Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicesterseddon

'Badge for hire'?

There was an interesting article on the Telegraph sport website today about corporate branding and football clubs:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10321959/Manchester-City-have-ground-to-make-up-on-United-in-battle-of-brands.html

It quotes a former managing director of merchandising at MUFC, who reckons that too much corporate sponsorship can actually hurt a club's long-term revenues if its own 'brand' becomes too diluted by those of commercial stakeholders.

It got me thinking about our own situation at Leicester. It's been obvious to us for some time now that with the shirt deals, stadium re-naming (albeit from another corporate name), TV screens and branding both inside and outside the ground that our club, from the perspective of the owners anyway, is little more than an advertising instrument for their duty-free empire - one which they hope to promote to billions around the world by acquiring the global TV audience made possible by the Premier League.

Of course, commercial interests have always been a part of running a modern football club, but the scale, relentlessness and pace of what is going on at the club is far in excess of anything that has gone on before - as will be obvious to those of us who get the chance to watch home games on a reasonably regular basis. As football fans, we have to balance our dismay at these developments with the cold reality that such money-making ventures may be a crucial part of achieving on-field success in the modern game (some would say Cardiff demonstrate this).

However, does anyone else think that the current cohort of (largely) foreign owners currently piggybacking the rise in worldwide popularity of the PL are in danger of killing the goose that laid the golden egg? If you sell of too much of your soul to the marketing men, is there a danger that in a few years' time, you might not have anything left to sell? It is well known, for instance, that the popularity of English football in Asia compared with Spanish and German football is more about the 'image' and uniqueness of the English game than the actual standard of football on the pitch (where the top Spanish and German clubs have arguably outstripped ours anyway)...MUFC's commercial attractiveness is not just about the success of its team, but also its history, traditions, images, unique stadium...

Of course, this criticism only means something if we assume that they are in this for the long-haul (which would clearly be a little naive), but I just wondered what other fans would feel about this. Do you think there might even be a commercial argument for limiting commercial branding? :dunno:

I can only assume from this comment that you didn't read either my post or the aricle...

Hang on a minute!!!!! Are you telling me that we need to read stuff before criticising it!!!!???

I'm not sure I like the direction this forum is taking!!!

I can only assume from this comment that you didn't read either my post or the aricle...

I disagree with image in Asia. The world loves the Premier League because it is unique, Spanish/Italian/German football is far more technical but far more patient and to be honest boring. Asia's affinty with the british game came way way before the premier league.

If people don't think that's the way we are going, then re-think, in my opinion. It's all branding nowadays, and football is ultimately, just a business.

We've seen the stadium name change, the King Power logo replacing images of our club legends and the new colour on our shirt. It may go even further, who knows, because the owners are using Leicester City Football Club to enhance their business in Europe. I mean, if they get King Power into Birmingham, Manchester and Heathrow airports then I'm sure they'll be pleased, as well our ultimate promotion to the Premier League of course.

I wish I was still standing in pen 2 at 3pm on a Saturday, watching a group of players whilst well paid, still related to the real world.

But that was then and I don't really see it coming back. Looking at broader society everything is about brand and image etc these days...

The guy quoted in the telegraph article is entitled to his opinion but lacks the credibility of matching the commercial achievements of Man U so could be a fair dollop of sour grapes rather than real insight into branding

Not sure I agree with the OP that the owners interest in Leicester is solely as a promotional tool. I'm not a graduate of a top school of business but even I can see that if I were looking to invest tens of millions in building my brand that purchasing LCFC would not be my first choice. Sure there's a commercial edge to it but I think there's a genuine intent to build something for the long term, not quit and leave us in the lurch. Of course I don't know them anymore than the next fan so time will tell...

It is well known, for instance, that the popularity of English football in Asia compared with Spanish and German football is more about the 'image' and uniqueness of the English game than the actual standard of football on the pitch (where the top Spanish and German clubs have arguably outstripped ours anyway)...MUFC's commercial attractiveness is not just about the success of its team, but also its history, traditions, images, unique stadium..

I agree with most of the OPs comments and there some good points raised but I take exception to Spanish football "arguably outstripped ours".

Spanish football is largely hype with very little substance - The Bale transfer being the latest offering.

For example, and I know champions league isnt the be all and end all but ........

Champions League winners

last 5 years          last 10 years

Spain                  2                               3

England              1                               3

Germany             1                               1

Italy                     1                               2

Portugal              0                               1

Champions League finalists

last 5 years          last 10 years

Spain                  2                               3

England              3                               8

Germany            4                               4

Italy                     1                               3

Portugal              0                               1

France                0                               1

It hardly indicates the Spanish are running away with things.  Now the Germans, that's something else.

Archived