Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zingari

Most Feared Striking Partnerships

What  pair of opposition forwards used to (or still do)  scare you the most when we played against them .

I think in my time the pairings that filled me with most dread when we faced them on matchdays were Mariner and Whymark  ( Ipswich) and Gary Shaw and Peter Withe (Villa)

edit;Just to clarify 

I guess what I'm really asking is which partnerships seemed much greater as a pair than their constituent parts rather than just 2 big names on the teamsheet  :)

Does anyone think there is some  formula or logic in these special partnerships , or is it just luck that sometimes two individuals hit it off as a pair . 

I remember thinking when Lineker and Beardley got together for England that it wouldn't work , it looked completely wrong on paper  , 

How wrong was I ? :D

Does anyone think there is some formula or logic in these special partnerships , or is it just luck that sometimes two individuals hit it off as a pair .

I remember thinking when Lineker and Beardley got together for England that it wouldn't work , it looked completely wrong on paper ,

How wrong was I ? :D

Just natural connection I think. Andy Cole and Teddy Sherringham hated each other but played brilliant together

Fowler and Owen. During their early years they were unstoppable. Especially Fowler. I recall him scoring 4 at Filbert St, after Akinbadbiyi had opened the scoring that day. If memory serves me rightly.

I remember thinking he was absolutely class.

Bothroyd and Chopra for Cardiff.

lol

Guest seanfox778

Fowler and Owen. During their early years they were unstoppable. Especially Fowler. I recall him scoring 4 at Filbert St, after Akinbadbiyi had opened the scoring that day. If memory serves me rightly.

I remember thinking he was absolutely class.

lol

He got a hat trick but Sami Hyypia also scored, we lost 4-1, Akinbyi was horrendous that day haha

Just natural connection I think. Andy Cole and Teddy Sherringham hated each other but played brilliant together

So you don't think a good manager/coach can try to pick a special partnership using data or some sophisticated method   ?

It just happens and there's no real reasoning ?

So you don't think a good manager/coach can try to pick a special partnership using data or some sophisticated method ?

It just happens and there's no real reasoning ?

Yes of course they can, I don't think it's one set thing but a mixture of a lots of different factors

Bull & Mutch

Johnson & Gabbiabini

Collymore & Angell

Collymore & Angel ripped us a new one, they were immense.

My recollection of that night was they were just about the most formidable forward line we've ever faced, although we won 4-1 lol

Archived