Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Good News thread, local jobs, economy etc

There isn't one, that's my I'm asking.

My cousin works with this sort of thing and he's confirmed to me no one should be homeless, all they have to do is go to the CAB or any relevant local body and it will be sorted and they will be found some temp accom before being re-housed providing they sign in and agree to the terms.

A lot of them want to be on the street for some warped reason. I've had a couple of mates in the past come out of prison with nothing and they got housedno problem.

STATUTORY HOMELESSNESS

'Statutory homelessness’, is where local authorities have defined a household as homeless within the terms of the homelessness legislation. Where they are found to be in priority need and not intentionally homeless then local authorities will have a duty to offer accommodation.  This can include families with dependent children, pregnant women and adults who are assessed as vulnerable.

NON-STATUTORY HOMELESSNESS

‘Non-statutory’ (sometimes inaccurately called ‘single’) homelessness is either where households or individuals are not found to be eligible, do not fall within the definition of priority need or who are deemed to be ‘intentionally’ homeless or have not gone through the legal application for housing.

Individuals and families who fall outside of the definition of statutory homelessness include:

single people and couples who have no dependent children and do not fall into the statutory definition of vulnerable
families with older children who are no longer dependent.
Many people living on the street, in hostels and other forms of temporary accommodation will fall into the category of non-statutory homeless. Consequently, many agencies in the voluntary sector tend to support those who are non statutory or single homeless. However, the division between the two groups is becoming increasingly blurred.

The authorities only have a duty to house those classed as  "Statutory Homeless".

So can you not see that  anyone  just filling in a form will not be rushed off to spend the night at the Ritz ?
Edited by Zingari

That's not the explanation I've received on it but I have to check the full facts.

From things I've read if you are single and haven't been booted out or continually made a nuisance of yourself you will be always be put into the Stautory category. The Non Stat is supposedly for people who are just beyond help and just need to be put down for their own good as well as everybody elses.

Edited by MattP

That's not the explanation I've received on it but I have to check the full facts.

From things I've read if you are single and haven't been booted out or continually made a nuisance of yourself you will be always be put into the Stautory category. The Non Stat is supposedly for people who are just beyond help and just need to be put down for their own good as well as everybody elses.

Probably so , even if I wouldn't use those exact terms  :D

The point I'm trying to make is that there isn't a cast iron guarantee that just turning up and saying the right stuff will get you a comfy bed ad infinitum .

The authorities have quite a lot of wriggle room to say if you are eligible or not and it all seems a very arbitrary process to me , because i fail to see how other than a very few lunatics would  purposefully make themselves homeless .

In the words of the wise old man " it's not all black and white"  :D  :thumbup:

Edited by Zingari

Probably so , even if I wouldn't use those exact terms  :D

The point I'm trying to make is that there isn't a cast iron guarantee that just turning up and saying the right stuff will get you a comfy bed ad infinitum .

The authorities have quite a lot of wriggle room to say if you are eligible or not and it all seems a very arbitrary process to me , because i fail to see how other than a very few lunatics would  purposefully make themselves homeless .

In the words of the wise old man " it's not all black and white"  :D  :thumbup:

I really like you :D

I've taken this excerpt from an official report by the homeless charity Crisis:

"Marcia has

lived in numerous private rented bedsits,

council and housing association flats, and

supported housing projects but always

leaves them, handing back the keys,

when her mental health issues intensify.

She is now reluctant to accept any

accommodation because she recognises

her pattern of behaviour and fears the

cycle will continue. Three months prior

to her interview she refused an offer of

accommodation explaining that “ I knew

what would happen…I thought ‘I don’t

want it’ …only because I know the pattern,

I was trying to avoid the patternâ€.

Apologies for the crap formatting I just can't be bothered to fix it.

But I mean what are you supposed to do with that? I appreciate she is mentally ill but if she is flat out refusing to accept perfectly reasonable offers for free accommodation and is instead putting herself at risk by choosing to sleep rough then surely you only have two options - one leave her be, or two have her sectioned?

Edited by MooseBreath

I've taken this excerpt from an official report by the homeless charity Crisis:

"Marcia has

lived in numerous private rented bedsits,

council and housing association flats, and

supported housing projects but always

leaves them, handing back the keys,

when her mental health issues intensify.

She is now reluctant to accept any

accommodation because she recognises

her pattern of behaviour and fears the

cycle will continue. Three months prior

to her interview she refused an offer of

accommodation explaining that “ I knew

what would happen…I thought ‘I don’t

want it’ …only because I know the pattern,

I was trying to avoid the patternâ€.

Apologies for the crap formatting I just can't be bothered to fix it.

But I mean what are you supposed to do with that? I appreciate she is mentally ill but if she is flat out refusing to accept perfectly reasonable offers for free accommodation and is instead putting herself at risk by choosing to sleep rough then surely you only have two options - one leave her be, or two have her sectioned?

I wouldn't just "leave someone be", it's difficult to know exactly what the solution would be because "mental health issues" could be a number of different conditions.

I wouldn't just "leave someone be", it's difficult to know exactly what the solution would be because "mental health issues" could be a number of different conditions.

Well for me the solution is simple. Either you force her into a mental health institution and try and sort her out, or you don't. Either way I don't see the benefit in these homeless charities and Rincewind constantly bombarding us with their evangelical propaganda in an attempt to guilt trip us into giving them more money or at least "raise awareness"? What difference will it make if these homeless people don't want to be helped? Either get out in vans, round the homeless up and forcefully sort them out or just leave them be. Either way pissing around on grunge dildo fm 2pm - 4pm isn't making the slightest bit of difference and seems to me like a case of these charities purposely avoiding a solution as a means of survival.

I wonder how much money those at the top of this game are making out of doing nothing to help the homeless. Ken?

Edited by MooseBreath

More good news on the 'robust recovery': Sales and lending rise as new firms create jobs

• Number of private businesses in UK soared to nearly five million
  • Soaring sales at Argos and Homebase bolstered hopes of growing recovery
  • Bank of England warned recovery 'might be less well balanced' than hoped

Britain is enjoying a ‘robust recovery’ more than five years after the financial crisis struck, the Bank of England said yesterday.

Stronger-than-expected growth means unemployment is falling faster than anticipated as private companies hire new staff to keep up with demand, it said.

The bullish comments came amid a wave of economic good news as figures showed the number of private businesses now trading in Britain has soared to a record of nearly five million.

article-2474653-167AD6E7000005DC-755_634

Figures showed the number of private businesses now trading in Britain has soared to nearly five million

A separate report showed a 40 per cent jump in mortgage lending to its highest level since 2009, and business lending on the rise after years of decline.

Booming car production and soaring sales at Argos, Homebase, Sports Direct and online fashion retailer Asos bolstered hopes that the recovery is picking up pace.

But the Bank warned that the recovery ‘might be less well balanced’ than hoped as exports remain muted and growth is driven by the housing market and debt-fuelled spending.

Official figures published tomorrow are expected to show the economy growing at its fastest rate since the general election in May 2010.

It is thought that gross domestic product rose by 0.8 per cent between July and September.

It will give George Osborne the chance to repeat his claim that ‘Britain is turning a corner’.

article-2474653-00810964000004B0-266_634

Soaring sales at Homebase, Sports Direct and Argos bolstered hopes that the recovery is picking up pace

article-2474653-04F1F98600000514-448_634

The Bank of England also warned the recovery 'might be less well balanced' than hoped as exports remain muted

A source close to the Chancellor said: ‘The economy is doing well but we still have a huge deficit and the job is very far from done.’

A separate report by the Department for Business showed that a record 4.9million private companies are now trading in Britain – 102,000 more than a year ago and 447,000 more than in 2010.

Rosana Mirkovic of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants said: ‘It is good news that the UK is becoming fertile ground for new, small businesses.

‘However, survival and growth of those small businesses is essential for these figures to really count towards the UK’s recovery.’

A sharp increase in bank lending fuelled hopes that the outlook for business is improving.

A report by the British Bankers’ Association showed net lending to firms rose by £2.5billion in September, the biggest increase since January 2009.

The economy is booming. Jobs for anyone who wants one. Lots of people starting up businesses to fulfil all the demand. Meanwhile the feckless are having to take food back to the foodbank because they can't afford to heat it up lol. Just how it should be. Brilliant.

Edited by MooseBreath

Great news again.Talk of 'austerity is wrong' and dopes wandering around with 'stop the cuts' banners have been made to look laughable as we boom and our friends across the pond are on lockdown and seeing more people on the streets than ever.

Miliband is now throwing around Gas prices and 'cost of living' as his book words, fcuk knows what he'll do if Call me Dave and Gideon sort that out. Anti-Fracking?

Let's have more good news as well. As Moose had said before, you'll be amazed what people find when you stop giving them free money.

One in 10 people stripped of the £15-a-week payout in what critics call the "bedroom tax" have come off benefits altogether, according to new figures.

http://news.sky.com/story/1157481/bedroom-tax-pushes-claimants-off-benefits

Bank of England warned recovery 'might be less well balanced' than hoped

"Growth is driven by the housing market and debt-fuelled spending'.

Borrowing up and spending up, that will be an unsustainable recovery then?

Official unemployment is down to a mere two million and we are looking at economic growth on a par with Spain's

hoo fooking ray!!!

Bank of England warned recovery 'might be less well balanced' than hoped

"Growth is driven by the housing market and debt-fuelled spending'.

Borrowing up and spending up, that will be an unsustainable recovery then?

Also, as the article notes, exports are stagnant, with no sign of rapid growth in demand in the US, EU or Far East - and, of course, public spending faces a long-term squeeze...

So, the recovery relies on British consumers buying extra goods and services by continuing to increase their borrowing. Who else is there to buy those extra goods and services?

All this at a time when real incomes are falling (a trend that doesn't look like changing in the near future). Doesn't exactly sound like a recipe for sustainable growth to me...

Edited by Sir Alf Bentley
  • Like 2

Also, as the article notes, exports are stagnant, with no sign of rapid growth in demand in the US, EU or Far East - and, of course, public spending faces a long-term squeeze...

So, the recovery relies on British consumers buying extra goods and services by continuing to increase their borrowing. Who else is there to buy those extra goods and services?

All this at a time when real incomes are falling (a trend that doesn't look like changing in the near future). Doesn't exactly sound like a recipe for sustainable growth to me...

Real incomes may be falling, but all these new businesses aren't just people quitting jobs or coming off benefits. Like me and the missus, they are extra income jobs. I have a full time job, a small business and I do the odd job on the side too. Along with taking as much overtime as possible and being mistakenly overpaid at work lol, I am smoking. Long may it continue.

Real incomes may be falling, but all these new businesses aren't just people quitting jobs or coming off benefits. Like me and the missus, they are extra income jobs. I have a full time job, a small business and I do the odd job on the side too. Along with taking as much overtime as possible and being mistakenly overpaid at work lol, I am smoking. Long may it continue.

I'm in a similar position.

The Job market has really picked up now, even more so in finance so I'm sending a few CV's out. Wages seem to be back to what I expect to earn for what qualifications I've got and I can run my business on the side.

If Alf's right then so be it and we'll soon find out but everything looks very positive at the minute.

I'm in a similar position.

The Job market has really picked up now, even more so in finance so I'm sending a few CV's out. Wages seem to be back to what I expect to earn for what qualifications I've got and I can run my business on the side.

If Alf's right then so be it and we'll soon find out but everything looks very positive at the minute.

They might be right, eventually if you wait long enough they certainly will be.

I bought my house this time last year, so I'm hoping the house prices will boom. I made nothing out of the last boom because I was too busy getting wasted, I wont make the same mistake again.

To sum up my feeling on the economics of the country, it is becoming fairer. 'You get out what you put in' seemed like a pipe dream not so long ago, the balance seems to be shifting that way.

Its the Mail but it'll do. They have actually build some as stop gap homes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2450762/Shipping-containers-rented-London-homes.html

Are we so incapable of making our own containers that we have to buy them in from China?

Yes maybe they could create jobs for those out of work so they can build their own.

Build them big and with loads of rooms, that's a ton of bedroom tax to fill my bank account in the Cayman Islands.

Edited by MattP

Its the Mail but it'll do. They have actually build some as stop gap homes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2450762/Shipping-containers-rented-London-homes.html

Not much smaller then my flat!

There's already something similar in this country that they use as a temporary hotel for events etc...

http://www.mysnoozebox.com/home/index.html#welcome