Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Good News thread, local jobs, economy etc

lol

Ostrich-man-head-in-sand.gif

Webbo, I have read tons of the wind-up Tory bollox on here and elsewhere. Keep calm and maintain that line. Resolute to the end!  lol

You want me to watch 2 hours of programming that I've got no interest in just so I can argue with you?

The facts are Labour fvcked the economy and you're still trying to blame Mrs Thatcher. That is laughable.

Well given that the whole thing started in the US, i doubt that.

It only started in the US when you blame Gordon Brown, was completely our nation and own leader's fault when a Tory was in charge.

Edited by MattP

Well given that the whole thing started in the US, i doubt that.

Seriously? The economic ethos was indeed developed in the States. Chicago in fact. However, Thatcher couldn't frig herself off enough about taking this and running with it. I'm am in no way saying the Labour party didn't take the baton and throw it away. They made it worse. But to say the Tories had nothing to do with the financial crisis is not only naive, but seriously short-sighted.

I hate going into this thread expecting good news then remembering it's the Nasty Party propaganda thread.

You know a government is doing a good job though when the argument against them has resorted to people saying 'ohhh stop being nasty' instead of criticising policy.

That's pretty sad if you are actually being serous isn't it? Really sad.

Yes I'm being serous. Webbo has actually made me laugh out loud tonight. He's being ludicrous, and he's attempts to fawn me off, with 'I'm not bothered', I'm not going to watch a programme, as it's clearly non-factual, as some economist whom he can't remember on the radio told him to think that way. Even you can laugh at that! It's that attitude that's the saddest thing Matt, really sad. :(

Seriously? The economic ethos was indeed developed in the States. Chicago in fact. However, Thatcher couldn't frig herself off enough about taking this and running with it. I'm am in no way saying the Labour party didn't take the baton and throw it away. They made it worse. But to say the Tories had nothing to do with the financial crisis is not only naive, but seriously short-sighted.

The extent to which you can blame Thatcher for failing to forsee a crash that was to occur some two decades after she was in power, during which time other prime ministers, other BoE chairmen, other governments and the market itself would all change beyond recognition, is certainly debatable. It's like blaming Frank Mclintock for the performances of Dennis Wise in a city shirt. You could infact trace the genesis of the crash back to the year dot if you were so inclined.

What we know for sure is that Thatcher's changes to financial sector regulation helped to create vast amounts of wealth for this country from which we've all benefitted tremendously.

Labour took up the baton and as Gordon Brown has himself admitted, made numerous mistakes, all of which had they been avoided could have helped us avoid the worst of the crash. They were in charge when it happened, you can't get any more responsible than that. If Thatcher was supposed to see it coming more than 20 years off then how did Labour not see it until it had already happened?

The extent to which you can blame Thatcher for failing to forsee a crash that was to occur some two decades after she was in power, during which time other prime ministers, other BoE chairmen, other governments and the market itself would all change beyond recognition, is certainly debatable. It's like blaming Frank Mclintock for the performances of Dennis Wise in a city shirt. You could infact trace the genesis of the crash back to the year dot if you were so inclined.

What we know for sure is that Thatcher's changes to financial sector regulation helped to create vast amounts of wealth for this country from which we've all benefitted tremendously.

Labour took up the baton and as Gordon Brown has himself admitted, made numerous mistakes, all of which had they been avoided could have helped us avoid the worst of the crash. They were in charge when it happened, you can't get any more responsible than that. If Thatcher was supposed to see it coming more than 20 years off then how did Labour not see it until it had already happened?

I have never stated that Thatcher and her government should have foreseen a global crash 20 years in the future have I? And your analogy is bollox. What she did and her government was create a financial sector that did what it pleased, and was encouraged to do so. Sure there was prosperity, and some got a great deal out it, but if you remember what the documentary was actually about, then you realise that a very small percentage of individuals did EXTREMELY well from this, and continue to do so, through despicable practices, and downright thievery, yet even though the ****ed the economy in the Nineties, and then in the Noughties, they still get away with it.

Sure Labour could have and should have done something about it, they didn't and should rightly be held accountable too, but it was far too late, the financial sector is such a behemouth, because of previous governments lax attitudes that whomever was in power during the global crash was fooked. Don't pretend the Tories had nothing to do with it, you're not very good at pretending to be stupid.

• Like 1

Yes I'm being serous. Webbo has actually made me laugh out loud tonight. He's being ludicrous, and he's attempts to fawn me off, with 'I'm not bothered', I'm not going to watch a programme, as it's clearly non-factual, as some economist whom he can't remember on the radio told him to think that way. Even you can laugh at that! It's that attitude that's the saddest thing Matt, really sad. :(

I can guarantee 98% of this forum hasn't watched that show and has no interest in doing so. If I did watch it I wouldn't agree with it so whats the point? If you find that funny then you're easily amused.

I have never stated that Thatcher and her government should have foreseen a global crash 20 years in the future have I? And your analogy is bollox. What she did and her government was create a financial sector that did what it pleased, and was encouraged to do so. Sure there was prosperity, and some got a great deal out it, but if you remember what the documentary was actually about, then you realise that a very small percentage of individuals did EXTREMELY well from this, and continue to do so, through despicable practices, and downright thievery, yet even though the ****ed the economy in the Nineties, and then in the Noughties, they still get away with it.

Sure Labour could have and should have done something about it, they didn't and should rightly be held accountable too, but it was far too late, the financial sector is such a behemouth, because of previous governments lax attitudes that whomever was in power during the global crash was fooked. Don't pretend the Tories had nothing to do with it, you're not very good at pretending to be stupid.

The Tories had less to do with it than did the government who failed, for ten years, to spot the risks of sub prime lending. What the tories did was facilitate the creation of an economic powerhouse, London, from which not just a few benefit, but the whole country. The Tories can take some of the blame, as can the inventor of mortgages, the inventor of debt, the inventor of money, the inventor of houses and so on. Labour were in charge when subprime lending began in earnest, they were still in charge when it went bust. They take most of the blame.

• Like 2

I can guarantee 98% of this forum hasn't watched that show and has no interest in doing so. If I did watch it I wouldn't agree with it so whats the point? If you find that funny then you're easily amused.

Is that fact? Well perhaps they should, they might learn something or two. I'm glad that even if you watched you wouldn't agree with a thing in it. That sort of sums you up Webbo. That's what amuses me. It's the simple things.  :thumbup:

Is that fact? Well perhaps they should, they might learn something or two. I'm glad that even if you watched you wouldn't agree with a thing in it. That sort of sums you up Webbo. That's what amuses me. It's the simple things.  :thumbup:

I'm glad I amuse you. Having read your blog you'll never know what that feels like.

If the situation can't be solved by a scrabble rack welcoming you to your own new home (does that even work?) then I don't want to know.

10931128_684268651693143_131597619148432

Talk about shameless self-promotion... :P

Good luck with your new venture.

Have a watch of this. Probably a documentary that should be shown in schools to teach them where it went tits up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04yn2yq/the-superrich-and-us-episode-2

Right, having been shamed into watching this by spherical's razor sharp wit.Seriously? Half truths and specious arguments.