Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MikeyT

Pearson: A Cruel End

I said we've moved forward, we have. 6th is better than 9th/10th than what we have been for the last two seasons (when Pearson wasn't here).

I'm just not sure how much better you think we can get? The only time we have moved forward in the last 5 (even 10 if you count our relegation from the Prem) years is when Nige has been manager.

This post summarises everything that's wrong with the club ......

How much better I think we can get????

Champions.

6th is not good enough with this investment behind the manager. You've got to stop accepting such mediocrity as if it's as much as you can hope for.

Money + Good Manager = Promotion

We have money, we don't have promotion, I'll let you do the maths.

People generally only hate 'told you so's' when they are right. Sadly, that is what the minority who knew NP wasn't up to the task of managing the Leicester City that they love too, are.

Dickhead we will let you off with as you are obviously disappointed and have lost the ability to form sensible sentences.

At least we can assume you will renew your season ticket and enjoy another season of somewhere between 66 and 68 points, hoping that the league is so poor it scrapes you a beloved Play Off place so you can be humiliated again by a team that can outplay you over 2 legs, amassing almost four times as many shots and twice the possession.

Top knows he can count on chaps like you- me, I wish you'd bugger off and support someone else so we can stop all this praising of mediocrity

Funny you started posting after we came up from League One.

And no word about the most mediocre of all mediocre finishes between 2004 and 2009.

It's as if that period doesn't exist in your memories. Selective picking, eh? Anything to prove your point that you have none.

I have yet to see you make constructive criticism - after all, it's the same old, same old cacophony of recycled expressions and overused hyperboles.

You're not a fan, you're a wind-up. Which team do you really support?

Champions.

6th is not good enough with this investment behind the manager. You've got to stop accepting such mediocrity as if it's as much as you can hope for.

You ignore the most basic of facts:

Football is not mathematics. Otherwise, every numbskull who can do simple additions could enter football management.

I think he has to go, he has done OK, but we really should have been challenging top two. If you use today as an example, most teams with a narrow lead would have flooded the midfield to limit there space, or given the way our center backs got opened up time and time again played 3 center backs. Take away the penalty and we ONE shot on target, and he waited for them to equalise and then made a negative sub taking off our main pacey outlet for DD... We lack experience at the back, I can see why he went with Schlupp, but Keane has struggled of late and gets knocked around too much, and he hasn't addressed this either with selections or signings, the same as the midfield lacks genuine creativity like Watford had, and Kane was another poor signing, is he better than Waggy? I don't doubt he signs some decent youngsters (not all have been success's though), but poor selections, tactics, subs and a track record of falling out with players means IMO we will never be better than decent with him in charge. This was a poor division and we only just snuck in, and to be honest got shown up for the very average, technically inadequate team we are, especially away from home.

MY GOD....someone who talks sense at last. Just because we feel that NP has taken the team as far as he can does not mean we are disloyal, I have just renewed my season ticket and my son has not got his first one so please dont bark up that tree. I agree with all the points and made above and he appears not to have the knowledge or skill to make tactical changes or sign players that can get us out of this division. Erm did Steve Bruce take the majority of his team that finished 10th and get them prooted automatically.

MY GOD....someone who talks sense at last. Just because we feel that NP has taken the team as far as he can does not mean we are disloyal, I have just renewed my season ticket and my son has not got his first one so please dont bark up that tree. I agree with all the points and made above and he appears not to have the knowledge or skill to make tactical changes or sign players that can get us out of this division. Erm did Steve Bruce take the majority of his team that finished 10th and get them prooted automatically.

PROMOTED.... at work early

My only misgiving is whether he can turn us from nearly men to champions. I can't help thinking, to use Cardiff City as a metaphor, that we've got Dave Jones and need a Malky Mackay. 

This is pretty much my feelings.  If Pearson stays wel more than likely finish in and around the play offs again but his tactics and style of play will mean we will eventually fall short. People talk about him improving and learning from this experience but I just don't see it.  We still play very similarly to the way we did under him when he was last here.  Hull were the same under him,  I just don't see him changing. Staying on the Cardiff theme I also fear the psychological effect the end of season collapse will have on Pearson and this squad.  Cardiff bottled it for years under Dave Jones and the young Arsenal team that was built around Fabregas did the same. I don't see how the experience will make us stronger in the long run. I wouldn't fancy this team in a high pressure situation next season.

Champions.

Why does it? We have moved forward haven't we. In January it looked like we were going up automatic. We hit a horrible run of confidence and form, that's football isn't it. We didn't even deserve to be in the play offs with those results but somehow managed it. And let's face it, in the end, we were one penalty (kick) away from Wembley/the final.

But what we should do now is what all good teams do. Rebuild. Something Nige is very good at. So that next season, we can push on to win automatic promotion, yeah. And I believe he can lead us over the automatic finish line, with a few more quality players.

I'm not accepting 'mediocrity', I'm just being realistic. First of all, Nige had a tough job rebuilding the poor squad and finances from Sven. Also, look at the strength of the division. If you think we were going to walk it, then you need to do the maths. I looked at teams such as Cardiff, Hull, Blackpool (Holloway was manager then), Palace, Middlesbrough, Forest, Leeds, Brighton etc and realised how tough this season was going to be - I was happy with a play off spot prior to the season starting. Although we did reach first place, my expectations never changed and we got that play off place.

As I said, now we need to rebuild again. We need two full backs, a centre half, a left winger and a striker in my opinion. We need to get rid of players that are not good enough. (It's never easy as that). Pearson is the right man for the club, again that's my opinion, of course. We need stability, not a new manager with fresh ideas, otherwise we will going through this every season untill we are eventually relegated again. It's a good job you arn't an owner that's for sure, the likes of Martin O'Neill and Alex Ferguson would have been sacked years before they ever won anything.

Champions.

And your post summarises everything that's wrong with the fans.

Just because we've got a bit of money and we're a decent sized club, we're apparently entitled to be finishing in the automatic promotion spots and if we finish outside of the top two, it's a failure. Finishing in the Championship playoffs, one game away from promotion to the biggest league in the world, is NOT mediocrity. Finishing mid-table is mediocre. 

I'm sure everyone wanted automatic promotion from this league, I'm sure it's what the owners would like, the players would like, the manager would like and the fans would like. But there's wanting something and getting it. Who else would have wanted or expected automatic promotion this season? Let's take a look:

Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves - all of these would have wanted to be competing for the top two spots at the start of the season.

Cardiff - Finished in the playoffs the season before and spent the most money in the league over the summer, would have wanted automatic promotion.

Hull - hired Steve Bruce and spent money as well, would have wanted to be going for automatic promotion

Blackpool - started the season on fire and would have been aiming for automatic.

Leeds - hired Neil Warnock, a man with serious experience of getting teams promoted. Just recevied big investment and are a massive club for the Championship.

I could go on and on, but I literally can't be bothered. There are many teams gunning for automatic spots and more importantly, there are many teams capable of doing it. Some of us fans are more realistic, we're optimistic that this will be the season, but we're aware that there's no guarentee, regardless of what players or manager you've got, that you'll finish in the top two. There's no 1+1=2 formula like you suggest, there's no easy way of making sure you get promoted. By your logic, Cardiff should have gotten rid of Malky McKay at the end of last season - I'm not saying sticking with a manager gets your team promoted, but sacking one every time he fails has gotten us ****ing nowhere but relegated to League One in the last ten years.

And your post summarises everything that's wrong with the fans.

Just because we've got a bit of money and we're a decent sized club, we're apparently entitled to be finishing in the automatic promotion spots and if we finish outside of the top two, it's a failure. Finishing in the Championship playoffs, one game away from promotion to the biggest league in the world, is NOT mediocrity. Finishing mid-table is mediocre.

I'm sure everyone wanted automatic promotion from this league, I'm sure it's what the owners would like, the players would like, the manager would like and the fans would like. But there's wanting something and getting it. Who else would have wanted or expected automatic promotion this season? Let's take a look:

Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves - all of these would have wanted to be competing for the top two spots at the start of the season.

Cardiff - Finished in the playoffs the season before and spent the most money in the league over the summer, would have wanted automatic promotion.

Hull - hired Steve Bruce and spent money as well, would have wanted to be going for automatic promotion

Blackpool - started the season on fire and would have been aiming for automatic.

Leeds - hired Neil Warnock, a man with serious experience of getting teams promoted. Just recevied big investment and are a massive club for the Championship.

I could go on and on, but I literally can't be bothered. There are many teams gunning for automatic spots and more importantly, there are many teams capable of doing it. Some of us fans are more realistic, we're optimistic that this will be the season, but we're aware that there's no guarentee, regardless of what players or manager you've got, that you'll finish in the top two. There's no 1+1=2 formula like you suggest, there's no easy way of making sure you get promoted. By your logic, Cardiff should have gotten rid of Malky McKay at the end of last season - I'm not saying sticking with a manager gets your team promoted, but sacking one every time he fails has gotten us ****ing nowhere but relegated to League One in the last ten years.

Great post again Rich...

Kinda puts it all into perspective I reckon.

In my mind, Pearson gets his one more year. After this, if we don't go up then I'd make a change and freshen things up again.

It's very rare in modern day football that you get a Fergie. About two full seasons gives a half decent manager a half decent crack at something I think.

If we aren't promoted in the 2013/2014 season then I'd make a change thereafter.

Great post again Rich...

Kinda puts it all into perspective I reckon.

In my mind, Pearson gets his one more year. After this, if we don't go up then I'd make a change and freshen things up again.

It's very rare in modern day football that you get a Fergie. About two full seasons gives a half decent manager a half decent crack at something I think.

If we aren't promoted in the 2013/2014 season then I'd make a change thereafter.

Cheers Col, it just annoys when people claim that if you want to stick with Pearson you're 'accepting mediocrity' like we all don't want the best for our club. This league is such a lottery - at the start of the season everyone was saying that Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton would walk it, and look where they all finished! Who would have thought that Cardiff would win the league? Crystal Palace went from finishing 17th last year to looking nailed on for automatic promotion for most of the season and evern then they managed to **** it up. This league is so unpredictable and people who make out that we should be competing for automatic promotion and then slate anyone who is a bit more realistic and phlegmatic about our chances do my head in. There's more to winning promotion from this league than just 1+1=2... it's a bloody mental division.

As long as we're showing signs of progression - i.e a better league finish than last season and at least making the playoffs, I'm happy for any manager to stay. Because the alternative is getting someone else in, spending a load of money and increasing the chance of our club getting in trouble, and all for the gamble of them maybe improving on what we've already got.

Cheers Col, it just annoys when people claim that if you want to stick with Pearson you're 'accepting mediocrity' like we all don't want the best for our club. This league is such a lottery - at the start of the season everyone was saying that Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton would walk it, and look where they all finished! Who would have thought that Cardiff would win the league? Crystal Palace went from finishing 17th last year to looking nailed on for automatic promotion for most of the season and evern then they managed to **** it up. This league is so unpredictable and people who make out that we should be competing for automatic promotion and then slate anyone who is a bit more realistic and phlegmatic about our chances do my head in. There's more to winning promotion from this league than just 1+1=2... it's a bloody mental division.

As long as we're showing signs of progression - i.e a better league finish than last season and at least making the playoffs, I'm happy for any manager to stay. Because the alternative is getting someone else in, spending a load of money and increasing the chance of our club getting in trouble, and all for the gamble of them maybe improving on what we've already got.

Spot on buddy.

Put it this way... One of my pre-season top three predictions was WOLVES!

Look how fookin wrong I was!!

Never in a million years with a team containing Ebanks, Doyle, Doumbia, Henry, Johnson, Sako did I consider they'd be relegated.

Just imagine how their fans must feel!

He should stay, definitely. I can't see anyone else coming in and getting us promoted in their 1st season, just can't see it. We have got a decent squad that just needs 2 or 3 adding to it, keep the stability rather than chopping and changing. If we do get a new manager and were mid table at Christmas, plenty of fans will want him to go as well! Some fans are so thick to think a quick fix will make us world beaters, short sighted idiots.

As long as we're showing signs of progression - i.e a better league finish than last season and at least making the playoffs, I'm happy for any manager to stay. Because the alternative is getting someone else in, spending a load of money and increasing the chance of our club getting in trouble, and all for the gamble of them maybe improving on what we've already got.

We got 2 more points than last season - thats with a full rebuild, 3 transfer windows and 'his own team' - if we had reached the play offs comfortably with 75 points+ then I would say we had moved forward but 2 points is not forward enough - at this rate it will 2018 before he gets automatic promotion

He should stay, definitely. I can't see anyone else coming in and getting us promoted in their 1st season, just can't see it. We have got a decent squad that just needs 2 or 3 adding to it, keep the stability rather than chopping and changing. If we do get a new manager and were mid table at Christmas, plenty of fans will want him to go as well! Some fans are so thick to think a quick fix will make us world beaters, short sighted idiots.

I love my particular favourite thick and short sighted idiot memory of Martin O Neill

We got 2 more points than last season - thats with a full rebuild, 3 transfer windows and 'his own team' - if we had reached the play offs comfortably with 75 points+ then I would say we had moved forward but 2 points is not forward enough - at this rate it will 2018 before he gets automatic promotion

True..

The 'progression' I see is starting to sort out the many problems he inherited from your beloved Sven.

As I've always said, sorting out Sven's mess was going to take time.

I'm happier with Pearson and his squad than the Charlatan with his squad of mercenaries.

Much happier..

:thumbup:

Comparing points season-on-season isn't much use as we've seen that different points will get you different positions in any given season. What matters to me is that last season we didn't make the playoffs, this season we did and were even in a position to compete for automatic promotion in January. The collapse from then onwards is extremely disappointing, but we still made the playoffs despite this poor form and I remain confident that we would do at least the same next season, which for me is the minimum.

If we had finished outside of the playoffs this season, I wouldn't have had too many arguments if Pearson had been sacked, but he managed to pull it round and for that I think he should stay.

True..

The 'progression' I see is starting to sort out the many problems he inherited from your beloved Sven.

As I've always said, sorting out Sven's mess was going to take time.

I'm happier with Pearson and his squad than the Charlatan with his squad of mercenaries.

Much happier..

:thumbup:

Has he sorted them out though? We still struggle to score, carry a lot of deadwood (Vardy, Futacs, Waghorn - all could have been sold on to raise funds) We still have no midfield general, an old and in and out of form striker as main guy, no central defence pairing now Keane will go (and he was a bit pants) Whitbread, SSL Konch all surplus to requirements now I guess, we will possibly move our keeper on and need a replacement.......why is this better than 2 years ago?

Arguably 2 of our three best players this year were said mercenaries (Kasp and Nuge) and if you took them out of this side I think 68 points would have been a pipe dream.

Sorry but Zola has taken a squad of mercenaries and made our millions spent on Drinkwater, Marshall, Vardy, Wood look like a total waste of dough - 

Has he sorted them out though? We still struggle to score, carry a lot of deadwood (Vardy, Futacs, Waghorn - all could have been sold on to raise funds) We still have no midfield general, an old and in and out of form striker as main guy, no central defence pairing now Keane will go (and he was a bit pants) Whitbread, SSL Konch all surplus to requirements now I guess, we will possibly move our keeper on and need a replacement.......why is this better than 2 years ago?

Arguably 2 of our three best players this year were said mercenaries (Kasp and Nuge) and if you took them out of this side I think 68 points would have been a pipe dream.

Sorry but Zola has taken a squad of mercenaries and made our millions spent on Drinkwater, Marshall, Vardy, Wood look like a total waste of dough -

Of course we have.

Fat Johnno, Balls, Paintsil, Mills, Beckford, Danns..

All proved to be poor signings.

Personally, I think there's far more to come from Drinkwater, Marshall, hopefully even Vardy.. They have youth in their side.

Yes, I'd much rather have this squad than the one Pearson inherited. Although I do agree, more quality is required... Like I've said all season. Especially a commanding, midfield captain.

Of course we have.

Fat Johnno, Balls, Paintsil, Mills, Beckford, Danns..

All proved to be poor signings.

Personally, I think there's far more to come from Drinkwater, Marshall, hopefully even Vardy.. They have youth in their side.

Yes, I'd much rather have this squad than the one Pearson inherited. Although I do agree, more quality is required... Like I've said all season. Especially a commanding, midfield captain.

I agree Col

"Pearson: A Cruel End"....

When I first read that headline, I thought that Big Nigel had suffered a tragic death....that he'd been found dead in an Italian restaurant in Watford, stung to death by a swarm of hornets, or that he'd been found face down in a tureen of French onion soup, having been headbutted to death by a gang of deranged French teachers or French polishers...

Spooky coincidence: Did you know that the single "A Forest" by The Cure was taken from the album "Seventeen Seconds", and that seventeen seconds is about how long it took Knocky to break and score his crucial goal against Forest...and about how long it took Watford to break and score against us after Knocky missed his penalty. The Cure are very popular in France, too. I sense a conspiracy....where's that El Empty / Bonedog character; he's able to advise on such phenomena....

"The whole thing's daft, I don't know why; you have to laugh or else you cry; you have to live or else you die", as the Piranhas correctly pointed out back in 1980. Roll on next season...with 3-4 judicious signings in the meantime.

Archived