Nugent, he quickly corrected that, and, rightly in my opinion, played Vardy ahead of Beckford, same with James ahead of King, it wasn't working he changed it.

IF we don't get promoted this season it won't be because we signed Vardy for a million, it will be because collectively as a team we weren't good enough.

Now we can all sit around guessing what might have been if we had signed Wood at the start of the season, but that isn't going to serve anything, we needed a striker, NP Identified that and we signed the best available for a reasonable price with Vardy and Futacs.

This obsession with over analysing everything really takes the fun out of football for me.

Archived