Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scow

Pearson and Hull City

I look at Hull this season and they appear to be on course for automatic promotion. It’s widely acknowledged that Pearson set the foundations there and Bruce has taken it one step further. Could it be that Pearson recruits well (with the odd exception), but is no more than a play-off chasing manager at this level? For the most part since December, we appear to be more of a ‘reactive’ than a ‘proactive’ team, despite promising signs early on. If, given the chance, could Pearson take this team one step further and challenge for the top 2 next season?

Sorry to disagree but Pearson has now had two bites of the cherry here and we are currently going backwards. Ok the first time around he could have stood his ground and chose not to talk to Hull despite Mandaric giving him the go-ahead but second time we are in reverse and it is only good fortune that we have points in the bag because if we had been further down the league when this rot started we'd be holding all the others up!!

Always been a lower end manager. He can give structure and discipline to young or low level players and get a job done. He like the players to NEED him or else they can do one. He has never outwitted a manager with his tactics or subs which shows his level. This is the biggest gig of his career and he has failed. God knows who advised the owners to go back for him

And to top it all he treats the fans and media like he is mourinho when all he has achieved is promotion from league one. He is ideally suited to that role. Horrid man

I look at Hull this season and they appear to be on course for automatic promotion. It’s widely acknowledged that Pearson set the foundations there and Bruce has taken it one step further. Could it be that Pearson recruits well (with the odd exception), but is no more than a play-off chasing manager at this level? For the most part since December, we appear to be more of a ‘reactive’ than a ‘proactive’ team, despite promising signs early on. If, given the chance, could Pearson take this team one step further and challenge for the top 2 next season?

Thats bang on, he's probably just above avarage imo and he hasnt got what it takes to finish in the top two.I think if we got someone in who's taken a team up with a 2 or3 players coming in this team could be very good but for me Pearson hasnt got that edge.

And to think that some of our fans were laughing at the appointment of Bruce last summer.

Really?

Baffling if that was the case.

Always been a lower end manager. He can give structure and discipline to young or low level players and get a job done. He like the players to NEED him or else they can do one. He has never outwitted a manager with his tactics or subs which shows his level. This is the biggest gig of his career and he has failed. God knows who advised the owners to go back for him

And to top it all he treats the fans and media like he is mourinho when all he has achieved is promotion from league one. He is ideally suited to that role. Horrid man

Say what?

Sorry to disagree but Pearson has now had two bites of the cherry here and we are currently going backwards. Ok the first time around he could have stood his ground and chose not to talk to Hull despite Mandaric giving him the go-ahead but second time we are in reverse and it is only good fortune that we have points in the bag because if we had been further down the league when this rot started we'd be holding all the others up!!

You are wrong.

I am currently undecided as to whether or not we should sack NP, simply because i do not believe O'Neill, Mcdermott or Di Matteo would join us, and the other replacements available are poor IMO.

But Pearson has not sent up backwards.

We were in league 1, he got us promoted, last season we finished 9th with a much higher level of spending, now we sit just outside the play-offs.

So to suggest NP has sent us backwards is wrong.

What? Saving Soton, getting us promoted and to the playoffs and he's 'lower-end'? What does this even mean?

See Haydos' thread - you're one of THOSE people. On what basis is he a 'horrid man'?

Ps. are you Matt Mills?

If we finish closer to 10th than 6th then you could say he has achieved very little on the field of play.

One thing has has achieved, however, is cutting our wage bill dramatically.

We should respect him for a decent finish AND doing a financial reshaping job at the same time.

That's exactly why I want Pearson to stay. The underlying progress is there even if it's not very visible at the moment, we stand an excellent chance next season.

an excellent chance of what? the 2 relegated teams from the pl have a HUGE inbuilt advantage in 2013/14 because parachute money is not counted in the FFP rules, whilst the rest of us have to exist on scraps. this is the make or break season, going to be very difficult to get out of this division afterwards.

It appears that despite Pearson's best intentions announced to the cameras/media alike, that he did come back here for his £1 million a year pay cheque and seemingly little else at this juncture! Hull said he did at the time after leaiving them after one season and a bit incharge and we pooh-poohed them with comments along the lines of "jealous" but maybe they had a point......

an excellent chance of what? the 2 relegated teams from the pl have a HUGE inbuilt advantage in 2013/14 because parachute money is not counted in the FFP rules, whilst the rest of us have to exist on scraps. this is the make or break season, going to be very difficult to get out of this division afterwards.

Players are more willing to leave relegated clubs now which means a lot of rebuilding has to take place. I agree they have the resources but with so much instability you can't say for sure that they will be a major threat. They could be, but sensible management is more likely to bring success.

What? Saving Soton, getting us promoted and to the playoffs and he's 'lower-end'? What does this even mean?

He saved saints with organisation skills not great or inspiring tactics. Same for promotion from league one. When he needed to take the next step up in the play offs he screwed up the first leg. My opinion is he is also a horrid person. I don't feel the need to abuse him in stronger terms. Not read about THOSE people but if they didn't want him back and have constantly hoped he would go then yes I am

See Haydos' thread - you're one of THOSE people. On what basis is he a 'horrid man'?

Ps. are you Matt Mills?

Pearson's a fantastic firefighter.

He comes in, gets rid of the egos and the deadwood and builds young, hungry sides whilst cutting the wage budget and making spending sustainable. Up until today on the basis of what I'd seen pre-February I was strongly in favour of giving him the rest of this season and even next season to see if he could get us to the point of maintaining some of the very high levels we have shown this year. Now I think he has to go as that today was not a display by a team who want to/will be able to turn things round for their manager.

One thing that is for sure is that whoever comes in next will be building on very good foundations laid by Pearson and for that much he should always be respected. I would hate to see Pearson get abuse, and I hate seeing people unable to acknowledge the job he has done in a relatively short period of time, but it's time to say "thanks for what you've done but a change is needed now".

Archived