Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

Isn't it about time for another Vardy thread?

Vardy gets slated by most contributors on here, but when he was a regular member of the team during the early part of the season we got up to first and were playing excellent attacking football. Even if his goal tally wasn't very impressive (though it wasn't awful, and up to his injury was showing signs of improvement), it's unreasonable to question his effectiveness as a team player.

Worse than that I didn't get any rep points. I was effectively accused of heresy.

Now he's been overtaken in the goals column by the antichrist. In less games too.

And I said Sol Bamba and Lee Peltier were our biggest downfalls last season, people laughed at me... oh look

Earlier in the season, I said we need to keep Schlupp, Waghorn, Vardy fit to play ahead of Nugent if they are playing better than him. Col laughed at me saying this would never happen and that Nugent should never be dropped.

Do I start threads to get rep points... no boreeeeeeeeeee off

You've made some good posts this season Ted. Better than last season IMO and I think we agree on Schlupp.

However, my belief was and still is that Nugent is the best striker we have at the club. I think he's suffered more than most from some of the crazy decisions Pearson has made over recent months.

Nuge was our top league scorer last season by miles and is this season too I think? (Not counting Woods goals for Millwall).

Put Nugent into a good side and he'd continue to score plenty.

Waggy and Vardy aren't in the same league as Nugent IMO.

You've made some good posts this season Ted. Better than last season IMO and I think we agree on Schlupp.

However, my belief was and still is that Nugent is the best striker we have at the club. I think he's suffered more than most from some of the crazy decisions Pearson has made over recent months.

Nuge was our top league scorer last season by miles and is this season too I think? (Not counting Woods goals for Millwall).

Put Nugent into a good side and he'd continue to score plenty.

Waggy and Vardy aren't in the same league as Nugent IMO.

My point before though was that strikers would fall out of form, and should Nugent have gone 4/5 games without scoring then he should be dropped with, again, at the time Waghorn/Vardy/Schlupp to come in as strikers and wingers are the most flexible to rotate and give a kick up the arse every now and then. Unfortunately, Nugent should have been dropped 6 or 7 games ago. In my opinion, Nugent will never be more than a Championship striker, he just lacks that cutting edge, that extra instinct. His season in the Premiership with Burnley proved that unfortunately, he's a limited striker.

My point before though was that strikers would fall out of form, and should Nugent have gone 4/5 games without scoring then he should be dropped with, again, at the time Waghorn/Vardy/Schlupp to come in as strikers and wingers are the most flexible to rotate and give a kick up the arse every now and then. Unfortunately, Nugent should have been dropped 6 or 7 games ago. In my opinion, Nugent will never be more than a Championship striker, he just lacks that cutting edge, that extra instinct. His season in the Premiership with Burnley proved that unfortunately, he's a limited striker.

I can't argue with any of that. I see no reason why an out of form striker can't be dropped.

And I do believe Nuge would continue to struggle in the Premiership if we ever get there.

Vardy gets slated by most contributors on here, but when he was a regular member of the team during the early part of the season we got up to first and were playing excellent attacking football. Even if his goal tally wasn't very impressive (though it wasn't awful, and up to his injury was showing signs of improvement), it's unreasonable to question his effectiveness as a team player.

Agreed...

Vardy's work rate does/will cause problems for defenders, chasing them down etc. At least he will do that, unlike Kane, for example who doesn't bring anything when he comes on (I'm not saying Kane is a bad player).

This is a cracking post, Vardy may not have been prolific but he was virtually an 'ever present' in the team that took us top of the table. When things started to go wrong before Christmas he was one of the first to get scapegoated, despite the fact that the problems were clearly elsewhere.

His season started to fall apart from November onwards but this was more down to our overal team play than Vardy as an individual, look at the stats, Wood's opening two (league) games apart, no one has been scoring regularly.

There have been several posts suggesting that he, Vardy, has been 'on the piss' and generally not putting the work in, I have no idea of the truth or otherwise of that, but if it is true then that is a great shame. :(

I would like to see Vardy given a chance. In terms of shape and formation we looked better against Brighton and Brum, especially with the three up front. Would like to see Nugent/Wood spear head with Schlupp and Vardy either side. In his Career, Vardy has been most successful when he plays as the wide man in a front three, similar to the system we have been recently playing.

Would be foolish not give him a chance now, especially with how things have been going. We would also get a better work rate down the flanks and also help ‘defend from the front’, tired of watching Wood or Kane lumbering about out wide.

WYS

I would like to see Vardy given a chance. In terms of shape and formation we looked better against Brighton and Brum, especially with the three up front. Would like to see Nugent/Wood spear head with Schlupp and Vardy either side. In his Career, Vardy has been most successful when he plays as the wide man in a front three, similar to the system we have been recently playing.

Would be foolish not give him a chance now, especially with how things have been going. We would also get a better work rate down the flanks and also help ‘defend from the front’, tired of watching Wood or Kane lumbering about out wide.

WYS

I have said many times that Vardy should be tried in the wide left position if we are going to play any variation on 4-3-3/4-5-1. He has played this role effectively before and he has the energy and work ethic to both get up and down and get into the box.

In addition, by moving him from a main striking role, some of the pressure on him might be relieved, giving him a much better chance of making the step up to this level.

Still, with the state of disarray we now find ourselves in, I pretty much pity anyone who finds himself in our current starting XI, they are in an impossible 'loose loose' situation in every possible sense.

Shocking, twice as well.

Absolutely, considering it cost nearly 500 quid I would have thought Mrs M's bloody iPad could spell......:)

Not being a smartphone user I have never had to come to terms with auto correct and predictive text, be very pleased when my replacement power supply for my MacBook arrives.

Absolutely, considering it cost nearly 500 quid I would have thought Mrs M's bloody iPad could spell...... :)

Not being a smartphone user I have never had to come to terms with auto correct and predictive text, be very pleased when my replacement power supply for my MacBook arrives.

Don't worry I'm with you, since I got my ipad and posted more from my iphone my spelling has gone to s*** on here.

I just couldn't resist to get the better of you for once :P

Don't worry I'm with you, since I got my ipad and posted more from my iphone my spelling has gone to s*** on here.

I just couldn't resist to get the better of you for once :P

Much more comfortable with the concept of "Answers on a postcard..........." :)

BTW Anyone got a clue how to access emoticons or enable proper formatting on an iThing. (Helpless shrug)

For me it's not just one or two players or just the manager, it's the whole set.

Just sit and watch the big teams and for that matter some of the little teams that we have lost to in the last 13 games.

Lets start at the back, Goalkeeper 98% of the time humps the ball as far as he can down field to other teams defence. They attack running through our midfield and defence as if we are not there.

Fullback and Midfield when they do get the ball can not pass the ball more than twice without giving it away.

Why ?. Because most of the time all there doing is defending because of the long ball.

Why do we never play the ball from the back through the backs and midfield and onto the flanks and then get the cross in.

I feel with all this long ball play that our backs and midfield are starved of the chance to play simple football.

The last point I want to make is this:-

Football is a pass and move game, how many times do you see our players standing still, after making a pass or when getting the ball, do you ever see them trying to loose a player by going on a dummy run.

It's so simple pass move into a space ready to play the ball again should it come back to you, I don't know what's gone wrong we find it so hard to play the simple game.

For me it's not just one or two players or just the manager, it's the whole set.

Just sit and watch the big teams and for that matter some of the little teams that we have lost to in the last 13 games.

Lets start at the back, Goalkeeper 98% of the time humps the ball as far as he can down field to other teams defence. They attack running through our midfield and defence as if we are not there.

Fullback and Midfield when they do get the ball can not pass the ball more than twice without giving it away.

Why ?. Because most of the time all there doing is defending because of the long ball.

Why do we never play the ball from the back through the backs and midfield and onto the flanks and then get the cross in.

I feel with all this long ball play that our backs and midfield are starved of the chance to play simple football.

The last point I want to make is this:-

Football is a pass and move game, how many times do you see our players standing still, after making a pass or when getting the ball, do you ever see them trying to loose a player by going on a dummy run.

It's so simple pass move into a space ready to play the ball again should it come back to you, I don't know what's gone wrong we find it so hard to play the simple game.

We managed to play good passing football for the first 12 weeks of the season, then for some reason we stopped. Suddenly we were setting up defensively, giving the initiative to the opposition and with no one breaking from the back, embracing hoofball.

Why we did this I do not know, but it is clear that this is exactly what happened. When our cautious approach failed, as it did from the moment it was instigated, our response was not to go back to the aggressive style that served us so well but to become more and more conservative.

In a nutshell, the more defensive we play, the worse we play and the more we fail to win.

We managed to play good passing football for the first 12 weeks of the season, then for some reason we stopped. Suddenly we were setting up defensively, giving the initiative to the opposition and with no one breaking from the back, embracing hoofball.

Why we did this I do not know, but it is clear that this is exactly what happened. When our cautious approach failed, as it did from the moment it was instigated, our response was not to go back to the aggressive style that served us so well but to become more and more conservative.

In a nutshell, the more defensive we play, the worse we play and the more we fail to win.

Oh NOT AGAIN Dave!

lol

The fact is we have created more goal scoring opportunities than any other side in the Championship and our goal difference isn't bad but having all the possession and creating all the chances doesn't win you games. Certainly over the last two months we have lost our way and the manager has been unable to arrest the slide.

I'm just grateful that we have amassed the points we have because our current form is more akin to relegation than promotion.

Oh NOT AGAIN Dave!

lol

Sorry Col, but I have been told that there are still several people on the web who are not fully up to speed with my theories.

While this remains the case I am obligated to continue....... lol

I'm sure Dave tires of repeating similar posts

but it is an accurate analysis of what occured .

The question remains, why? It is easy to see what happened and when but why the hell make the change at that time?

OK, it was Palace and a pretty good side, but we were top of the table and in the 2 months prior to that game our home form read played 5 won 5 and even our much maligned away form read played 4 won 2 draw 1 lost 1 , not too shoddy.

shrug.......

Archived