Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

City Player Ratings v Charlton ?

I too get frustrated when our midfielders constantly have to turn back when in threatening positions, but more frustrated at their lack of options than at them. 

Exactly! Drinkwater did it today passed back to wes and put him under pressure! 

The first half was dire

Anyone giving our defense 8's and 9's - we conceded twice from set pieces against a very average Charlton side.

Miquel at least looked like he wanted to play it out from the back; I'd give all 3 CBs and the GK 6

It was the first time I've seen us play 5-3-2; Schlupp and De-leat seem to have been told not to go past the half-way line so the front 5 was narrow and isolated making is easy for Charlton - both get a 5

zero imagination from the three CMs 5's across the board

DD - a bit of a nob cupping his ears

James - a bit of a nob going after the ref like he did

Nugent / Vardy - very isolated so nothing to work with 5

Knocky - at least looks like an attacking threat. If we persist with 5-3-2 he needs to play

Usually a fan of NP but that was very negative - if you can't defend set pieces you can't plan for 1-0 away wins

The first half was dire

Anyone giving our defense 8's and 9's - we conceded twice from set pieces against a very average Charlton side.

Miquel at least looked like he wanted to play it out from the back; I'd give all 3 CBs and the GK 6

It was the first time I've seen us play 5-3-2; Schlupp and De-leat seem to have been told not to go past the half-way line so the front 5 was narrow and isolated making is easy for Charlton - both get a 5

zero imagination from the three CMs 5's across the board

DD - a bit of a nob cupping his ears

James - a bit of a nob going after the ref like he did

Nugent / Vardy - very isolated so nothing to work with 5

Knocky - at least looks like an attacking threat. If we persist with 5-3-2 he needs to play

Usually a fan of NP but that was very negative - if you can't defend set pieces you can't plan for 1-0 away wins

This is how I saw it too.

Again, the worry for me is Father Ted's description of 'anonymous' for Andy King.

He's the fulcrum of the central midfield, in the words of Fleckney Mike, our 'best player'. He cannot be 'anonymous' in any game. If King is as good as most people think he is, this just will not do. Home and away, Andy King must run that midfield area, or at least be influential every time he plays.

Spot on Col..........but how often is he ??

Sorry King lovers ...........but he's predominantly the weak link & has been for the last 3 seasons !!!!

Kasper 6 - Ok some world class saves but was responsible for their first goal and rarely commanded his box from set pieces.

Moore 6

Morgan 7 .

Miquel 6 - Grew in confidence it seemed. Poor decision to go to ground and give away the free kick that led to the first goal.

RDL 5

Schlupp 5

Drinkwater 6 - extra point for the goal but was terrible first half.

James 5

King 7 - was here there and everywhere as usual.

Vardy 7 - why was he replaced? Seemed our most threatening player.

Nugent 6 -

Dyer 5

Knockeart 6

Wood 4

Jeez, it's one league game since King scored and people were along about his great performance against Brum and now he is anonymous again? Talk about fickle. The lad has changed his game, works tirelessly in defence and does a lot of the running and water carrying now and people are getting on his back...again.

I'm a bit worried that we didn't play Zak in this game as we knew Kermorgant's threat in the air and to quote Lamby from yesterday, they had no pace in their team. Surely this is a Whitbread game if there ever is one?

Jeez, it's one league game since King scored and people were along about his great performance against Brum and now he is anonymous again? Talk about fickle. The lad has changed his game, works tirelessly in defence and does a lot of the running and water carrying now and people are getting on his back...again.

I'm a bit worried that we didn't play Zak in this game as we knew Kermorgant's threat in the air and to quote Lamby from yesterday, they had no pace in their team. Surely this is a Whitbread game if there ever is one?

It's not fickle mate. I've been watching King now ever since he was a nipper.

I've tried to be as balanced about him as I possibly can be. He can be a lovely player. Naturally talented, with a nice pass and the ability to get forward and score goals. A 'cultured' player if you like.

However, I HAVE seen King go missing in games. He can become anonymous IMO. This happens most often away from home, when we are being over-run by constant pressure from the home team. Then, he doesn't have the time to play his natural game and seems to be 'off the pace' so to speak. This doesn't make him a bad player. He isn't. He's a good player. But I maintain that Andy King shines in some games but looks very different in others. The sign of a really good player at this level, IMO is one who is consistently strong in most games he plays in, both home and away.

It's for this reason that I'm hoping the new signing is good news for Andy King. If he's playing alongside someone who can control the game, thus relieving him of some of his defensive duties, this will free King up to do what he does best. IMO this is attacking, not defending.

King was best, I think, when he was playing alongside a younger, fitter and stronger Richie Wellens. Why? Because Wellens when on form, was the midfield controller. This gave King the license to get forward more.

Schmeichel 8 - Made 2, possibly 3 world class saves. Unfortunately the ref didn't protect him at all which led to both of their goals.

De Laet 5 - Very poor. Gave us no width, scared to take his man on and looked vulnerable when taken on. Disappointing.

Moore 7 - Won almost every duel he had but distribution was poor, the whole point of having a back 3 is that the centre backs are allowed to carry the ball!

Morgan 7 - As above.

Miquel 7 - Very impressed with the lad. Good touch, classy on the ball. Much better option than Whitbread and an improvement on Keane imo. Time will tell.

Schlupp 7 - Defensively sound and did well on the ball without doing much of note attacking wise. Surprised he was subbed.

Drinkwater 5.5 - Captain slow. 

James 6 - Just like at Derby, hampered by an early yellow card that should never have been.

King 5 - Anonymous

Vardy 7 - Good again. Very good work to set up Drinkwater and another cracking run from nothing to put Drinkwater in one on one which was saved. Always looked lively.

Nugent 5 - Back to his usual self. I really don't get why our fans rate him so highly.

Ref - ****

Pretty much how I saw it Father T, think you're a little harsh on Kingy I would give him a 6 at least and sadly I would only give Nuge a 4, think his heads with his Mrs or I hope that's it!

I've tried to be as balanced about him as I possibly can be. He can be a lovely player. Naturally talented, with a nice pass and the ability to get forward and score goals. A 'cultured' player if you like.

However, I HAVE seen King go missing in games. He can become anonymous IMO. This happens most often away from home, when we are being over-run by constant pressure from the home team. Then, he doesn't have the time to play his natural game and seems to be 'off the pace' so to speak. This doesn't make him a bad player. He isn't. He's a good player. But I maintain that Andy King shines in some games but looks very different in others. The sign of a really good player at this level, IMO is one who is consistently strong in most games he plays in, both home and away.

It's for this reason that I'm hoping the new signing is good news for Andy King. If he's playing alongside someone who can control the game, thus relieving him of some of his defensive duties, this will free King up to do what he does best. IMO this is attacking, not defending.

King was best, I think, when he was playing alongside a younger, fitter and stronger Richie Wellens. Why? Because Wellens when on form, was the midfield controller. This gave King the license to get forward more.

Exactly !!!

When the going gets tough .....the tough get going !

If only this applied to Andy King !

One half decent game in ten just doesn't cut it !!!!

"water carrying" "a lot of running "...........ffs !!!!!

Sorry Col but you just went against what you said yesterday where you posted that you weren't there and "fair enough" that he was our best midfielder yesterday.

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/90124-charlton-post-match/?p=2710214

"water carrying" "a lot of running "...........ffs !!!!!

What's your point? You don't want anyone doing those roles? What is this one in ten BS you are spouting? He scored last league game and has been good all season. Oh wait... You profile pic is a troll... Makes sense now....

Sorry Col but you just went against what you said yesterday where you posted that you weren't there and "fair enough" that he was our best midfielder yesterday.

What's your point? You don't want anyone doing those roles? What is this one in ten BS you are spouting? He scored last league game and has been good all season. Oh wait... You profile pic is a troll... Makes sense now....

Insults ??? tut tut

You have your opinion & you are entitled to it ( misguided though it is )......and mine is, that he's simply not influential or strong enough & the weak link in a demanding midfield !!!

Ok ???

Carrick's the type of player who fans think 'goes missing', that can be a good thing as he's doing the unseen work and positioning himself well. Like King. 

Carrick passes forwards (not sidewards all the time) and will make ugly challenges, both of which King doesn't do.

I'm not a King hater, I like him, think he is a good footballer, but his game is arriving late into the penalty area. 

I was talking more generally mate. No I wasn't there yesterday, but I tend to follow Father Ted's posts on player ratings. If he said King was anonymous, then that's usually enough for me.

Funny how people see games and performances very differently.

Insults ??? tut tut

You have your opinion & you are entitled to it ( misguided though it is )......and mine is, that he's simply not influential or strong enough & the weak link in a demanding midfield !!!

Ok ???

Yup, I do have my opinion and I will stick to it thanks. Agree to disagree.

I was talking more generally mate. No I wasn't there yesterday, but I tend to follow Father Ted's posts on player ratings. If he said King was anonymous, then that's usually enough for me.

Funny how people see games and performances very differently.

Ok, fair enough Col. I don't think he's gone missing this season but we can see what happens now we have Hammond in the team and if this frees him up to a more attacking role again.

Carrick passes forwards (not sidewards all the time) and will make ugly challenges, both of which King doesn't do.

I'm not a King hater, I like him, think he is a good footballer, but his game is arriving late into the penalty area.

Pretty sure the stats don't support what you're saying.

Didn't King make the most "key passes" of any of our central players last season?

Archived