Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Good News thread, local jobs, economy etc

Still you had to use those kind of numbers otherwise your example doesn't work. Any less of an increase and it benefits the person using the scheme. You'd still need that level of increase regardless of the numbers of people and houses involved. I would have thought the question "will this scheme result in price increases which negate the benefits" would have been an important consideration when they designed the scheme. The government obviously decided it won't and so it is proving so far. If we do see a sudden explosion in prices then they'll have to admit they got it wrong.

I don't get how my example would not work with lower figures. It would simply yield lower increases.

I would have thought the question "will this scheme result in price increases which negate the benefits" would have been an important consideration when they designed the scheme. The government obviously decided it won't and so it is proving so far. If we do see a sudden explosion in prices then they'll have to admit they got it wrong.

House price rises please the electorate regardless of whether they are good for the country or their advertised purpose. They give people the feeling that they are growing in wealth even though statistically only a fraction of houses are traded each year and the person is unlikely to gain anything tangible.

I don't get how my example would not work with lower figures. It would simply yield lower increases.

House price rises please the electorate regardless of whether they are good for the country or their advertised purpose. They give people the feeling that they are growing in wealth even though statistically only a fraction of houses are traded each year and the person is unlikely to gain anything tangible.

It won't work with a lower percentage increase. House prices will have to go up by that amount for your example to become reality.

Don't disagree with the 2nd part. Still I wouldn't expect the government would get much out of the type of extreme explosion in house prices you're talking about.

But I suppose you could be right. The whole thing could well be a vindictive and elaborate ploy to trick the population into the unthinkable state of feeling a little bit more comfortable with their finances.

Not good news but relevant to the current debate.

Almost 400,000 Planned homes remaining unbuilt, say local councils

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23790071

Certainly not good for first time buyers and council tenants needing to downsize because of the recent charges brought in. It is good news though for those that can afford a second or third house when more and more start to lose their homes and are evicted.

From Citizens. Eye page

By elihanmedia2013

August 22, 2013

Action Catering is launched and open for business

Action Catering is a social business, managed by Action Homeless, offering a fantastic new catering service with a difference. The Action Catering team are urging local businesses and organisations to take a look at what they can offer and support them in supporting others.

With over 17 years’ experience in the industry, the Action Catering team are committed to providing a professional and competitively priced service. With a range of different buffet options to choose from, Action Catering can help to make your meeting, conference or event one to remember. By placing an order with Action Catering, customers will not only benefit from the delicious, homemade food that they deliver, but will also be giving something back to the local community.

Action Catering offers training and employment opportunities to socially excluded people in Leicester enabling them to build more positive futures. They provide voluntary work placements and paid employment opportunities to ex-offenders and people with experience of homelessness. Action Homeless also run Action Clean, a business that operates on the same model and offers professional cleaning services to organisations in the Leicester area.

Rachael Remington, Manager at Action Catering, said ‘We’re really excited to be offering this new service to customers in Leicester. We’ve got some fantastic people on board who are really committed to turning their lives around and take an enormous amount of pride in their work. We can always guarantee a professional service that is sure to impress your guests and delegates.’

Rob Parkinson, Chief Executive of Action Homeless said ‘Action Catering is another way that we are creating training opportunities and jobs for people with experience of homelessness. Sustained employment remains the key to many of our clients achieving and maintaining independent living. As we continue to develop the work of our Action Catering and Action Clean enterprises we hope that we can offer more homeless people chances for change.’

Action Catering offer buffet menus to suit a variety of budgets and events. They can also provide tailored catering services for special events and celebration cakes that really make a statement. For more information please visit http://www.actionhomeless.org.uk or call us on 0116 2211851.

Edited by Rincewind

Britain's on the right track, says Osborne after figures show economy is growing faster than previously thought
  • Output rose 0.7 per cent between April and June
  • Better than 0.6 per cent rise initially reported and double the 0.3 seen in the first three months of the year
  • Economy 'firing on all cylinders' says economists

By Hugo Duncan Economics Correspondent

George Osborne last night declared that Britain ‘is on the right track’ after figures showed the economy is growing faster than previously thought.

Output rose by 0.7 per cent between April and June, according to the Office for National Statistics.

This is better than the 0.6 per cent  initially reported and more than double the 0.3 per cent seen in the first three months of the year.

Economists said the UK is finally  ‘firing on all cylinders’ five years after a debt-fuelled boom turned to bust. But they warned that the improving outlook could force the Bank of England to raise interest rates sooner than planned as unemployment falls.

article-0-0409A8B100000514-881_634x425.j

Finally something to smile about: Chancellor George Osborne says Britain is on the 'right track'

Rates have been held at a record low of 0.5 per cent since March  2009 and it is feared an early  hike will push 30,000 borrowers struggling with their mortgages to the wall.

Bank of England governor Mark Carney this month pledged not to raise rates until unemployment falls from the current level of 7.8 per cent to 7 per cent or lower – something he does not expect until the end of 2016.

But City analysts said the spurt in the economy could mean rates rise far sooner than that.
James Knightley, from ING,  said: ‘The first Bank of England rate hike is more likely to come  in early 2015.’ Chris Williamson,  of research company Markit, said: ‘The Bank of England is facing a growing challenge of how to convince the markets and households that interest rates will not need to rise over the next three years.’

The figures were welcomed by the Chancellor who has declared that Britain ‘is moving from rescue to recovery’.

article-0-1B6EDC00000005DC-925_634x363.j

Oxford Street spending could top £5bn in a year for the first time the 300 shops have seen a 6.2 per cent rise in sales in the first half of the year

A Treasury spokesman said: ‘There is still a long way to go, but the economy is on the right  track and the Government is  committed to its economic plan that has already cut the deficit by a third and enabled the private  sector to create over 1.3million  new jobs.’

The ONS report showed that growth was driven by all areas of the economy with manufacturing and exports up strongly.

Rob Wood, UK economist at Berenberg Bank, said he expects growth to pick up to 0.8 per cent in the third quarter of the year as troubles ease in the eurozone and record low interest rates bolster confidence in Britain.

He now expects interest rates to rise at the end of 2015.

Richard Sexton, at online surveyors e.surv, warned: There are a block of 30,000 or so borrowers in severe mortgage arrears who have been teetering on the brink of having their homes repossessed.

‘If rates rise, repossessions are likely to rise significantly.’ 

As long as those that shop in Selfridges and Harrods are better off we can all cheer and shout Hip hip Hurray what a jolly time we are having in Britain.

Richard Sexton, at online surveyors e.surv, warned: There are a block of 30,000 or so borrowers in severe mortgage arrears who have been teetering on the brink of having their homes repossessed.

‘If rates rise, repossessions are likely to rise significantly.’

Someone somewhere (in his view) will be making loads of money out of it. Those who take the risk, shouldn't be entitled to any potential reward.

Share it out amongst the great unwashed!

Damn right. Those who do should be punished. Those who don't deserve to be rewarded. People who work hard should be forced to work harder for less, so those who do fvck all can steal more and more.

Damn right. Those who do should be punished. Those who don't deserve to be rewarded. People who work hard should be forced to work harder for less, so those who do fvck all can steal more and more.

Its not what I meant, but I prefer to have my words twisted by someone with a brain than agreed with by idiots.

LET THEM EAT CAKE! or something.

Yet again, you assume hard work = rewards. In the 'real world' (as many on the right seem intent on putting it) it's simply not the case. Not all the time anyway, and probably not most of the time.

Its not what I meant, but I prefer to have my words twisted by someone with a brain than agreed with by idiots.

LET THEM EAT CAKE! or something.

Agree that risk takers should be rewarded for their success if successful - it's their money they put on the line after all - but (as the flip side/balance to that) also punished for failure, which doesn't happen at the higher levels.

Edited by leicsmac

Someone somewhere (in his view) will be making loads of money out of it. Those who take the risk, shouldn't be entitled to any potential reward.

Share it out amongst the great unwashed!

I have no problem people making money, it is those that take the money out of the country costing us millions and the Government says I know lets get it off the lowest paid workers. If we say they are all shirkers and on JSA we will get the backing of those just above them if they believe it is coming out of their taxes.

The ones on minimum wages are the hardest workers there are. It is apparent by the many on here that do 12 hour plus shifts to get enough money to live on sometimes doing 60 hours a week which is above the legal hours for many industries.

I have no problem people making money, it is those that take the money out of the country costing us millions and the Government says I know lets get it off the lowest paid workers. If we say they are all shirkers and on JSA we will get the backing of those just above them if they believe it is coming out of their taxes.

The ones on minimum wages are the hardest workers there are. It is apparent by the many on here that do 12 hour plus shifts to get enough money to live on sometimes doing 60 hours a week which is above the legal hours for many industries.

"and the Government says I know lets get it off the lowest paid workers" - when did the Government say that? What's your source? Seriously, I don't mind if its a completely partisan source but when did the 'GOVERNMENT' actually say that? I'd even accept a source which states somebody within the cabinet or within 'GOVERNMENT' said that?

Let's be honest, they didn't did they?

Compare a successful businessman and somebody who doesn't work, who really, genuinely do you think has the higher tax burden? You really think the lower paid person? And that tax is going towards what? Buying rich people caviar? Or putting people just like themselves in housing, in food, in fags and booze?

To go back to the businessman, the business owner, he is creating wealth, creating jobs, paying tax himself through NI contributions to his staff, through business rates, through corporation tax, through personal tax, through the products he and his business buys....

Why don't you design a little society with no risk takers, no entrepreneurs, no hard workers, no-self improvers, no rich people and no big corporations..... nice isn't it...for a month or two... till the shops run out of stock, the country runs out of money etc....

Just get real.

• Like 1

"and the Government says I know lets get it off the lowest paid workers" - when did the Government say that? What's your source? Seriously, I don't mind if its a completely partisan source but when did the 'GOVERNMENT' actually say that? I'd even accept a source which states somebody within the cabinet or within 'GOVERNMENT' said that?

Let's be honest, they didn't did they?

Compare a successful businessman and somebody who doesn't work, who really, genuinely do you think has the higher tax burden? You really think the lower paid person? And that tax is going towards what? Buying rich people caviar? Or putting people just like themselves in housing, in food, in fags and booze?

To go back to the businessman, the business owner, he is creating wealth, creating jobs, paying tax himself through NI contributions to his staff, through business rates, through corporation tax, through personal tax, through the products he and his business buys....

Why don't you design a little society with no risk takers, no entrepreneurs, no hard workers, no-self improvers, no rich people and no big corporations..... nice isn't it...for a month or two... till the shops run out of stock, the country runs out of money etc....

Just get real.

Sounds superb, and if it worked that way it'd be great.

But if we're 'getting real'...big corporations go out of their way through varying legislation to not pay or pay a nominal amount of tax, as I'm sure you're aware. And any mid-level business capable of hiring a decent accountant is in all likelihood doing the same. So I'm guessing the tax burden from these businesses is somewhat less than you might think.

And as for creating wealth...I'm sure it's being done. So where is it going?

What you describe is an idealised view of capitalism that is the way it should work, but rarely does in practice.

Edited by leicsmac

Sounds superb, and if it worked that way it'd be great.

But if we're 'getting real'...big corporations go out of their way through varying legislation to not pay or pay a nominal amount of tax, as I'm sure you're aware. And any mid-level business capable of hiring a decent accountant is in all likelihood doing the same. So I'm guessing the tax burden from these businesses is somewhat less than you might think.

And as for creating wealth...I'm sure it's being done. So where is it going?

So where is it going?

The budget document 2013 is available for public consumption I believe.

I'm doing quite well actually , but anyone that genuinely believes that harder work = greater rewards , and those that are on higher pay actually earn it , are fookin deluded.
:thumbup:

Ideally there would be a perfect meritocracy.

Those well paid jobs are there for anyone to apply for. If you don't match up to the selection criteria then who is to blame for that?

Another 'poor me' ?

I'm not agreeing with those sentiments. Just saying there is a myth going around that the unemployed take all the benefit money and live a life of Riley which is a load of bollards. The majority of those on benefits are low paid workers sometimes doing more than one job to pay the bills and mortgage.

Obviously the govt would mot have said those exact words. Yes businessmen do generate money for the good but When I see head of big corporations making cock ups that could affect consumers bills and workers jobs then given a leaving bonus I cannot defend them

I'm not agreeing with those sentiments. Just saying there is a myth going around that the unemployed take all the benefit money and live a life of Riley which is a load of bollards. The majority of those on benefits are low paid workers sometimes doing more than one job to pay the bills and mortgage.

Obviously the govt would mot have said those exact words. Yes businessmen do generate money for the good but When I see head of big corporations making cock ups that could affect consumers bills and workers jobs then given a leaving bonus I cannot defend them

I'm not saying they live the life of riley and I've not once seen anyone else claim that either. Again can you show me someone saying they live a life of riley?

Or is this a bit like your previous statement of attributing a quote to the 'government' and then ignoring my request for a source? Unless you know the government personally of course, in which case was it said informally? At a DnO meeting perhaps?

The point I'm making Ken is that you point the finger at the workers as if workers (many of whom are also struggling) should pay more tax so that those who do not work can have a better life. Surely those on benefits should appreciate what they are getting and be grateful to the taxpayers who effectively provide it?

But I do understand its easier to blame faceless Mr Suit than to face up to one's own failings. 

Edited by The People's Hero
  • Like 1

Ideally there would be a perfect meritocracy.

Those well paid jobs are there for anyone to apply for. If you don't match up to the selection criteria then who is to blame for that?

Another 'poor me' ?

i've just said i'm doing ok 

Look , surely even you must realise that it's not a simple as you're trying to make it out to be . 
hard work = more money , more valuable the worker = higher pay ...........oh i can't be fookin bothered 

ok,  life is just as you see it in stark black and white  :thumbup:

i've just said i'm doing ok 

Look , surely even you must realise that it's not a simple as you're trying to make it out to be . 
hard work = more money , more valuable the worker = higher pay ...........oh i can't be fookin bothered 

ok,  life is just as you see it in stark black and white  :thumbup:

Of course its not that simple, there is a whole economy here which is subject to various pressures, largely free market but subject also to various internal and external pressures and controls. The labour market is just part of something much larger. If you want to debate this properly, then lets do it. If you want to hide behind an empty post pretending I see things in 'black and white' then fair enough, but I can assure you that I do not.

I'm glad you're doing fine, by the way. Its nothing personal, but please don't pretend I'm naive here.