Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
langtonfox

Walshys Rant

That was not an impossible job, that was a top 10 Premiership side with 2 cups and a place in Europe. The remit was stay in the league till the ground was built. The squad hadn't flirted with relegation, heck it hadn't even glanced in its general direction. That squad hadn't peaked either, it didn't need overhauling it just needed maintaining. 

Taylor slowly and methodically took it apart. Lennon left (no blame attached to Taylor) and was replaced by Junior Lewis (all blame attached to Taylor). Just let that sink in. Heskey (who had left the season before so not Taylor's fault) was replaced by Akinbiyi and Benjamin for £6.5m.

You are so wrong the debts are with the club they have loaned not given the money.

They also own the ground.

LCFC owe the owners 55mil+ and we still do not own the ground when that is payed back.

The agreements on that money will be tied up so the club can't walk away from it.

The people that run the club have agreed the loans and signed them.

All wrong who pays there wage OHHHH our owners.

Our owners walk we are fvcked aka the next cov/pompey

That's what I was saying? 

LCFC owe the current owners 55m+

LCFC owe no past owners anything.

What I was saying is that ive seen atleast 5+ posts on here blaming taylor for us being in the position we are in now?

Thats ludicrous, The debt caused by taylor and the board above him were cleared years ago, The reason we are still a championship team is nothing to do with him, as the debt we were in then has been paid off by previous owners and milan... The reason we are where we are now is because we have been shit for 10 years

NOT because of taylor, People on this forum and in our fanbase have such a big chip on their shoulders, and if in 20 years we are still in the championship, there will still be arseholes blaming taylor for it all. The Taylor era is well and truely over, The taylor debts - cleared, the players - cleared, the staff - gone.... 

We are in debt now because of sven/our current owners, so if anything goes wrong now, its their fault, as we are still owing money to them.

So no. I am not wrong, but if you read the post thoroughly you would have known what I was talking about.

I say again. Peter Taylor was widely considered to be one of the best young English managers around at the time. Reputed to be good at 'man management' and alleged to have a great sense of humour. Most people at the time, if my memory serves me right, were trepidatious about ANYBODY becoming manager after we lost MON, but were generally quite happy with the signing of Taylor. It proved to be the wrong choice at a time when I believe the Board took some time to actually select a new manager?

Generally, with the exception of Micky Adams, the job has proven to be a poisoned chalice to some extent, ever since.

This is why City fans were so worried when MON was linked to Celtic. We'd punched above our weight to such an extent that most of us, I think, thought the only way we would go thereafter was down... And so it has proved, apart from Adam's promotion season.

If Pearson finally leads the club to promotion, he will be hailed as the best City manager since MON. Although people were well chuffed with Adams getting us back into the top tier, I think many still had some doubts about him... Certainly his ability to sustain success.

I still firmly feel that Taylor's failure at the club was linked to two things... He was simply not good enough, both in his signings and his tactics. But secondly, MON was a massively hard act to follow and has remained as such ever since.

Quite a spot on post actually. I was quite indifferent about P.Taylor signing the dotted line in 2000 to be honest, sharing the widely held view at the time that the only way was going to be down after MON left for Celtic but that the guy had to be given a chance. The rest, as they say is history! Despite a promising start under him as said and a generally safe-ish first season in charge when we finished 13th in the Prem, under his guidance, all that followed over the summer (bad signings) into the season after then ensured the writing was on the wall for him - that also included the general capitulation during the second part of his first season at the helm arguably, with those eight successive league losses following the Wycombe disaster in the FA Cup.

Indeed all the waifs and strays that have come and gone in LCFC management in the post O'Neill years have proved that to be the case re the downhill all the way factor, with Taylor very much included of course....only possible exception was Nigel Pearson first time around to bring us back from the dead with immediate effect and indeed Mickey Adams (who came in alongside Harry Bassett initially of course) - in which we were very unlucky to get relegated from the Prem. under him straight away I thought.

+1 your so right.

Shame most on here were not born when McLintock fvcked up a great side.

Taylor looked good and took us top with MON's side once he got rid of Lennon and changed the play we went down hill with a rocket attached.

They are without doubt our worst 2 managers in my living memory followed close by Pleat.

But our worst ever season was going down to div 3 the third tire.

But I don't blame any manager for that it was down to one person MM.

you can't change management like he did and expect to stay up.

Relegation was down to one person? So the players and management had no part in it then?

Yes you can change management and expect to stay up. If you appoint someone decent. We went down because the managers we appointed were fvcking crap.

What I was saying is that ive seen atleast 5+ posts on here blaming taylor for us being in the position we are in now?

Thats ludicrous, The debt caused by taylor and the board above him were cleared years ago, The reason we are still a championship team is nothing to do with him, as the debt we were in then has been paid off by previous owners and milan... The reason we are where we are now is because we have been shit for 10 years

NOT because of taylor, People on this forum and in our fanbase have such a big chip on their shoulders, and if in 20 years we are still in the championship, there will still be arseholes blaming taylor for it all. The Taylor era is well and truely over, The taylor debts - cleared, the players - cleared, the staff - gone.... 

We are in debt now because of sven/our current owners, so if anything goes wrong now, its their fault, as we are still owing money to them.

So no. I am not wrong, but if you read the post thoroughly you would have known what I was talking about.

I certainly blame Taylor for the position we were in pre the Thais.

The financial mess we were left in following our relegation from the Prem meant that successive managers didn't have a pot to piss in. Adam's temporarily reversed the slide by virtue of having MON players in the squad but once promoted we still had no money and relied exclusively on free transfers to try and remain in the league. The subsequent relegation following the terminal breath of promotion was it and a decade of aimless stumbling from crisis to crisis followed.  

But they took over after a season or less in the prem, and I don't think Rodgers or Adkins had been at their clubs as long as MON had been here, and they hadn't had the continued success we had had. There is also a lot more of a top down running of the club these days, with owners having a very strong vision of what they want to acheive and a backroom staff that includes a director of football and scounting networks to control things like transfer fees and ensure the right player is brought in to continue their vision. Adkins was also sacked mid season which was a huge gamble but they felt they had found the right man to take them where they wanted to go, and they have been proved right, as much as I wanted them to fail.

Back in Taylor's day it was very much the manager in charge of everything and to come in despite having very little experience, personally I wouldn't have touched that job with a barge pole, we were successful because of sheer effort and desire, our squad had no right to be as successful as it was, compare that to Southampton and Swansea, they had good footballers playing good football, bringing in a continental style manager only added to that and made them better. We had a mixture of aging pros, gems from the lower leagues, a couple of shrewd foreign signings and a maverick genius it was a squad that had grown slowly but together. We played unattractive but highly effective football with an intensity and desire not seen here since. We needed to keep that squad together and get in an experienced manager/motivator or have a complete rebuild to stand a chance, and even then we wouldn't have been able to repeat the success of MON. In my opinion.

Those are reasons to support that it wasn't an impossible job.

Had O'Neill  just had one good season with us you could argue it was a flash in the pan. But it wasn't, we clearly had a good side, and for him to take over that side was not an impossible job. It was a great job.

An impossible job is taking over a train wreck like Sunderland or Palace this season and being asked to keep them up.Absolutely nothing like the job Taylor had tot do.

Holloway is an interestng character, you clearly shouldn't admit that you weren't good enough for the job if you want further employment, but then if you look at his record, apart from here, it is very good, and he will get a job at struggling championship club again and get them up the up the table. His mistake at Palace was buying in too many players that weren't prem standard, I don't think anyone is good enough to keep that squad up. I think that is the first time he has a serious budget to play with, I don't remember him splashing the cash at Blackpool, and he couldn't handle it.

In some ways that is similar to Taylor, he wasn't used to buying players of quality and had no idea of their actual value, in some ways he got the best out of MON's squad by getting them top of the Prem, but as soon as he get near the cheque book it all went wrong. He also didn't seem to get along with the players, which if you compare to Holloway he was accused of being clueless by some Palace players, particularly that fella he bought and then didn't put in the Prem Squad. Similar to Warnock at QPR. I think now more than ever there is a style of management that works in the Championship that doesn't translate to Premiership players or players from foreign leagues. The successful promoted teams have been ones that have added to their existing core squad and not tried to buy a completely new team or spent big on some "star" players.

In comparing Holloway with Taylor though, yes they were both bad managers for Leicester, but Holloway took us from being an average championship team getting steadily worse and just continued the trend to its logical conclusion, relegation. PT took a top 10 prem side, the best Leicester side in my and many other's lifetimes and turned it into dross on the pitch and financial meltdown off it. So he is by far the worst manager I have seen, but I still don't hate him, taking over from MON was an impossible job, he just did it spectacularly badly.

Good post. I think the only player who reportedly "flourished" in any playing capacity under Taylor was Robbie Savage, with his saying he had improved as a player under Taylor. Debatable I thought and maybe a bit of brown nosing on Savage's behalf there at the time as there were times when MON left him out in the cold I guess as he had a better squad at his disposal of course!

True re what you say when doing an A/B of Holloway to Taylor too - with both seeming to be strangers to the big cheque book it seemed! I was surprised Holloway didn't start to do well with us in his first and only season though, I never envisaged he would be the first ever manager to end up taking us down to the third tear........being as he had done very well at Plymouth before joining us but then again, we were two differing clubs in size, expectation, spending power and stature - a role that Holloway wasn't accustomed to and it appears history has just repeated for him at Palace too. To an extent O'Neill was not adept in the way of quality when it came to his "big money signings" either though, Arnar Gunlaughsson was a case in point at the time = but more modest (yet sizeable at the time) like Matty Elliot amongst others were sublime and shrewd purchases at reasonable cost. In all he just seemed to get it right with all the other players he brought to the club and moulded into one formidable unit! He also had a good team around him too ie Robertson and Walford. You're right to conclude that Taylor probably couldn't have done a worse job in his overall time with us, not even if he'd had a second bite at the cherry in doing the same!

I think the biggest problem was the club lost arguable it best two players in Heskey and Lennon, all team's need a strong spine and ours was Elliott, Lennon, Izzet and Heskey. 

Two got sold and one was in the twilight of his carer,  Taylor need to buy well and had little experience of buying players, the mistake wasn't Taylor's it was the club's for picking the wrong man!

Could you image any PL club hiring the under 21 manager now days......

You say past owners are owed nothing do you not think that's down to the club going into administration????? I blame Peter Taylor for everything that went wrong with our club.

Archived