Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_lad_92

So back to 4-4-2 anybody ?

Another ridiculous post.

It's NOT all about effort and ability. If it was, there'd be little need for management.

Players at this level are all pretty much of a muchness. Ability wise, there's not much to differentiate our players with those of Birmingham, Ipswich etc etc.

What differentiates the success from the failure is how they are managed and developed.

We saw this beautifully with Sven who demonstrated that money does not always equal success.

Man-management, getting the right players in the right formations, being able to tactically outbeat the opposition manager is of course, hugely important.

I agree. If it was purely about effort and ability you could just chuck 11 players on the pitch and they would perform.

People who completely dismiss tactics and formations need to think again.

Tactical positioning, knowing who to mark, nullifying certain threats through formation or a well thought plan and setting up in a certain way for certain matches are key to creating a successful team. Exactly what a manager does/is employed for

Despite conceding twice yesterday in the first half, we looked much better in a 3-5-2 than the 4-3-3 or whatever shit formation we played in the second half.

The defence was good, and I liked how they were given time to push up and pick out passes, that's what I like most about defenders, and it was nice to see Whitbread, Morgan and St Ledger use it. James played really well, and Vardy & Wood was far more dangerous, than Waghorn being isolated on his own. 

3-5-2 all day long.

We seemed to look better in 442 yesterday. Everyone seems to love 352 but I'm not one of those, especially if Konchesky plays left wing back which he won't be able to play for 90 minutes. Meh.

How you can say looked better playing 442 when the only time we caused them real danger was in the first 15 minutes playing 352 is odd.

Yesterday was about getting some practice in with both formations. I really hope that Pearson has identified Konchesky as a weak link in a 352. It's a shame we didn't give Bakayogo a go as LWB.

I think it has potential but you can't expect to master a new system straight away.

Yesterday was about getting some practice in with both formations. I really hope that Pearson has identified Konchesky as a weak link in a 352. It's a shame we didn't give Bakayogo a go as LWB.

I think it has potential but you can't expect to master a new system straight away.

Deffo agree there:) all about practice and fitness, hopefully if we do go 3-5-2 it'll prevail on Saturday!! Can't wait :D

Good point dan, although at times knockeart coming inside from the right and roaming did work tbf, remember when we used 4-4-2 but with Oakley on the right he was never an out an out winger but still worked that year:)

Knockaert can play right midfield, but as effectively as attacking mid.

Oakley was like a defensive winger. It did work but I think we're far more advanced in terms of personnel now than to have to go down that route again.

We seemed to look better in 442 yesterday. Everyone seems to love 352 but I'm not one of those, especially if Konchesky plays left wing back which he won't be able to play for 90 minutes. Meh.

We must've seen a different game. We looked truly hopeless with 4-4-2.

It's NOT all about effort and ability. If it was, there'd be little need for management.

Players at this level are all pretty much of a muchness. Ability wise, there's not much to differentiate our players with those of Birmingham, Ipswich etc etc.

What differentiates the success from the failure is how they are managed and developed.

Man-management, getting the right players in the right formations, being able to tactically outbeat the opposition manager is of course, hugely important.

He's definitely exaggerated by saying it's all about ability/effort, tactics are important but I've no doubt that the quality of players are the biggest factor in determining the outcome of a match. I'd also strongly disagree that players in this division are of similar quality, if that was the case then you wouldn't need to be concerned about signings as it'd be mostly about what the manager could get out of them. Yet everyone realises how important the transfer window is - because the players you have matter, they matter a lot.

I do agree with you in part - it isn't all about player ability - but you seem to have taken it to the other extreme by suggesting that it's almost all about management. It isn't.

442 in the second half against Monaco is difficult to gauge just how good we are, having had Marshall and Schlupp up top. I do feel playing 442 can be a bit square pegs in round holes as it pigeon hole Knockaert into a more defensive game out wide.

I think one of the reasons we were so successful at the start of last system was because of how balanced we were in 442. Knockaert was basically given the free role to roam from the left side, with De Laet looking to overlap. This left the 2 centres and Marshall on the right to consolidate into a 3, probably a contributing factor to Marshall's relatively quiet season.

During the rut it just seemed to be knock it long to Wood and hope for the best. 

The 4-4-2 worked against most sides at home last season, but more concerningly we need a decent away set up, because we were shocking away from home last season.

3-5-2 looked good on Saturday, and with a full strength side out, and not playing a class side like Monaco, it could prove successful, as it looks like creating plenty of width and chances against lesser opponents obviously.

Each opponent will need the right formation against them obviously, but play to our strengths at home 4-4-2 and mix it with 3-5-2 if needed, but away will 3-5-2 work?

Archived