Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MikeyT

Pearson: A Cruel End

Today i'm kind of hoping he stays but I already suspect that when the dust settles I'll want him out.  

The defence was previously our strong point but in the last third of the season it has become shambolic. Our continued failure to deal with crosses is pathetic. What exactly are they doing in training if it's not working on clear, obvious weaknesses? A better side would have hit us for seven or eight today.

Our central midfield has been overran almost as standard for the entire season yet nothing has been done to address this.

We've had to go back to using Dyer on the wing because no-one else is any good. Knockeart is not half the player he was at he beginning of the season.

Pearson has signed a catalogue of strikers and except for Wood's incredible start (when he was still riding his wave of confidence that he attained at Millwall) they have all been a disaster. I honestly can't see Wood, Vardy, Waghorn or Futacs being capable of scoring five goals between them next season if things carry on as they are.

So I think his sacking if it happens will be perfectly justified, andkeeping him is a risk. There is no evidence that Pearson is capable of turning things around, and a mounting stack of evidence that his teams suffer from deterioration the longer he is in charge.

3 full seasons, one title two top six finishes in which a penalty kick was the deciding factor on progression to the premier league. i wish all the people who come on here saying get rid, would also express an alternative!

stick with him, we have the makings of a very good team here, with a good blend of youth and experience, just feel we need a 'kevin nolan' type of midfielder and we will be a real force next year.

although i think the owners have done terrific things for our club, their initial statement of 'promotion in two years' has raised expectations to a ridiculous level amongst us supporters, and piled on the pressure on the players and management team

so i say stick with the current set up, our time will come. it might be next season, might be not. this is a really hard league to get out of,  im sure there are many fans of 'big' teams in the championship who feel they are the ones for promotion, but there are only three places avaliable with possibly a dozen teams fighting for them. 

be loud n proud and support our team through thick and thin, good times and bad :scarf:

In all fairness I think plenty of people have suggested alternatives (Di Matteo, O'Neill, Keane, Powell etc. - there's not been a shortage of names). There are very strong arguments for and against Pearson leaving and, while I feel the arguments for very slightly outweigh the againsts on the basis of him having failed to deliver on his primary objective, the most important thing is to stay positive.

Had we gone up this year the first team itself would have required at least five additions. Now we have a chance to build for another year and make the transition smoother. I feel a lot depends on the board's financial standpoint, but there's every reason to be hopeful.

As for Knockaert, well he deserves a bit of stick because his error cost us and, to be frank, I thought he was terrible all game. However we mustn't get carried away because he's a player with plenty of potential, it's important we don't villify him because of this. Mind you, I thought we shouldn't have villified Kermorgant either.

In all fairness I think plenty of people have suggested alternatives (Di Matteo, O'Neill, Keane, Powell etc. - there's not been a shortage of names). There are very strong arguments for and against Pearson leaving and, while I feel the arguments for very slightly outweigh the againsts on the basis of him having failed to deliver on his primary objective, the most important thing is to stay positive.

Had we gone up this year the first team itself would have required at least five additions. Now we have a chance to build for another year and make the transition smoother. I feel a lot depends on the board's financial standpoint, but there's every reason to be hopeful.

As for Knockaert, well he deserves a bit of stick because his error cost us and, to be frank, I thought he was terrible all game. However we mustn't get carried away because he's a player with plenty of potential, it's important we don't villify him because of this. Mind you, I thought we shouldn't have villified Kermorgant either.

knocky shouldnt have taken the pen, i agree with your last sentance entirley

The look on his face when someone wasted a free kick was like thunder. He's done a lot of good for this club.

Absolutely. On balance, taking into account both tenures, he's been good for the club. I'm not sure that that alone should guarantee him a third bite at the cherry, but it's important to maintain perspective.

Alternatively a new manager could come in completely destroy what Pearson has done.  I was an advocate of Peter Taylor coming in after O'Neill left and it has taken has 10 years to recover from the damage he managed to do to the side.   Last thing we need is change for change sake.  

I think the change needed would be the system played, and keeping players in the position that they were first brought here for......... Not a right winger on the left, or a midfielder /forward in defence. We don`t have a plan B

They had just as strong a team as us, if not stronger. The previous manager (Parkinson) was a clueless oaf and is the reason they went down and stayed down. Exactly so by that logic we are better than them making NP better than CP? Why does money come into it, Powell signed 23 players in his first season spending a decent amount so to say that he has done well with limited resources is a fallacy. I think he has done a good job, where have I said otherwise. Just to replace a manager who has achieved less in very similar circumstances would be ridiculous.

Sorry i've tried reading this a few times and it still doesn't make sense, are you implying that np is better than cp based on the fact that cp had 15 games with out making any transfers at the start of his tenure?

"Powell signed 23 players in his first season spending a decent amount"  

1st season£ 800.800

2nd season £ 1.108.800 

The Leicester squad had had over £20m of transfer expenditure over the last 2 years

So for Charlton, to be only 3 points behind us on a shoestring budget over 46 games is a massive achievement, going back to your original points, not exactly similar circumstances are they? 

" I think he has done a good job, where have I said otherwise"

"Powell = Took a strong Charlton up and finished mid table, wow!"

for me, it's still a little too fresh to say something either way as honestly, i don't know how i feel as yet. however, i do think that we shouldn't let the fact that we scraped into the playoffs by the skin of our teeth, paper over the cracks of what was an awful last third of the season. yes, the players have to take responsibility for the drop in form. but pearson does as well, as ultimately he is responsible. 

is changing the manager the right thing to do? i'm really not sure. however, pearson is still suspect for me tactically. there is no doubting his passion and desire to succeed and take us forward, and you can see how hurt and distraught he is in that interview. i do think though, that just because we (luckily) made the playoffs, it shouldn't mean that no one is allowed to still question his position. 

They had just as strong a team as us, if not stronger. The previous manager (Parkinson) was a clueless oaf and is the reason they went down and stayed down. Exactly so by that logic we are better than them making NP better than CP? Why does money come into it, Powell signed 23 players in his first season spending a decent amount so to say that he has done well with limited resources is a fallacy. I think he has done a good job, where have I said otherwise. Just to replace a manager who has achieved less in very similar circumstances would be ridiculous.

Sorry i've tried reading this a few times and it still doesn't make sense, are you implying that np is better than cp based on the fact that cp had 15 games with out making any transfers at the start of his tenure?

"Powell signed 23 players in his first season spending a decent amount"  

1st season£ 800.800

2nd season £ 1.108.800 

The Leicester squad had had over £20m of transfer expenditure over the last 2 years

So for Charlton, to be only 3 points behind us on a shoestring budget over 46 games is a massive achievement, going back to your original points, not exactly similar circumstances are they? 

" I think he has done a good job, where have I said otherwise"

"Powell = Took a strong Charlton up and finished mid table, wow!"

No I was stating on your logic that that it doesn't matter about end of season form etc it is where you finish. We have finished 6th, them 9th so who has achieved more? First time round Pearson achieved more (finishing 5th) in almost identical circumstances overachieving on a small budget of young players and loanees.

Of that 20 mil a majority was spent by the previous manager. NP himself has spent a fraction of that and the players he has bought have largely been value for money (except I would argue Vardy) and would be sold at a profit if and when they leave.

Where does my comment indicate he has done a bad job? It clearly implies he has done nothing spectacular in his short management career, and to say he is a better replacement than the current manager despite achieving less in his career is an underwhelming proposition. As a man Chris Powell is fantastic, but I do not see that his credentials are any better than what we currently have and his acheivments echo this.

No I was stating on your logic that that it doesn't matter about end of season form etc it is where you finish. We have finished 6th, them 9th so who has achieved more? First time round Pearson achieved more (finishing 5th) in almost identical circumstances overachieving on a small budget of young players and loanees.

Of that 20 mil a majority was spent by the previous manager. NP himself has spent a fraction of that and the players he has bought have largely been value for money (except I would argue Vardy) and would be sold at a profit if and when they leave.

Where does my comment indicate he has done a bad job? It clearly implies he has done nothing spectacular in his short management career, and to say he is a better replacement than the current manager despite achieving less in his career is an underwhelming proposition. As a man Chris Powell is fantastic, but I do not see that his credentials are any better than what we currently have and his acheivments echo this.

it could be argued that the Championship becomes harder every year with the increasing investment in the relegated clubs from the premier and Championship, as the final points tally of the relegated clubs and play off places would indicate.

So finishing 9th 3 years later cant really be compared with so many variables involved.

Regardless who spent the money, the squad was still at his disposal. Chris Powell has overachieved this season given the small budget and caliber of players in their squad.

To question CP achievements would be to question NP's as there was 3 points difference between the clubs. The defining points would be the the investment Leicester have had one wage bill being one of highest in the division and one being the lowest.

So based on the above who would the neutral supporter suggest has achieved more this season Mr Powel or Mr Pearson...

NP lost the dressing room weeks ago. Should have gone then. LFC has better squad by far than Hull but very badly mismanaged.

Sooner he goes the better.

Yes Liverpool do have a better squad than Hull. You're right

NP lost the dressing room weeks ago. Should have gone then. LFC has better squad by far than Hull but very badly mismanaged.

Sooner he goes the better.

I'm sure Liverpool do

I think you can argue that twice Pearson has been denied a Wembley final by two penalty misses. The only thing his teams lack is pace down the middle and maybe an out & out finisher, some of the misses from Wood & Nugent since February have been unreal. Had those two had maintained any sort of form at all then we might be in a different position.

But I'll ask the same question I've been asking since the whole "Pearson Out" thing started - who is out there that's both available and better qualified to get us up?

No-one ever comes up with a decent answer.

I think you can argue that twice Pearson has been denied a Wembley final by two penalty misses. The only thing his teams lack is pace down the middle and maybe an out & out finisher, some of the misses from Wood & Nugent since February have been unreal. Had those two had maintained any sort of form at all then we might be in a different position.

But I'll ask the same question I've been asking since the whole "Pearson Out" thing started - who is out there that's both available and better qualified to get us up?

No-one ever comes up with a decent answer.

Who knows, would Watford fans have known Zola was available? Managers will change over the summer, we can look abroad. We should have taken McDermott or Adkins when available but we blindly stuck with Pearson hoping for a miracle.

Think he has one a great job all in all. Wage bill has dropped since he came in, value of squad has gone up and average age has gone down. Biggest name he brought in has been Morgan and he got slaughtered for that. Some of the names linked are really scary and some others straight from cloud cuckoo land, surprised we haven't got some going on about Mancini or Benitez.

If we are serious about the future of LCFC, then we MUST keep Pearson at the club.  If we were to bring in a new manager now, he would have to start building a new squad for the new season.  Would it be ready to go on day 1... no chance!  It would take a quarter of the season before it would start to tick, and that could mean that the promotion boat has sailed before it really gets going. 

Then think of the new FFP rules that are coming into play next year.  You cant just go out and buy a whole new squad unless you buy cheap, FACT.  We have the basis of a very strong team that were only beaten in the playoffs by an unfair Italian franchise that Watford sold out to when they brought Zola in. City are strong and the experience of another year will make them stronger.  Clearing out a few fringe players and developing more quality young players for the future will bring rewards and Pearson is VERY good at this.  Do you really think that the young players in the first team would leave the club for less than we paid? No, and that is the result of Nigel Pearson and his team. 

Finally, if we had of gone up this year, do you really think that we could compete in the PL?  No chance!  Another year of experience and learning will make this improving club stronger for the long term, and not to become a yoyo team of years ago again.

Lets just hope the Thais see it this way?  I'm sure they will, they are very intelligent businessmen that want to build for a sustainable future.

/.

An improvement from last season though.

A season is played over 40+ games, and we were the 6th best team.

I hope we keep him.

This is why i don't understand people wanting to keep him.

We were 6th best in the 2nd division. Since when was that good enough???

Sack him get a better manager.

Thanks for trying hard Nigel, and all the very best, it's nothing personal, you just weren't good enough.

Those wanting Pearson out seem to have no grasp of history. Short-termism with regards to managers is one of the main reasons we've had 10+ years of mediocrity. We are where we are because we've made 12 managerial changes in 13 years.  

Personally, the few occasions we've had to be proud of this club since the turn of the century have been with him at the helm. Has any manager since O'Neill provoked such emotions as those experienced today; at Forest last week; in the League One season (circumstances helped, but we could easily have done a Leeds/Forest) and on 'that' night in Cardiff? Granted, the pride today and Cardiff derived from failure, but I question whether other managers (Sven/Sousa) would have instilled such an ethic in the team that makes you genuinely proud of their efforts. As Fez alluded to in his thread, we're being provided with great memories, and that's what it's all about. I am convinced that if Pearson stays, the next one will be returning to the promised land. 

There's no denying we stumbled big time and should have done better this season. Our form in the last few months was terrible. On the whole though we have an exciting, young playing staff with a solid core and a clear ability to produce the goods. The majority have had just one season together (some, even less). We've seen them tear teams apart, and I have no doubt they can go all the way next season. With a few additions Pearson can take this team up.

When we missed out on promotion at Cardiff, we sacked Pearson and the subsequent 2 seasons were very average. Give him the chance to bounce back from this setback and I'm sure he'll prove some of you wrong. The owners need to learn from their mistake of sacking him in 2010. Equally, Pearson needs to learn from his mistakes over the last season and fix what went wrong since Feb/March, but nobody will know that more than him.

There's no denying he has his limitations, but his positive attributes clearly outweigh these. Compare the squad to what it was when he took over and he's performed a minor miracle.

The question to those wanting him sacked is who can replace him and guarantee success? Despite all the talk of promotion being essential this season, the squad screams of long-termism. He could have gone down the Sven path to instant success but that didn't work.

All managers have their limitations, and those with the fewest won't be joining Leicester any time soon. The idea of replacing Pearson with the likes of Roy Keane sends a shiver down my spine. Pearson and his staff have built solid foundations, and we should have the sense of mind to let him finish his build. 

I'm as devastated as the next man about today's match, but a trigger happy response won't change the fact we lost and another season in the Championship beckons. I for one am excited to see how we respond, and would be gutted if it was anybody other than Nige leading us into action on the 3rd August. 

Archived