Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Morgan Wants To Sign New Deal

We'll have to agree to disagree there, I'm sure I read a stat one as well saying the 6th place team goes up more often than the 3rd as well so the best don't.

It's a lottery for me, four teams generally of level ability and then a one off 90 minutes. Holloway has won them twice and Pearson has lost in them twice. It's cruel.

Can you answer this, (unlikely I know but)

Let's say we finished 3rd this year with 85 points and lost in the play off final after winning the semi comfortbly?, surely after a season like that you would still want to keep the manager? It would be madness to chuck out the door someone who had produced that sort of consistency over a 46 games period on the basis of one game?

Difficult one to call, but I'd be basing it on all the games over his time here, in this division, but particularly over the fact that he's failed over 4 previous semis and then a final.

Losing out to QPR & Reading for the automatics may be a sickener but if it was Burnley then questions would need to be asked.

What would you do should we be clear second in late January and then choke again like we did last season and fail in the play-offs, would you give him another contract?

What would you do should we be clear second in late January and then choke again like we did last season and fail in the play-offs, would you give him another contract?

I'd be looking at realistic options for a replacement, trying to garner if they were interesting and then making a decision on whether anyone who was would give me a better chance of promotion the season after. If the answer Yes I'd appoint, if no I'd offer NP another year.

Three games after the season would have no bearing on my decision either (I still stand by my comment in May that Holloway should have been dismissed after winning the play-offs)

Back of the Merc

:w00t:

It's dangerous to disclose information like this on football forum Bert, you're putting the Mercury's source in jeopardy and in future we might not get any new information at all. Should be ashamed.

I'm bored.

Three games after the season would have no bearing on my decision either (I still stand by my comment in May that Holloway should have been dismissed after winning the play-offs)

I wouldn't disagree with that, I was so frustrated with us during that run last season (the really bad one) that I'd have sacked Pearson and if nobody else was available I'd have signed Warnock on the proviso that he was sacked when the whistle blew at the end of the last game, whether he'd got us promoted or not.

The POs do have an element of luck to them, three (or indeed two) games aren't always going to be representative of the ability of those teams.

Brighton had the best from going into them and were probably the worst performers. Palace had the worst form as I recall and won them. Hard to argue that those few games are won entirely through having the best squad.

I did also mention 'nous'.

We lost 2 play-off finals under Little to dodgy penalties, we beat a better Derby side by having more experience of how to win a final.

You think? I just thought for once we got the rub.

If John Harkes finishes one of the easiest chances I've ever seen missed or the ref sees Walshies elbow on the keeper for the first goal we most probably lose.

Erm because at the end of this season, when a number of contracts are up, we could be promoted to the Premier.

It would be madness to extend the contracts of players 'that can get us out of this division' if we're not playing in it any longer.

The same applies to the manager.

We're under FFP at the moment, you don't sign players you may not need.

Should we not be promoted I'd probably want to keep Schmeichel, Morgan & Nugent.

Should we be promoted I'd hope we could attract better players.

I cant believe people are talking of the P word so early on in the season especially after last time round!

Assuming we did it though, and had managed to get these players who are only 'good enough to get us out of this division' to sign new contracts, many other clubs would fall over themselves to sign some of our surplus players, and having them under a longer contract means you can have a higher asking price for them.

In all honesty there's actually only one contract I want to hear has been signed- Pearson's. Get the owners to show some faith in him, and as others have rightly said, once players know who the gaffer is gonna be next season then they may start to commit to us. Pearson is more important than Wes as should Wes leave and NP stay I'd have the utmost confidence in Pearson in plucking someone equally as good as wes out of nowhere.

One way or another I don't think Pearson will be here next seasonwhich is a huge shame. If we go up he thoroughly deserves a crack at the prem, if we fail and he still goes then what with a new manger coming in and uprooting the squad thus starting another circus, Pearson may as well leave now.

I remember people thinking the likes of Walsh and Taggart weren't good enough for the Premiership. I don't remember them being torn new ones on a regular basis. I don't see it happening with Wes either. I'd be more worried about the full backs than Morgan, Moore and Wasilewski

Konchesky would have to go but I think De Laet if he was a bit more disciplined would be alright.

Surprised that some don't want NP whichever division we're in.

I'd like him to have a 5 or even 10 year contract. Stability would be great.

He isn't going to be interested in talking to other championship clubs if he believes that Leicester are going to be promoted. He isn't going to be interested in talking to Prem clubs who could be relegated. Top Prem clubs are unlikely to be interested in him.

As long as we are in the running for promotion this is a non-subject and if he thinks we aren't then he needs a kick up the ass.

and if we dont get promotion?

Then some relegated club comes along with their parachute payment and offers him more than we can and we lose out on our captain and most consistent defender.

we could finish third on goal difference after a good season and still miss out.

Best not to take the risk of 'just as long as we are still in the hunt for promotion'... IMHO

and if we dont get promotion?

Then some relegated club comes along with their parachute payment and offers him more than we can and we lose out on our captain and most consistent defender.

we could finish third on goal difference after a good season and still miss out.

Best not to take the risk of 'just as long as we are still in the hunt for promotion'... IMHO

Wrong.

If he's asking too much as a championship player it would be suicide to jump like lemmings.

If he's asking for a reasonable championship wage with bonus for promotion then I'd sign him up straight away but your idea is far too short-sighted in modern football.

IMHO

Archived