Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
steveherbe

The Hinckley Mob

On 11/02/2013 at 21:17, johnny the fox said:

It was click clarke, he used to play football with us down sketchley field, I remember him climbing down the back of the kop and making off with the match ball one night game,.. I believe he joined a religious cult a few years after he stopped going down filbert street.. saw mr. Griffin in town last year. he did a long stretch inside for various naughty things, I believe he favoured the axe..

Peter Kay could use this as new material ! Hilarious, only read a few posts ! 

On 11 February 2013 at 21:20, Zingari said:

We weren't really a mob , just a small rabble that used to stand close by :D

Gregg Chapman and Alan Calow are names i remember well .

I remember Greg Chapman, though not as one of the Hinckley mob.

Seem to recall he rose in the Kop hierarchy after a bloke called Rod ( who used to wear a Union Jack draped over his shoulders) was banned for life following the Forest battle in 68 (I think).

Big fair-haired bloke - I got inadvertently flattened by him celebrating Clarkie's late goal at Hillsborough in the 69 semi-final.

Another bloke called Jez Northfold who carried a bell with'Willie' painted on it (geddit?), and Nutty Svarc (Bobby's brother) from the Saff,

Some rare characters in the Kop back then...

Edited by Stoopid

I made reference to some memories of the Hinckley Mob  in the recent thread of 80,s Away Days....I was only a child in them days 11/12 years young.....Steve Herbert.....I do remember a Sid Herbert who was a. Leicester fan..He was my physics and science teacher in King Edward vi grammar school in Nuneaton.....A right old nutty professor he was.Used to have a shinty stick and didn’t think twice about giving you a clatter with it if you stepped out of line at school.....any relation Steve ?

i don’t remember hassle between Nuneaton lads and Hinckley lads. I know some of the Nuneaton based Leicester fans used to be part of the Hinckley mob. One name that springs to mind is Bob Lord.....Think his father was Lord Mayor or politician from Nuneaton but he anD couple of others would regularly miss the coach home due to getting into fights with anyone they could. 

Brady that would have been Reg and Rhett way back then but I was thinking of Reg Greens two lads who go into trouble after a serious set to with Cov fans.Reg was a strange one could be a right nuisance but then put all his efforts into the youth clubs.He used to do a bit of debt collecting for my old firm and he always got the money.

Pretty sure Rhett died from an alcohol related issue went to Tenerife and drank himself daft

6 hours ago, baker11 said:

Kop leaders and hierarchical terrace spots. It all sounds very much like Ultras and European fanscenes.

May have been similar to Euro Ultras, but we didnt know at the time! Dont forget, there was no internet, or mobile phones back then. All the 'arranging' was done at school on a friday, basically consisted of "are you going". Most of the Mob were grammar school lads aged 15/16. We werent great at fighting, but we could all run like fook! 

Basically, imagine several unconnected UFS gangs. We would band together to support City, and antagonise the away fans, then 'banter' between the groups if no away lads available. All made easier as it was all standing, pay on the day, so getting the gangs together was easy. You UFS lads would have loved it! Our spot was right behind the goal, about 10 rows back, and woe betide any other group trying to take our place. Happy days mate, no pre-match drinks, in the ground an hour before kick off, and loads of noise from start to finish.

@iriishfoxkev, no relation to Sid Herbert - as far as I know

I'll have go at getting "The Hinckley Mob duh duh-duh" chant going on Sunday and see if anyone joins in!

Edited by steveherbe

Remember the lads I went with, who were mostly from the Saff forming an unlikely alliance with a bunch of Braunstone boys because they were both getting a bit sick of the Hinckley mob (duh-de-duh) constant chant.

Cant remember if anything came of it though.

It was a very long time ago...

49 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Remember the lads I went with, who were mostly from the Saff forming an unlikely alliance with a bunch of Braunstone boys because they were both getting a bit sick of the Hinckley mob (duh-de-duh) constant chant.

Cant remember if anything came of it though.

It was a very long time ago...

Nah, dont think it ever came to anything, just silly kids ( me included!) mouthing off at each other - bloody great fun though.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2013 at 21:04, steveherbe said:

You got them, Griff was Keith Griffin. Dont remember Click though. Most of us were from Hinckley Grammar School - now John Cleveland College I believe.Bloody hell, didn't think anyone would remember!! I'll just throw another couple of names out, Blair Chalmers and Dave Smith.

Know both spent summer in Greece with Blair in 80s and known Dave for years 

3 hours ago, steveherbe said:

Nah, dont think it ever came to anything, just silly kids ( me included!) mouthing off at each other - bloody great fun though.

Your name rings a bell did you drink in marquis Hinckley go Hinckley grammer etc etc 

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2013 at 21:08, Zingari said:

"Click" was a tall lad with very bright ginger hair ( you couldn't miss him really) , I don't know why they called him that or what his real name was but he was quite distinctive and often used to get thrown out at away games :D

Don't know those names

as you said , happy times :thumbup:

He's probably a vicar now. :rolleyes:.

11 hours ago, dyanmark said:

Brady that would have been Reg and Rhett way back then but I was thinking of Reg Greens two lads who go into trouble after a serious set to with Cov fans.Reg was a strange one could be a right nuisance but then put all his efforts into the youth clubs.He used to do a bit of debt collecting for my old firm and he always got the money.

Pretty sure Rhett died from an alcohol related issue went to Tenerife and drank himself daft

That right don’t know regs lads etc played football with Rhett and reg ran Tom towers youth club for years

1 minute ago, Brady said:

Click found god and moved to the coast years ago 

As a youngster was in awe of Griff but Click was great, always friendly. He was also well into Northern Soul , as is Lank (Colin Chamberlain) who runs and DJs local events. Lanks brother, Ginger was a real character.

Can't remember any run ins with the Nuneaton lot but there used to be a fair bit of bother at The Chase, usually with Bedworth, Kersley Cov fans.

Brady the club is now Green Towers(  and vey nice set up) so credit where its due to Reg.Not sure of him now had the pub just down  from the police station (handy the old bill knew where all the villains were)for a few years.My lad lives over there so ill find out at he weekend.not sure we get characters like that any more.

54 minutes ago, Foxesmints said:

As a youngster was in awe of Griff but Click was great, always friendly. He was also well into Northern Soul , as is Lank (Colin Chamberlain) who runs and DJs local events. Lanks brother, Ginger was a real character.

Can't remember any run ins with the Nuneaton lot but there used to be a fair bit of bother at The Chase, usually with Bedworth, Kersley Cov fans.

Know lank he played for downes with us I went to work in jersey with ginger but had 2 week on piss instead and we Ghana home instead lol used to go chase as well    Sunday nitghes is never had no runnings with Nuneaton lads used to sometimes go dugdale pub in Nuneaton b4 match etc 

50 minutes ago, dyanmark said:

Brady the club is now Green Towers(  and vey nice set up) so credit where its due to Reg.Not sure of him now had the pub just down  from the police station (handy the old bill knew where all the villains were)for a few years.My lad lives over there so ill find out at he weekend.not sure we get characters like that any more.

Seen a mate of reg yesterday he hardly leaves his house I was told he used to have the duke of Rutland pub many moons ago there was some characters about in them days lol 

13 hours ago, Brady said:

Know lank he played for downes with us I went to work in jersey with ginger but had 2 week on piss instead and we Ghana home instead lol used to go chase as well    Sunday nitghes is never had no runnings with Nuneaton lads used to sometimes go dugdale pub in Nuneaton b4 match etc 

Legend had it that Ging told his good lady that he was just popping down the shop to get some fags but hopped it to Jersey lol

12 minutes ago, Foxesmints said:

Legend had it that Ging told his good lady that he was just popping down the shop to get some fags but hopped it to Jersey lol

That is about right we only lasted 2 weeks fcuk getting a job lol ain’t seen ging for a while nor his brother lank