Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Moto Hello

3-5-2

Well I doubt any game of football will see a team maintaining a static 352 formation surely the concept is to be more 334 when you're all out attacking more 532 when you're under the cosh defending and only 352 when you're building up an attack/cruising. The whole idea should be to be flexible. You should even be able to slip into a 442 or 433 if the need arises.

What we need apart from the skills is intelligent players.

My worry is simple, NFP has, so far, shown no ability to improve his creative players, Vardey, Marshall, Drinkwater, Wood, Waghorn have all gone backwards since they have been with us and, arguably, Schlupp only improved due to his spell at United.

We showed in the early stages of last season that we could play intelligent, modern, attacking football but having gone top of the league we slowly reverted to type, why?

We need to decide how we are going to play and start doing it, but under NFP I can not see it being particularly positive.

It's good to see Pearson trying something different, and I like 3 5 2 I think it will give us more width and we will more expansive and cause the opposition more problems when were attacking. Hope he starts with it at Middlesborough.

It doesn't necessarily give you more width, .... I used to play LWB for quite a few seasons at a fair level, I personally like the formation but you can struggle for width if you come up against an intelligent winger, or team who really does there homework in restricting the wingback from getting forward

My worry is simple, NFP has, so far, shown no ability to improve his creative players, Vardey, Marshall, Drinkwater, Wood, Waghorn have all gone backwards since they have been with us and, arguably, Schlupp only improved due to his spell at United.

We showed in the early stages of last season that we could play intelligent, modern, attacking football but having gone top of the league we slowly reverted to type, why?

We need to decide how we are going to play and start doing it, but under NFP I can not see it being particularly positive.

It is about flexibility. Trouble with Pearson is that he has never demonstrated he even knows how to spell the word. He organised a system last summer 4-4-2 to accomodate Dyer and play both Knocky and Marshall wide - what a dimbo - Dyer is average to middling at best and Knocky and Marshall are best used roaming, including through the middle of the park. ( Probably why Marshall seemed disinterested last season ).

Pearson was totally incapable of changing when we needed to in February.

3-5-2 suits the players we have, or more like a 3-4-1-2 with Knocky or Marshall tucked in behind Wood and Nugent. That is how we should have played in the second half of last season.

Konch could play either wing back or left side in a back three, I'd like to see Jeff used more up front. We may have enough on the left side. Drinky comes back into the reckoning with this formation and King could even play 'in the hole' as well.

Probably need a new centre back and midfield player.

Biggest worry is, will Pearson have other plans or can he only organise one system during pre-season?

My query is that why would Pearson play a 3-5-2 in all of the pre-season matches, so players are then used to it, only to revert back to a 4-4-2 at the start of the season?

Hopefully he sticks with it and recruits a new CB. Other than that I think we could suffice with the squad we have, if not maybe a few loans.

id love to see us use this   

---------------------------------------------------------kasper---------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------ledger-----------------------morgan-------------moore--------------------------------------

-----------------------------------james------------------------king---------------------------------------------------

------------de laet-------------------------------------------------------------zoom

----------------------------------------knockeart-------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------nugent-------------------------------wood-------------------------------------------------

I remember many times last season when some of here moaned about Pearson only using one system, the 4-4-2.

This 3-5-2 formation proposal is ideal, but it can make the left and right sided defenders vulnerable if they go up the field too much.

I'm still not so sure on this formation yet. I mean, it's so dated, are any clubs still playing this formation?

And a rigid 4-4-2 isn’t out-dated?

I was at the Vale match last night and as well as a few good performances, the formation used was the biggest positive for me. In De Laet and now Bakayogo we have the type of wing backs to pull this off. Knockaert and/or Marshall can then play through the middle which is where they are both more effective. When we have the ball, the wingbacks push up to form a 5 man midfield which will give us more options and stop us being overwhelmed in the midfield.

In Wes and Moore we also have some fairly pacey centre backs who can get to the sidelines which this formation also requires.

I’m sure everyone will agree that the rigid 442 is now horrifically out-dated as last season showed on several occasions.

WYS

And a rigid 4-4-2 isn’t out-dated?

I was at the Vale match last night and as well as a few good performances, the formation used was the biggest positive for me. In De Laet and now Bakayogo we have the type of wing backs to pull this off. Knockaert and/or Marshall can then play through the middle which is where they are both more effective. When we have the ball, the wingbacks push up to form a 5 man midfield which will give us more options and stop us being overwhelmed in the midfield.

In Wes and Moore we also have some fairly pacey centre backs who can get to the sidelines which this formation also requires.

I’m sure everyone will agree that the rigid 442 is now horrifically out-dated as last season showed on several occasions.

WYS

I'm not a particular fan of 442, but let's be reasonable.

Cardiff played more games in a 442 formation than we did and they won the league.

I'm not a particular fan of 442, but let's be reasonable.

Cardiff played more games in a 442 formation than we did and they won the league.

And? Chelsea won the Champions League playing 4-2-3-1, doesn't mean we should, it's the formation which suits the players WE have. 

And? Chelsea won the Champions League playing 4-2-3-1, doesn't mean we should, it's the formation which suits the players WE have.

That was pretty much my point. I was simply pointing out that 442 is not as "horrifically outdated" as he said that's all.

Nor is a 3-5-2 in any way dated, especially as it suits the players we have.

I'm not saying it is. I think there's been some crossed wires here :(

For what its worth I'm happy to see any formation that gets the best out of our players on a consistent basis. I'm not sure why anyone would argue otherwise.

I'm not saying it is. I think there's been some crossed wires here :(

For what its worth I'm happy to see any formation that gets the best out of our players on a consistent basis. I'm not sure why anyone would argue otherwise.

Yep crossed wires, FoxesFan123 did. Wonder what he thinks is the best formation for our players? 

Might take is a while to properly adapt to 3-5-2 and be successful at Championship level - we might take a couple of beatings before we start to understand / look comfortable playing it. It'll be interesting to see if the fans are still happy with 3-5-2 if we lose 2 of our first 3 games for example.

I think NP is right to try it though. We need another CB definitely but otherwise we have the personnel for it.

Good post and I agree..

I think Whitbread would be the weak link at centre back.

Gally seems to be getting good reviews from his game at RB. I know it's only pre season vs York but, if we're unable to bring others in, possible cover for RWB in this system?

Apart from De Laet I see no other players currently that could play RWB

Liam Moore

My only worry with 3-5-2 is it makes it harder to give Knockaert, Marshall, Dyer as many games. The wings last year were our most dangerous aspects with RDL and Knocky down the right, but with 3-5-2 we won't be able to play that combo and feel we may miss out a bit.

But that's easily adaptable if we play a certain team selection. For instance if konchesky played lcb and schlupp or dyer LWB then RDL can go to right back, with dyer/schlupp going on left wing and knocky on right. With obviously konchesky moving across to left back. Might be a bit odd first few times, but could be affective if teams look suspect at full back etc.

http://www.footballcourier.com/news/story/2381862/plan-b-is-proving-a-big-hit-with-the-leicester-city-squad/full_story.html

Plan B Is Proving A Big Hit With The Leicester City Squad
Nigel Pearson said his players have enjoyed their new 3-5-2 formation during pre-season, and he hinted he may adopt the approach when the season kicks off in a week's time.

City have played with three centre-backs and two wing-backs in the friendlies at Leamington and Port Vale, and the performance at Vale was their most impressive to date.

1. ​5105583.jpg

Leicester City's Chris Wood and York City's Craig Clay

• •
  •  
  • •

One criticism levered at City last season by some supporters was that they did not have a Plan B when things were not going for them in games, and Pearson admits it has given him food for thought.

"The players are comfortable with it," he said.

"It suits our centre-backs and the wing-backs get forward on lots of occasions.

"It gives us an extra man in midfield and means we can play with two up top.

"It is a decent system if you execute it properly.

"The big problem if you play that system is who deals with the opposition's full-backs if they play a 4-4-2.

"Our players quite enjoy it and it gives us a different option. All in all, we will hopefully go into the season with another option."

Goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel said the formation, which was effective for both Watford and Hull last season, creates the illusion of having more players on the pitch.

"The system has been working well," he said. "The three big lads are also good footballers, so it is an exciting system to try out and it gives us a different dimension. It is good to have an extra option.

"It is something that other teams will have to take into consideration when they play us.

"If that system is played right, it is very good. We saw Watford have a lot of success with it last season. Hull did as well.

"If we can play it right then it is effective. It gives an overload situation in so many areas of the pitch.

"If it is not done properly then it is counterproductive, but if we can get that right, it is another string to the bow.

Archived