Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Donut

Modern Football

Lots of negatives within the thread as predicted

But yet, theres something that keeps everyone coming back despite their negative feelings.

Are we equating football with something like smoking? a hopeless addiction we cant stop and gain nothing from yet will continue to do?

I don't go down much these days. I don't go to many football matches either. I think as you get older you just want to progress in your career, go to the pub or play xbox and get sucked off and that's it

My sentiments exactly. In that order too

Work

Xbox

Pub

Blowy

My love for football has probably halved in the last decade. When some players moan that 150k a week isn't enough is what really pisses me off. The premier league I could barely give a toss about now, super sunday used to be watched religiously by myself but I struggle to watch a whole game now. Its the same with internationals.

Lcfc are the only thing that can ruin or make my weekends now judging by a result. I love the banter before a game in the pubs, at half time etc and the away days are special even in some of the country's biggest dossholes.

Lots of negatives within the thread as predicted

But yet, theres something that keeps everyone coming back despite their negative feelings.

Are we equating football with something like smoking? a hopeless addiction we cant stop and gain nothing from yet will continue to do?

Football won't kill you (atleast it shouldn't?!)

My sentiments exactly. In that order too

Work

Xbox

Pub

Blowy

Depends what you mean by Blowy.

Seen in the paper, some guy got his cock stuck in his vacuum cleaner, that would of been blowy.

Wasn't you was it?

People in here have clearly got too wrapped up in the game. It's just football, enjoy the sport, don't get wrapped up in the bullshit.

This would be my sentiments.

And to be honest, how many people are we really talking about when were talking about ''big money'' footballers? in the context of the UK and world population, its hardly anyone, and lets face it plenty other people get paid a lot for various things that we dont think twice about.

There are many things wrong with modern football as have been listed above. Mostly they're off the field beaureucratic problems.

But on the pitch it's still the game I fell in love with 20 years ago. You can't beat the drama of live football (or sport on the whole for that matter) and the unknown of what will happen next. The passion and camaraderie in the stands, the fact it's you, your team and your fans against the rest, the joy of your team winning and the despair of defeat, the buzz of Saturday 3pm. Moments like Izzet vs Spurs, Howard vs Leeds, Knockaert vs Forest all still give me a smile now and the memories they evoke. On the flip side, the Deeney goal against us or Roy Essondoh. Even more generally, thinks like Aguero vs QPR. Where else could you get emotions like that conjured up? Watching them just as a neutral you know what those fans are feeling and how much of a high they're on. That's what football does to people and you know because you've felt just as they did.

I've tried to describe there why I love football and what football means to me. Yes there's problems and yes we all love a good moan about FIFA, FA etc. but for me, it's still the Beautiful Game.

The crux of the issue is the amount players are paid.

You only have to look at club expenditure to see where it all goes, and many clubs are left charging 45 quid for a cheap Chinese sweat shop shiny gold shirt like our mob. 

The players are overpaid and get their balls licked so many times a week they start to believe they really are the dogs bollocks; Thus along comes the arrogance, lack of sense of humour and general bad behavior.

Having said that it's the current climate, so what else can a club do that wants to be successful?

Along comes FFP like some knight in shining armour but when it finally arrives it's actually a tramp on a donkey smelling of piss. Like someone said in the media earlier, Abramovich voted in favour of FFP as he could pull up the ladder behind him and stop other clubs from finding wealthy investors to challenge the likes of Chelsea.

The big will remain big and the rest under this system are by and large ****ed.

There are many things wrong with modern football as have been listed above. Mostly they're off the field beaureucratic problems.

But on the pitch it's still the game I fell in love with 20 years ago. You can't beat the drama of live football (or sport on the whole for that matter) and the unknown of what will happen next. The passion and camaraderie in the stands, the fact it's you, your team and your fans against the rest, the joy of your team winning and the despair of defeat, the buzz of Saturday 3pm. Moments like Izzet vs Spurs, Howard vs Leeds, Knockaert vs Forest all still give me a smile now and the memories they evoke. On the flip side, the Deeney goal against us or Roy Essondoh. Even more generally, thinks like Aguero vs QPR. Where else could you get emotions like that conjured up? Watching them just as a neutral you know what those fans are feeling and how much of a high they're on. That's what football does to people and you know because you've felt just as they did.

I've tried to describe there why I love football and what football means to me. Yes there's problems and yes we all love a good moan about FIFA, FA etc. but for me, it's still the Beautiful Game.

unfortunately for those of us that  go back a bit further it definitely is not.

sky money, bosman, and the reduction (almost removal) of contact and stupid changes to offside so there's more goals has made the game almost unbearable to watch for me now.

players that fall over with  slightest of touches.

referees too stupid to see they're being played.

fifa corrupt to it's core, uefa not much better.

sky telling us the prem is 'the best  league in the world' © ® â„¢

and don't get me started on the champions league.

Well, I have now got a season ticket to watch the Tigers.

The modern game has sunk out of sight to the game I watched in the sixties and seventies. It is so boring, that I have now given up on it, although I will continue to support City, and watch them when I can.

People always look back with rose tinted spectacles and think things used to be so much better. I can tell you for a fact standing in a piss trodden stadium, watching a bunch of blokes who smoke and drank and were about as fit as the common 20 year old chase a ball round a mud bath pitch was not all that great. The only thing I miss is the aggro.

Well, I have now got a season ticket to watch the Tigers.

The modern game has sunk out of sight to the game I watched in the sixties and seventies. It is so boring, that I have now given up on it, although I will continue to support City, and watch them when I can.

RUGBY?????

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

I am also someone who remembers fondly many aspects of the 60's and 70's, but there as also a lot of nostalgic rubbish that is spouted about the past.

Yes I would love a better atmosphere, but do I miss the racism, awful grounds, intimidating Neanderthals ?

Some aspects of the modern game are clearly better, some are worse.

But, there is no way I would swap football for a game played by people who simply can't play football and so chose an inferior game.

My boss took me to a tigers game a couple of years ago trying to convert me. At one point the ball appeared to be stuck in the corner if the pitch under a heap of players. After about 15mins I turned to my boss and asked whats going on? He said it happens sometimes and appeared as bored as everyone else. When the ref blew for something I would ask what's that for ? Offside would be the reply every time. I soon realised he and many others hadn't got a clue as to why the decisions were made.

Rugby?? You're having a laugh.

Its not modern football that's shit its modern life,pubs,films people walking round glued to there Iphones.I could go on,but im boring myself.

Arrogance is the biggest problem for me.

Football now is, off the pitch, empty rhetoric. It is, mainly, utterly meaningless. That said, it's still a beautiful game and if I played for leicester I'd kiss the badge win, lose or draw.

Archived