Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stockyfox

Being a fan is.........

What tripe - especially in Manchester where there biggest team is supported by people all over the world. I define being a fan as someone who feels gutted and pissed off if your team loses and elated if they win......

It's great if you can watch every game - should we ever get promoted then that is exactly what I will do - but to say you can't be a fan if you listen to the radio or watch streams is self righteous twaddle - lots of 'fans' go to games and leave early, disappear at 40 mins to buy a pie and don't go to away games - are they not fans?

I once did a whole season home and away - cost a bomb and I nearly got squashed to death at Upton park when we bottled it against Charlton - can I be a real fan yet please?

I can be negative and positive about being a Leicester fan. Some fans though do seem to just moan and groan too much and take things out of context. But there still fans who want the team to win, so like everybody else their entitled to their opinion. We all want the same thing Leicester to be successful and get promotion.

I have no real interest in the whole fan debate.

How ever i have to say the whole i can't afford really doesn't wash.

If you want you can afford. Monthly payments. Interest free. It really couldn't be any easier nowdays.

It's great if you can watch every game - should we ever get promoted then that is exactly what I will do - but to say you can't be a fan if you listen to the radio or watch streams is self righteous twaddle - lots of 'fans' go to games and leave early, disappear at 40 mins to buy a pie and don't go to away games - are they not fans?

There's a couple of season ticket holders near me who do this. They get a pie on 40 minutes so miss the last 5 minutes of the first half, then leave 5 minutes before the end. I've worked out that by doing this, they miss approximately two and a half home matches over the course of a season.

I don't really have a point with this, it just baffles me.

There's a couple of season ticket holders near me who do this. They get a pie on 40 minutes so miss the last 5 minutes of the first half, then leave 5 minutes before the end. I've worked out that by doing this, they miss approximately two and a half home matches over the course of a season.

I don't really have a point with this, it just baffles me.

To be fair how shite the service is at half time, if you want a drink or a pie, and don't go 5 min before half time you probably won't get served in time to get back before the second half, well on the bigger attended games anyway.

And the 5 min for the end is so they don't get stuck on the stairs as its a nightmare getting out.

I leave 5 min early but that is due issues with mobility, but always watch it on the screens in the concourse, and there are many many others doing the same, don't make them bad supporters, just don't want to get caught in the stampede

'Being a fan is about supporting your team.

Week in, week out. Keeping the faith.

Believing this time you're going to win'

This simple but absolutely spot-on quote is to be found at the entrance to the National Football Museum in Manchester.

As I read it, I put it in the context of our own fans - our regular Season Ticket Holders, our magnificent Away support - and then I thought of those who contribute to the message boards - not just FoxesTalk but the several others.

And to my mind, although that's where many of our true fans wear their heart on their sleeve, it's also where the moaners and groaners like to have their say ( and although I wouldn't dream of denying them that for one moment), for  them to describe themselves as 'fans' is to me,  a misnomer. They are 'observers' who would prefer to dwell on the downsides - they are certainly not 'fans'.

The National Football Museum is quite superb and if you ever get to Manchester (as you undoubtedly will when we get promoted next year), it is well worth a visit but be warned, you could be there all day. Admission is free but they do suggest a donation of £4.

http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/AdrianFohr/clips/advertising-and-the-rationality-assumption-1

For me it's living 150 miles away from Leicester my whole life but still adoring the club because my dad raised me supporting them. I live in Hampshire and I travel 300 miles in a day to go to every single home game. I must be the only season ticket holder in Hampshire but I don't care!

I have no real interest in the whole fan debate.

How ever i have to say the whole i can't afford really doesn't wash.

If you want you can afford. Monthly payments. Interest free. It really couldn't be any easier nowdays.

What a load of shite. I live in London and I've got rent, bills, pension, mortgage savings, travel card, phone bill to pay for. If I got a season ticket on top of that and travelled to every home game, I wouldn't be able to afford to eat.

My old man is in his fifties and works 12 hour shifts every day to pay the bills and make sure he's got enough for when him and my mum are retired.

You don't know anything about anyone's financial situation, so don't come here saying that 'anyone can afford a ticket it they want it' - yes, the direct debits make it more affordable than before, but the majority of people who'd like but don't have a season ticket have other financial commitments and to dismiss them as not wanting it enough is bizarre and insulting.

How are people who moan and groan any less of a fan than someone who is blindly optimistic? Theres two sides of the coin. Me personally, I try to look on the brightside of life, so I always go into a Leicester game feeling optimistic but everyone deserves a say, whether positive or negative.

I've also not renewed my season ticket for 2013/14 season due to being p*ssed off with the fixtures moving for sky, I will now pick the games I can attend and will do as many away games as I can. I still see myself as "true fan" though.

I think it's more the people here who are overwhelmingly negative during or after every game no matter how we're doing in the context of the season, or how things went during the match, refusing to acknowledge any positives whatsoever. For example the reaction from one or two when we drew at home to Oldham in League One was astounding for a team top of the league and unbeaten since October.

indierich has it spot on. It's obscene to suggest anyone can afford it if they want it. I would love to go to every match but if I did then my bills wouldn't get paid, my lad wouldn't have any clothes or food and I'd probably get into arrears on my council tax too.

Anyone who can afford to do any game they choose should consider themselves quite fortunate.

What a load of shite. I live in London and I've got rent, bills, pension, mortgage savings, travel card, phone bill to pay for. If I got a season ticket on top of that and travelled to every home game, I wouldn't be able to afford to eat.

My old man is in his fifties and works 12 hour shifts every day to pay the bills and make sure he's got enough for when him and my mum are retired.

You don't know anything about anyone's financial situation, so don't come here saying that 'anyone can afford a ticket it they want it' - yes, the direct debits make it more affordable than before, but the majority of people who'd like but don't have a season ticket have other financial commitments and to dismiss them as not wanting it enough is bizarre and insulting.

The person responsible for me supporting the city, lived in london he had all of the above, but made sacrifices to travel up to home games and started taking me.

It's a lifestyle choice yes, but to say it's not affordable? I really don't understand how people can live so close to the breadline that they can't sacrifice one thing to afford a few quid a month.

Why do you live in London? I'm assuming you choose to, I hope no one held a gun to your head.

I have a mortgage, 2 cars to run, 2 kids to send to nursery, things are tight, but I live within my means, meaning that on a saturday, there is cash left for the football. If that means I go without something else then that's a choice.

But this is my problem with the whole what being a fan means, I'm not dismissing people who make choices, but I really can't stand people who bleat on that they can't afford it, I earn a relatively modest sum but manage to get by.

Please tell me how every penny you earn gets eaten up by something essential. If that is the case, I'd suggest getting a place with cheaper rent, pay less into your pension, drink less, smoke less, spend less on high class hookers, whatever your vice is.

I'm sorry that you old man is still having to work such stupid hours at that age, he sound's a great example to some of the lazy modern youth of today.

But I will never understand the whole I can't afford it.

I will try very hard to make this my last opinion on the matter.

For me it's living 150 miles away from Leicester my whole life but still adoring the club because my dad raised me supporting them. I live in Hampshire and I travel 300 miles in a day to go to every single home game. I must be the only season ticket holder in Hampshire but I don't care!

:glare:

Archived