Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Reasons for our shocking away form?

What is your problem? Why can't you accept that sometimes a bit of positivity wouldn't do any harm on here?

We were poor today, but to say that Pearson is an idiot when he's led us to our highest position in 9 years is a fairly silly comment. People have short memories for sure.

What gets me, is this paradoxical reaction when we lose and win. You say I always say the same thing, well that's because I believe in the team and Pearson. I disagree with knee jerk reactions as though we are imminently doomed by relagation into the abyss.

You started being sarcastic in the second post, before anyone called him an idiot on this thread.

The OP asked a fair question.

My call for a defensive minded midfielder, strong and with physical presence, is a bit paradoxical. As CC star rightly said in the post-match thread, our problem hasn't been conceding goals away, it's been scoring them. That's fair enough.

Why I think a midfielder with the SOLE purpose of defending and sitting just off our back four is needed is because this would give our more attack minded players the opportunity to get forward as much as possible. In this way, goals would come.

Marshall and Knocky are NOT defensive minded players yet, away from home they are expected to defend in a 4-4-2. In this way they became wasted as an attacking threat, especially Knocky who's obvious talent is being completely hamstrung by Pearson's tactics.

Let me make it clear, I have firmly believed all season that we would score MORE goals if we had a player sat in that area in front of the back four, whose role it is simply to hold, to get his foot in and to break up attacks. We can then build up play again and get the 'flair' players forward quicker.

How they are at present is playing in a system which makes them ineffectual, away from home.

1) We do need a physical ball-winning midfielder who gives the same game-in-game-out in terms of effort. Some of us, yourself included, were banging that drum back in October. We also - and this was evident in mid-January while we were still winning games - need a winger. The problem today was more the latter than the former, but it doesn't change the painstakingly obvious.

2) Nonetheless, even within the options at our disposal we should be doing better in games like today's. On a poor pitch against a physical midfield and a side who like to play it long, we can't expect to be able to play precisely the same side and tactics as we did at home to Blackburn.

My major concern for some time, regardless of whether it results in a win, draw or loss, is that Pearson will never change a winning line-up, criticise it, add to it, or alter the tactics. He was far more proactive in his first spell at the club. Had he acted after the Wolves game, when we deserved no more than a point, then I doubt we'd be looking over our shoulders at 7th place.

In this league he has been quite happy for the side to achieve borderline play-off form, constantly praising our performances over the course of the season - but over the course of the season we haven't quite lived up to expectations.

He has set the bar too low. If it isn't raised, then he'll pay for his hesitancy, blinkered faith and stubbornness with his job. I don't want this to happen and I won't call for his head if we don't go up, but neither will I be able to convincingly argue in his defence.

Only scored 17 away goals. The worst in the division is 16.

We have the best away defence in the division.

The buck stops with creative players, goalscorers & the manager.

We didn't take our chance for the second away game in a row, however it's not like we're creating many more than that, if any at all.

There is no meaningful possession in the final third & for me that's a formation issue.

We've got a manager who keeps doing exactly the same thing away from but expects different results each time he does it. Seriously, you're damn good Nige, but have a word with yourself!

We've won 5 in 17 (I think) around the worse in the division & scored 17 again around the worse in the division... Whereas the defensive side of our game is the best in the division... It's obvious to anyone we need more meaningful possession in the final 3rd so for me it's all about the formation or tactics both of which need to change.

Only scored 17 away goals. The worst in the division is 16.

We have the best away defence in the division.

The buck stops with creative players, goalscorers & the manager.

We didn't take our chance for the second away game in a row, however it's not like we're creating many more than that, if any at all.

There is no meaningful possession in the final third & for me that's a formation issue.

We've got a manager who keeps doing exactly the same thing away from but expects different results each time he does it. Seriously, you're damn good Nige, but have a word with yourself!

We've won 5 in 17 (I think) around the worse in the division & scored 17 again around the worse in the division... Whereas the defensive side of our game is the best in the division... It's obvious to anyone we need more meaningful possession in the final 3rd so for me it's all about the formation or tactics both of which need to change.

I just don't think he has the tactical awareness or the breadth of ideas to know how to change anything ..... So he will have a word with himself but it will involve "working harder on the training ground" kind of cliches.

Plan A - quick movement of the ball on the floor, bullying teams with the ball, fast aggressive attacking ..... it works a treat ..... But so many have said it, we desperately need a suitable plan b for away games, and when the opposition press us hard, don't give us any space and get behind the ball.

i just feel that our poor away form is going to cost cut us i think Auto promotion is now out of reach unless this is sorted out over next month i feel my heart is saying we wont make the play-offs (thats cuts me up inside)

squad depth when you are chasing a game Gallagher & Dyer Vardy put Waghorn in there are not good enough not connsitant enough over a tough Championship season i feel with no Plan B this will cost us already cost us Second place unless big change around play offs will be gone as well

I think we need to enter loan market Midfield add steel away from home & a winger i think we really missed an opportunity with George ~Boyd going to Hull

Not sure how fit Ex Crewe Man U midlfeld is Nick powell do you think hes up for the job

I just feel we really need to go up this year

I really hope i am wrong but we r coming up to squeeky bum time

Up the foxes

This midfield steel card is boring now....

Had we of taken chances today and Blackpool, we'd of won both games. Defensively we've been good all season.

We havent scored in the past 2 away games and i feel thats down to the way we're setting up,not the personnel.

As pointed out today, Ipswich knew our main supply would be Knockaert and Marshall so they cut it off

Strange when a side can't win away from home, but wins home games. I remember when Ipswich did the same thing, and I recall Swansea losing a lot of away games when they went up the other season.

Kane missing. I suppose I'm lumping everything into one event here (perhaps a bit unfairly too) but that's what I'd put it down to.

The ball just had to go in the net from that position. It didn't. Had it done so I believe we would have won today. We did miss other chances later on of course and we really should'v salvaged a point at least.

I'm not too worried but I'd view winning our next two as fairly important if we're going to get 2nd spot.

He's looked at players like trotter and fryers during the summer. Its clear he knows a strong centre mid and a left back are important to the team and states time and time again that there's a lot of work to do still! He's stubborn with 4-4-2, but i feel a summer of getting rid of the few week links like gallagher,wellens,vardy and futacs and adding the options needed! We'll be fine which ever formation we play. We have a good starting 11! But when it gets to 65mins and things need freshening up, we have nothing! Its going to take time and working within financial budgets. I'd like to see James Vaughan,Liam Trotter,Cameron Stewart! With Schlupp playing at left back for the 2013/14 season. We would then have a quality x1 and a quality bench retaining the close knit,small group that Nigel likes to work in!

He's looked at players like trotter and fryers during the summer. Its clear he knows a strong centre mid and a left back are important to the team and states time and time again that there's a lot of work to do still! He's stubborn with 4-4-2, but i feel a summer of getting rid of the few week links like gallagher,wellens,vardy and futacs and adding the options needed! We'll be fine which ever formation we play. We have a good starting 11! But when it gets to 65mins and things need freshening up, we have nothing! Its going to take time and working within financial budgets. I'd like to see James Vaughan,Liam Trotter,Cameron Stewart! With Schlupp playing at left back for the 2013/14 season. We would then have a quality x1 and a quality bench retaining the close knit,small group that Nigel likes to work in!

Would be ok as back up but he's no better than Marshall

one of the best wingers in the championship before his leg break! Got a trick, young and got time to get back to what he was. Also a nice cheap option. It would be a cheap summer, but additions that would add something!

one of the best wingers in the championship before his leg break! Got a trick, young and got time to get back to what he was. Also a nice cheap option. It would be a cheap summer, but additions that would add something!

The lad has ability and potential but he's over rated.

There's a reason he's been loaned out to Burnley and Blackburn this season

Evening all, home a couple of hours ago but Mrs M had lined up rib eye steaks and a nice bottle of merlot, would have been rude not to........ :thumbup:

Todays performance is a prime example of how conservative, defensive play has fooked up our away form....... :(

Since hitting top spot back in the autumn we have become very conservative away from home, like we somehow have something to protect. Sometimes we change formation but mostly we just set up in a very defensive manner, our fullbacks, De Laet in particular are held back, our wide men given heavy defensive responsibilities and suddenly our front men are starved of both support and service.

Today was classic, everyone bar the front 2 sat so deep that we had few options breaking out of defence, we either gave the ball away or hit it long, conceding possession in either case.

We had spells where we were better than that, but nowhere near enough, ironically the Ipswich goal came during one of our most dominant periods..... :rolleyes:

I have said this many times before, we are hopeless at trying to play a cautious, defensive style, we would be far better if we just went after the opposition. Get forward and attack in numbers is, for us at this moment, our only real option. We might get caught on the break but more often than not I would back us to score more goals than the opposition.

Just fooking go for it...... :thumbup:

Evening all, home a couple of hours ago but Mrs M had lined up rib eye steaks and a nice bottle of merlot, would have been rude not to........ :thumbup:

Todays performance is a prime example of how conservative, defensive play has fooked up our away form....... :(

Since hitting top spot back in the autumn we have become very conservative away from home, like we somehow have something to protect. Sometimes we change formation but mostly we just set up in a very defensive manner, our fullbacks, De Laet in particular are held back, our wide men given heavy defensive responsibilities and suddenly our front men are starved of both support and service.

Today was classic, everyone bar the front 2 sat so deep that we had few options breaking out of defence, we either gave the ball away or hit it long, conceding possession in either case.

We had spells where we were better than that, but nowhere near enough, ironically the Ipswich goal came during one of our most dominant periods..... :rolleyes:

I have said this many times before, we are hopeless at trying to play a cautious, defensive style, we would be far better if we just went after the opposition. Get forward and attack in numbers is, for us at this moment, our only real option. We might get caught on the break but more often than not I would back us to score more goals than the opposition.

Good post and some good points....

Hope you enjoyed your steak :-) at least thats a nice way to cheer you up!

Good post and some good points....

Hope you enjoyed your steak :-) at least thats a nice way to cheer you up!

Mrs M does a good steak, rib eye for preference cooked in a really hot ridged pan, bit of salad with coleslaw and a few chips.

She knew the score when I got in, so a nice cold Becks (or two) while she is getting it together, glass or two of decent wine to go with, almost makes up for a total waste of a day...... :(

We were better away from home last year, we just seemed to go for it more.

Pearson is a one trick pony. if it doesnt work put Lloyd Dyer on, he's league one at best (hence why he was part of us destroying league one and has done **** all in the championship) andy king is awful for 89 minutes of a football game but still plays 90 minutes most weeks! marshall is told to defend more when he should be more creative, everyone moans about vardy when he was never going to the championship alight coming from non league football. Wes Morgan has been immense though but all in all we're not ****ing good enough and considering the budget Pearson works under, lying in 6th position is not good enough on a bad run going into the important part of the season, its about results and we're not getting them at the minute. be lucky to make wembley but if anyone can turn it round it i still believe its NP.

We have been going downhill since he brought Gallagher and Wellens back into the squad,

Not making them the scapegoat but it is a bit worrying can see us being out of the play offs come the end of March

exactly ! heard gally is having a real bad influence on knocky . 100% correct .

Archived