Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

Why do we play in blue and white?

By late October 1891 Leicester Fosse finally settled at the ground Miss Westland found and it was to become known as Filbert Street. Here the suffix ‘Fosse’ was dropped for the larger appeal of ‘City’ in 1920. The new century has of course seen a new move to the Walker Stadium.

leicestercitytoffs1.jpg?w=150&h=150We do not know whether Miss Westland also played a pivotal role in the choice of the first club colours or not. Blue has always been worn on part of their outfit, but there was no regular pattern. First there was a blue sash on black shirts, followed by chocolate and blue halves. Approaching the turn of the twentieth century, white shirts and blue shorts were tried, as were various combinations of light and dark blue. The famous royal blue version arrived soon after and was there to stay with just one variation in the early Seventies when an all white kit was tried and soon discarded.

Dunno if that helps - but we have always had blue in our team shirt....

We originally played in all black until an over zealous referee took umbrage at a friendly game at Accrington Stanley. Luckily the fourth official also happened to be the husband of Ethel Ramsbottom the kit lady at local rivals AFC Rochdale. The rest as they say is history....

Always played in blue in my experience ,since my first game in 1958,other than the all white season in the early seventies.

Kids are great,always asking why?

I believe our shirts have been blue for most of 20thC.

Fossils & Foxes probably has the answer.

Always played in blue in my experience ,since my first game in 1958,other than the all white season in the early seventies.

Kids are great,always asking why?

I believe our shirts have been blue for most of 20thC.

Fossils & Foxes probably has the answer.

I'm 24 and I asked the question ;)

Just one off those where you wonder why.

Might be something to do with the price of dye/a surplus of it in the local area.

Knowing why would be good though.

Does seem a bit strange especially as tigers and the cricket team play in green.

The cricket team have played in red in the 40 over competition and black in the t20 for as long as I can remember now so I don't think there's any one dominant colour in the city. I will grant you that they used to play in green. However they played in red and yellow at one point too.

More to the point, blue is fine. Be thankful we don't support Bradford, Hull, Wolves or perish the thought, Cov. Now those are all crap colours.

Everytime I change one of those florescent light bulbs I have to pretend it is a light sabre. My son, on the other hand is the one who pretends a stick is a light sabre when he walks the dog. Must be a genetic thing. Like father, like son.

Archived