Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Reasons for our shocking away form?

Evening all, home a couple of hours ago but Mrs M had lined up rib eye steaks and a nice bottle of merlot, would have been rude not to........ :thumbup:

Todays performance is a prime example of how conservative, defensive play has fooked up our away form....... :(

Since hitting top spot back in the autumn we have become very conservative away from home, like we somehow have something to protect. Sometimes we change formation but mostly we just set up in a very defensive manner, our fullbacks, De Laet in particular are held back, our wide men given heavy defensive responsibilities and suddenly our front men are starved of both support and service.

Today was classic, everyone bar the front 2 sat so deep that we had few options breaking out of defence, we either gave the ball away or hit it long, conceding possession in either case.

We had spells where we were better than that, but nowhere near enough, ironically the Ipswich goal came during one of our most dominant periods..... :rolleyes:

I have said this many times before, we are hopeless at trying to play a cautious, defensive style, we would be far better if we just went after the opposition. Get forward and attack in numbers is, for us at this moment, our only real option. We might get caught on the break but more often than not I would back us to score more goals than the opposition.

Just fooking go for it...... :thumbup:

This is the problem not formations, the players 'must have' been instructed by the Manager to take a more defensive attitude for away games hence the solidity of the defence, this unfortunately doesn't win you games and neither does it guarantee you won't concede in tight games leading to games being lost by the odd goal. Pearson has never been the most adventurous of managers and although he's upped his game at home away we still try to grind out results when in truth the players, which he has in most part assembled are much more suited to more adventurous attacking game.

For the few away games i've been to it's like going back in time to his last full season in the League.

Mrs M does a good steak, rib eye for preference cooked in a really hot ridged pan, bit of salad with coleslaw and a few chips.

She knew the score when I got in, so a nice cold Becks (or two) while she is getting it together, glass or two of decent wine to go with, almost makes up for a total waste of a day...... :(

There's nothing like an understanding wife! lol

Evening all, home a couple of hours ago but Mrs M had lined up rib eye steaks and a nice bottle of merlot, would have been rude not to........ :thumbup:

Todays performance is a prime example of how conservative, defensive play has fooked up our away form....... :(

Since hitting top spot back in the autumn we have become very conservative away from home, like we somehow have something to protect. Sometimes we change formation but mostly we just set up in a very defensive manner, our fullbacks, De Laet in particular are held back, our wide men given heavy defensive responsibilities and suddenly our front men are starved of both support and service.

Today was classic, everyone bar the front 2 sat so deep that we had few options breaking out of defence, we either gave the ball away or hit it long, conceding possession in either case.

We had spells where we were better than that, but nowhere near enough, ironically the Ipswich goal came during one of our most dominant periods..... :rolleyes:

I have said this many times before, we are hopeless at trying to play a cautious, defensive style, we would be far better if we just went after the opposition. Get forward and attack in numbers is, for us at this moment, our only real option. We might get caught on the break but more often than not I would back us to score more goals than the opposition.

Just fooking go for it...... :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Yeah, you're right. Lets sack him and get Sven back to spaff £30mil on has beens and don't wants.

What an idiot Pearson. Trying to balance books and bring in young hungry players. Pearson out.

Perhaps he should be an accountant then?

Yeah, you're right. Lets sack him and get Sven back to spaff £30mil on has beens and don't wants.

What an idiot Pearson. Trying to balance books and bring in young hungry players. Pearson out.

We once had a manager called Craig Levein. He was always talking about 'young, hungry' players, brought a load of them in and knocked a third off our wage bill in twelve months. You'd have loved him.

We once had a manager called Craig Levein. He was always talking about 'young, hungry' players, brought a load of them in and knocked a third off our wage bill in twelve months. You'd have loved him.

We would've done if he actually looked like winning matches.

Comparing levein to Pearson is ridiculous. The levels some fans will stoop to for criticism

Comparing levein to Pearson is ridiculous. The levels some fans will stoop to for criticism

The two defences he offered for Pearson were reducing the wage bill and bringing in young, hungry players. That's pretty much the only defence anyone has ever been able to offer for Levein. I'm pointing out that you have to do rather better than that in your argument.

If your reading of that fairly straightforward observation is that I think Pearson and Levein are on a par with one another, then there really is no hope.

The two defences he offered for Pearson were reducing the wage bill and bringing in young, hungry players. That's pretty much the only defence anyone has ever been able to offer for Levein. I'm pointing out that you have to do rather better than that in your argument.

If your reading of that fairly straightforward observation is that I think Pearson and Levein are on a par with one another, then there really is no hope.

Times have changed a lot since then with football, wage bills and general finances in the game make the game ruthless now so in current times, I believe Pearson has done well. Pearsons record for us has always been very good and his signings are generally much better than leveins ever was.

Times have changed a lot since then with football, wage bills and general finances in the game make the game ruthless now so in current times, I believe Pearson has done well. Pearsons record for us has always been very good and his signings are generally much better than leveins ever was.

I agree. He's had more money than Levein (in both spells) but there's no question that he's got an eye for a player or, at very least, Steve Walsh has. And yes, he has been a very good manager for us, if we include the first spell in that. The success of his second reign will, I suspect, be largely dictated by whether or not we win promotion this year.

It's harder to defend Levein. He signed Fryatt who scored the goals to get us out of League One, and did well once he was back in the Championship, and he scouted McCauley who is now a top flight regular. He did an impressive job of cutting our wage bill and we enjoyed a few decent Cup victories under his stewardship. But no, he was not a good manager, because he was expected to put together a team that could challenge for the play offs - albeit on a budget - and failed.

None of this has anything to do with our current away form, does it?!

To my mind, we should always be wary that the opposition (whatever their standard or status) may well score(sneak) one goal during the 90+ mins of play. Ipswich did it to us and Wolves did it to Watford on Friday night and although we are disappointed and disgruntled, I don't think Watford and Cardiff fans are any the happier after their team's performance this weekend.

My dad always said 'the first job is to equalise before the other team score!' and having seen far more away games than home, matches this season, I would strongly dispute that our away form this season has been 'atrocious' or 'shocking'. At Blackburn, we played superbly. It was over 30 mins before Blackburn crossed the halfway line. Middlesbrough - won 2-1; Bolton 0-0 but another solid attacking team performance. Burnley - won 1-0, Huddersfield - won 2-0 (played them of the park!);Sheff. Wed - won 2-0; Bristol City - narrowly won 4-0, Blackpool 0-0.

Where we have lost, it has only been the narrowest of margins. Yet this is regarded as atrocious away form. Well I say ''Get Real'. This is football. This is Leicester - the unpredictables - which is about the only thing you can predict.

The end of the world is not nigh. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Nigel Pearson needs your support, the team needs your encouragement - not your brickbats. Yes I'm disappointed, you are disappointed, but we are in this together.

I want Premiership football just as much as you so grit your teeth, get out there and play your part.

To my mind, we should always be wary that the opposition (whatever their standard or status) may well score(sneak) one goal during the 90+ mins of play. Ipswich did it to us and Wolves did it to Watford on Friday night and although we are disappointed and disgruntled, I don't think Watford and Cardiff fans are any the happier after their team's performance this weekend.

My dad always said 'the first job is to equalise before the other team score!' and having seen far more away games than home, matches this season, I would strongly dispute that our away form this season has been 'atrocious' or 'shocking'. At Blackburn, we played superbly. It was over 30 mins before Blackburn crossed the halfway line. Middlesbrough - won 2-1; Bolton 0-0 but another solid attacking team performance. Burnley - won 1-0, Huddersfield - won 2-0 (played them of the park!);Sheff. Wed - won 2-0; Bristol City - narrowly won 4-0, Blackpool 0-0.

Where we have lost, it has only been the narrowest of margins. Yet this is regarded as atrocious away form. Well I say ''Get Real'. This is football. This is Leicester - the unpredictables - which is about the only thing you can predict.

The end of the world is not nigh. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Nigel Pearson needs your support, the team needs your encouragement - not your brickbats. Yes I'm disappointed, you are disappointed, but we are in this together.

I want Premiership football just as much as you so grit your teeth, get out there and play your part.

our away record isthe same as Peterborough enough said

Right, because us scoring the goal would've had no impact on the rest of the game from that point would it?

Pure conjecture , we did not score and they did fact. Even if we had score with that chance it does not equate to a win , Ipswich were more than capable or scoring because we were lacklustre throughout and they did.

mate, our away form of 5 wins 4 draws and 8 losses is AWFUL!

Away record in our sh*t era:

04/05 - 4 13 6 = 25 points.

05/06 - 5 6 12 = 21 points

06/07 - 7 6 10 = 27 points

07/08 - 5 9 9 = 24 points

Other than 05/06 we are about level Id say with the other 3 seasons. so IMO our away form is "relegation battling" at BEST. our home form has shown to be very different which suggests its something to do with the way we play away, rather than the actual team of players we have. In all those 4 seasons above, our home form was pretty similar, just much of a muchness i.e CRAP...however this season, although not being a crap team or in a crap position, our away form IS crap!

Edit: Oh and I forgot, our last 6 away games are:

Barnsley

Derby

Brighton

Forest

Palace

Cardiff

So out that list, where is even 1 win coming from?! Other than Bansley, I dont even see much chance. Even Barnsley will be tough considering Ipswich and Peterboro. At best 7 points from those 6 is likely..In reality at least a minimum of 11 will be required.

Win at Forest, Derby, Barnsley..knicking a couple of draws out the other 3 and maybe losing 1 then we'd have a chance..unlikely though.

Foxblogger

Ipswich Town 1-0 Leicester City: Key Numbers

Posted on 03/03/2013 by foxblogger

More often than not its not been fun to follow Leicester City on the road over the last few years. In 2010/11 the Foxes were beaten 13 times away from home. Last season there were 10 defeats. Now City have clocked up their 8th away defeat of the season. On days like yesterday those who travel around the country with the side deserve a huge amount of credit.

The key numbers;

12 – Leicester away record is the 12th best in the Championship. The Foxes have won just five times on the road. It will come as no surprise to learn the best sides in the division away from home are Watford, Cardiff and Hull, who’ve won ten, nine and eight on the road respectively.

12 – This was the number of games Leicester lost last season by a single goal. City’s total for this season now stands at 11. This blog has mentioned several times the fact that the Foxes haven’t lost a league game by more than one goal this season. But apart from protecting the Foxes impressive goal difference this record hardly makes taking the defeats easier.

17 – Leicester have scored just a goal a game on the road. Only three sides (Derby County, Bristol City and Ipswich Town) have scored fewer on their travels. Stats like this don’t suggest Leicester will become more adventurous on the road in the final weeks of the campaign.

The reasons for our (rather) shocking away form (well, shocking if you compare it to our home record)?

- Don't show up for away games (somewhat absent-minded performances), missing the last bite

- Negative, overly cautious tactics employed by Pearson

- Bad luck (couple of really good performances, but without any tangible result)

There you have it.

We still have a few chances left to turn this bad away record around, but it needs to happen soon.

The reasons for our (rather) shocking away form (well, shocking if you compare it to our home record)?

- Don't show up for away games (somewhat absent-minded performances), missing the last bite

- Negative, overly cautious tactics employed by Pearson

- Bad luck (couple of really good performances, but without any tangible result)

There you have it.

We still have a few chances left to turn this bad away record around, but it needs to happen soon.

or just simply shite ?

Well said

All the opposing managers must rub their hands with glee when they see King's name on our team sheet

you may be right, but on saturday he was our best player, and as far as i can remember he showed the most class over anyone else on the pitch. Having said that, he seems to be a "confidence " player, and in today's game you can't risk that with a centre mid.

Archived