Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MikeyT

Pearson: A Cruel End

Those wanting Pearson out seem to have no grasp of history. Short-termism with regards to managers is one of the main reasons we've had 10+ years of mediocrity. We are where we are because we've made 12 managerial changes in 13 years.  

Personally, the few occasions we've had to be proud of this club since the turn of the century have been with him at the helm. Has any manager since O'Neill provoked such emotions as those experienced today; at Forest last week; in the League One season (circumstances helped, but we could easily have done a Leeds/Forest) and on 'that' night in Cardiff? Granted, the pride today and Cardiff derived from failure, but I question whether other managers (Sven/Sousa) would have instilled such an ethic in the team that makes you genuinely proud of their efforts. As Fez alluded to in his thread, we're being provided with great memories, and that's what it's all about. I am convinced that if Pearson stays, the next one will be returning to the promised land. 

There's no denying we stumbled big time and should have done better this season. Our form in the last few months was terrible. On the whole though we have an exciting, young playing staff with a solid core and a clear ability to produce the goods. The majority have had just one season together (some, even less). We've seen them tear teams apart, and I have no doubt they can go all the way next season. With a few additions Pearson can take this team up.

When we missed out on promotion at Cardiff, we sacked Pearson and the subsequent 2 seasons were very average. Give him the chance to bounce back from this setback and I'm sure he'll prove some of you wrong. The owners need to learn from their mistake of sacking him in 2010. Equally, Pearson needs to learn from his mistakes over the last season and fix what went wrong since Feb/March, but nobody will know that more than him.

There's no denying he has his limitations, but his positive attributes clearly outweigh these. Compare the squad to what it was when he took over and he's performed a minor miracle.

The question to those wanting him sacked is who can replace him and guarantee success? Despite all the talk of promotion being essential this season, the squad screams of long-termism. He could have gone down the Sven path to instant success but that didn't work.

All managers have their limitations, and those with the fewest won't be joining Leicester any time soon. The idea of replacing Pearson with the likes of Roy Keane sends a shiver down my spine. Pearson and his staff have built solid foundations, and we should have the sense of mind to let him finish his build. 

I'm as devastated as the next man about today's match, but a trigger happy response won't change the fact we lost and another season in the Championship beckons. I for one am excited to see how we respond, and would be gutted if it was anybody other than Nige leading us into action on the 3rd August. 

Anyone who wants Pearson out should just read the bolded part and GTFO. what a great post.

Good enough for Cardiff last year when MM finished 6th in his first full season.

Oh No.

There's now an example that all the Pearsonites will be quoting in his defence.......

Just like Reading's unbeaten run, or SAF was nearly sacked.

We were one kick away from Wembley and then one game away from the top flight.

Pearson is our best manager since Micky Adams. That is fact, not opinion. In his three seasons here, we have won League One and lost in two play off semi finals. Not bad really, eh?

He's much better than Adams ever was or ever would be. Pearson is the best manager by a mile since O'Neill.

Among all this gobshite about getting rid of him, can someone explain who is his replacement? Mark Hughes, Neil Walnut, Kenny Jackett, Dean Saunders? Who then?

Oh No.

There's now an example that all the Pearsonites will be quoting in his defence.......

Just like Reading's unbeaten run, or SAF was nearly sacked.

It was an answer to your question. Don't ask a stupid question... etc.

Oh yeah, I remember you slating people for bringing up Reading after an awful start... funnily enough we were second in Feb after a good run of form.

I fear he will be retained but it does mean another mediocre season I think. we were poor this season once the others in the division got going and we looked embarrassingly second best for most of today. 

Sometimes I really ask myself why I still take you seriously.

Finishing 6th in the league and being one shot away from Wembley is "mediocre"?

Maybe that white bread is getting to your head. I suggest letting go of the daily dose of baguette for a while.

You used to be better with your wind-up tactics. Is age catching up with you?

This is why i don't understand people wanting to keep him.

We were 6th best in the 2nd division. Since when was that good enough???

Sack him get a better manager.

Thanks for trying hard Nigel, and all the very best, it's nothing personal, you just weren't good enough.

I said we've moved forward, we have. 6th is better than 9th/10th than what we have been for the last two seasons (when Pearson wasn't here).

I'm just not sure how much better you think we can get? The only time we have moved forward in the last 5 (even 10 if you count our relegation from the Prem) years is when Nige has been manager.

Renewed season ticket so looking forward to a season of being a boo boy if Pearson stays

I wont be a Pearson boo boy, after 14 years st holder will not be renewing till he's gone, don't give a flying feck about how cruel it was today the simple fact is we scraped 6th place and lost to a team of misfit loanees in their dump of a ground, his remit was to get us promoted,he's failed and nobody can argue with that fact!

Which ever way you cut the mustard this season has been a failure.

NP said himself the standard that was set was to get promoted - we didn't - he failed

His tactics are hopeless, the subs he makes just baffle everybody

We need somebody who will get us promoted

if it was up to me we would be doing things like Lambert is at villa. building a squad around our academy and other young players who will grow to love the club like walshy and izzet do. 

we could sack nige now and get a mercenary manager who would bring in mercenary players who we will win the league with but I wouldnt be over the moon about that.

I'm just too much of a romantic when it comes to modern football I expect :(  

I wont be a Pearson boo boy, after 14 years st holder will not be renewing till he's gone, don't give a flying feck about how cruel it was today the simple fact is we scraped 6th place and lost to a team of misfit loanees in their dump of a ground, his remit was to get us promoted,he's failed and nobody can argue with that fact!

If, after 14 years of having a ST, you boycott on the basis of NP not being sacked, I think you need your head checking.

Great news. Bye.

Agreement (or close) at last!  Would you keep NP?  Nail your colours to the mast!

A few weeks ago, I was saying get rid.

He appeared to have lost the dressing room and the team were simply dreadful.

I now feel as though that situation has changed because the team performance has improved, they were done by a side that were unethically constructed via a circumvention of the loan system and are a total anomaly. 

With FFP around the corner, we need a manager who is accustomed to shipping out high earners and building a team out of young and hungry players. You need only look at what Pearson did at Hull City after their relegation from the Premiership to know he is capable of that, and look at where they are now built largely on his signings. 

My only misgiving is whether he can turn us from nearly men to champions. I can't help thinking, to use Cardiff City as a metaphor, that we've got Dave Jones and need a Malky Mackay. 

The problem is, who is that man? Neil Lennon attended the game today, for reasons that are unknown. He is untested in English football and would be swapping what is Europe's least competitive league for arguably the most competitive league in Europe. He is however a winner, well acquainted with the club and has some impressive results on his CV. It's certainly questionable he'd leave Celtic though. The SPL may be a poor division and winning it no achievement, but he's guaranteed Champions League football there year after year to test himself as a manager.

Roberto di Matteo would be a hell of an acquisition, but seems to be holding out for a Premiership job. This is a shame as he knows this league, has been promoted from it and encourages good football.

Martin O'Neill would be wonderful for nostalgic reasons, but only with John Robertson. He does tend to like the chequebook as well, not what is needed in times of FFP.

Neil Warnock is unthinkable.

Nailing my colours to the mast? Pearson has earned himself a reprieve, another summer. We need to continue reconstructing the club and shipping out some of the big earners. There aren't too many realistic and decent replacements either.

A few weeks ago, I was saying get rid.

He appeared to have lost the dressing room and the team were simply dreadful.

I now feel as though that situation has changed because the team performance has improved, they were done by a side that were unethically constructed via a circumvention of the loan system and are a total anomaly. 

With FFP around the corner, we need a manager who is accustomed to shipping out high earners and building a team out of young and hungry players. You need only look at what Pearson did at Hull City after their relegation from the Premiership to know he is capable of that, and look at where they are now built largely on his signings. 

My only misgiving is whether he can turn us from nearly men to champions. I can't help thinking, to use Cardiff City as a metaphor, that we've got Dave Jones and need a Malky Mackay. 

The problem is, who is that man? Neil Lennon attended the game today, for reasons that are unknown. He is untested in English football and would be swapping what is Europe's least competitive league for arguably the most competitive league in Europe. He is however a winner, well acquainted with the club and has some impressive results on his CV. It's certainly questionable he'd leave Celtic though. The SPL may be a poor division and winning it no achievement, but he's guaranteed Champions League football there year after year to test himself as a manager.

Roberto di Matteo would be a hell of an acquisition, but seems to be holding out for a Premiership job. This is a shame as he knows this league, has been promoted from it and encourages good football.

Martin O'Neill would be wonderful for nostalgic reasons, but only with John Robertson. He does tend to like the chequebook as well, not what is needed in times of FFP.

Neil Warnock is unthinkable.

Nailing my colours to the mast? Pearson has earned himself a reprieve, another summer. We need to continue reconstructing the club and shipping out some of the big earners. There aren't too many realistic and decent replacements either.

More loosely attaching than nailing your colours to the mast!  You seem to prefer Roberto di Matteo or Martin O'Neill if either were available.  Maybe he'll be here to fight another day - certainly today was one of the most emotional days of my supporting LCFC. 

More loosely attaching than nailing your colours to the mast!  You seem to prefer Roberto di Matteo or Martin O'Neill if either were available.  Maybe he'll be here to fight another day - certainly today was one of the most emotional days of my supporting LCFC. 

RDM is the preferred choice of the two on reflection but unrealistic.

Champions League to Championship seems an unlikely career move. I actually think it's more likely he'd take a job in Serie A.

I'd only take MO'N if he were prepared to accept a modest transfer budget and if John Robertson were in tow.

I can't see him staying unfortunately - will be a shame, he's started the job of tidying up after sven and building a cheap, hungry squad, but more importantly I don't see who we could replace him with - of the names bandied about, only Lennon, O'Neill and Di Matteo get me excited, and none of them would come here.

Still, a decision needs to be made quick - if he's out, get him gone quickly and make sure the new man has a full 2 months before the new season gets going to sort the team he wants out, if not then keep it ticking over. Just not another wait until pre-season is just about to begin and then change like last time, or worse getting halfway through a season and changing.

I hate those bullshit "won't be renewing my ST for the 82nd time" threats, I hate seenitall and any other dickhead with a "I told you so" attitude and I LOVE Leicester City.

People generally only hate 'told you so's' when they are right. Sadly, that is what the minority who knew NP wasn't up to the task of managing the Leicester City that they love too, are.

Dickhead we will let you off with as you are obviously disappointed and have lost the ability to form sensible sentences.

At least we can assume you will renew your season ticket and enjoy another season of somewhere between 66 and 68 points, hoping that the league is so poor it scrapes you a beloved Play Off place so you can be humiliated again by a team that can outplay you over 2 legs, amassing almost four times as many shots and twice the possession.

Top knows he can count on chaps like you- me, I wish you'd bugger off and support someone else so we can stop all this praising of mediocrity

People generally only hate 'told you so's' when they are right. Sadly, that is what the minority who knew NP wasn't up to the task of managing the Leicester City that they love too, are.

Dickhead we will let you off with as you are obviously disappointed and have lost the ability to form sensible sentences.

At least we can assume you will renew your season ticket and enjoy another season of somewhere between 66 and 68 points, hoping that the league is so poor it scrapes you a beloved Play Off place so you can be humiliated again by a team that can outplay you over 2 legs, amassing almost four times as many shots and twice the possession.

Top knows he can count on chaps like you- me, I wish you'd bugger off and support someone else so we can stop all this praising of mediocrity

I hated your posts from the very beginning and I still do, even though you're wrong.

Archived