Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Donut

Modern Football

I do NOT want to start big arguments here

I just want to start a topic to say why do people watch football, considering barely anyone ever has anything positive to say about the game on here, and rarely anything positive to say about the team they are supposed to support.

Footballers must be some of the most maligned people on the planet, and every topic surrounding the game from FFP to ticketing prices to atmospheres to safe standing to whatever you want always just ends up in a frustrated jibe at how soulless the game has become.

So i want to ask why people bother.

People moan about footballers because they are jealous. Everyone wishes they could play football for a living and make a fortune off it and because they can't footballers are easy targets. That's the only reason. 9/10 people tar all players with the same brush when actually most are good people with a few arrogant bad eggs thrown in there, but that's the same in any job.

Guest MattP

People moan about footballers because they are jealous. Everyone wishes they could play football for a living and make a fortune off it and because they can't footballers are easy targets. That's the only reason. 9/10 people tar all players with the same brush when actually most are good people with a few arrogant bad eggs thrown in there, but that's the same in any job.

I'd take cricketer, tennis player, golfer, musician, CEO, company owner and loads more dream jobs more before being a footballer.

I love football, yeah. I like following Leicester and attending games. But the ticket prices are a rip off and I think there should be a solution. A forum like this is a great place, I like it, where people share different opinions. I know a lot of people moan and whether I agree or disagree with it, people are still entitled to it.

People do moan a lot about footballers wages. It isn't the footballers fault though is it? I mean, if someone puts £200k a week in front of me, then I'm going to sign the contract. 

As a football fan, I admire the players that make the game easy, the great players regardless of who they play for. From Cruyff to Zidane.

I go for the atmosphere, the drink, the banter, the singing, the taunting the opposition fans, the away days with the lads and that magical moment my team score a goal.

You really can't beat those last minute goals against Forest, or the winner at Wembley to take you to the premier league.

That said, if I couldn't stand and was made to sit each match I wouldn't go.

Guest MattP

I think this sums up everything wrong with "modern football"

Doncaster have signed One Direction's Louis Tomlinson. The most bizarre transfer of the summer.

Guest MattP

It's for charity, nothing wrong with it.

If that cnut gets a run out at the Walkers on the last day I'll be fuming.

Modern football...

Positives:

It's all over the tele.... If you have SKY you can watch Footy to your heart's content.

The players are incredibly fit

The game is quick and can be exciting

Negatives:

Some may argue that SKY etc has ruined the game (games being moved etc)

The players are paid too much money. For an 18 yr old to be a millionaire from football is ridiculous.

I think that Health and Safety and 'family friendly' have had a negative impact on atmosphere at games

There is no 'loyalty' anymore.. The players are out for what they can get, wherever they can get it

The expense... God knows how a family of four, for instance, can afford season tickets

They are the main ones I can think of. Of course their are many many more.

HOWEVER, love of the badge remains.... Feeling that you belong to something which is 'in your blood'... That can never be taken away.

I go for the atmosphere, the drink, the banter, the singing, the taunting the opposition fans, the away days with the lads and that magical moment my team score a goal.

You really can't beat those last minute goals against Forest, or the winner at Wembley to take you to the premier league.

That said, if I couldn't stand and was made to sit each match I wouldn't go.

This. There is nothing better to do with mates than go to away games.

Are they? Muzzy Izzet earned a fortune from our club, do you see people slagging him off or jealousy?

I resent the fact that clubs pay extortionate wages to players that just aren't worth it, risking the future of the club by gambling, then the players hold too much power when clubs try to move them on.

I suppose people still go for the social aspect and the hope that you might achieve something, however big or small, to remember.

couldn't give two shíts about football in general, don't remember the last game I watched, couldn't name more than 2 or 3 of most premier league teams starting 11. I just support leicester city, if they're not involved I have almost zero interest. it's an abomination of the bastardised society we live in, the kind of brilliant society in which a racist footballer bites someone and still earns the equivalent yearly wage of 150 nurses. what a yawnfest.

I'm starting to fall out of love with this beautiful game of late.

I don't know where or when it started. Perhaps 2010 I started to lose an interest.

I still love lcfc and have fond memories. Go to the odd game now and then but I used to be a sth and 10-15 aways per season between 2004-2010 but then I'm not sure.

Don't get me wrong when I am watching them I am still passionate and will sing as much as the next die hard but the whole "modern football" era is making me turn.

Players earning 200k per week. Players moving club near on every year. Kissing the badge one week and handing in a transfer request the next. Gareth Bale being worth (supposedly) £103million! When he's really not all that... Wayne Rooney .... John Terry ..... The list could go on.

They used to say its a funny old game but for me now it's just a sad old game

Positives are that you can go to a game without having to paddle in everybody's piss or worry about some twunt from Millwall lobbing a paving slap at your head. The standard of play has improved immensely as well.

The negatives far outweigh the positives though. Greedy footballers, greedy clubs, the sanitisation of atmospheres, all-seater stadia, £62 tickets, heavy handed stewarding and insanity inducing movement of kick-off times to suit Rupert Murdoch's viewing figures.

Archived