Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Morgan's Contract situation.

I agree that if we get Pearson tied down and one older, key player like dyer that would be productive early on. I don't think we can expect Kasper to sign a new deal until late January anyway. I think we will get a better, clearer idea of the whole situation once we get a sense of our activities in the transfer market. 2-4 cheaper players coming in means we may not see some of the big earners (exclude wes from this as our captain I think he is a certainty for a new deal at some point) around next season. Also do we not agree that if we lose players like danns, Gallagher and SSL (if anyone is ballsy enough to take on punt in his never ending injury spell) that we can't be far off FFP and will be in a situation to offer new deals then. We must loose about 35-45k a week in wages with those 3 at least. There is talk of danns and gally going in January anyway which is a positive. Also I think when signing on players like Konch and dyer must be expecting a pay cut - regardless of FFP - if nothing else due to their age. At 32/3 it is unreasonable to expect a "mega" contract in a championship club.

Do you not think he has already bridged the gap to make us promotion contenders?

We were in the play offs last year have sat in the top two all season this year, you can't even get a price odds against at the bookies anymore that we go up.

We might not go up but we are certainly contenders too.

I didn't say Morgan wouldn't sign a new deal, I said he probably wouldn't sign a new deal with clauses that left him on a lower wage should we be still down here. It would be better for him to wait it out than sign a contract like that as...

1. He'd get the bigger wage he would have signed for anyway should we go up.

or

2. He's out of contract and could probably earn more at another club, Forest or even another Prem club may take a chance on him.

He needs to get the job done for me get promotion! (doesn't matter if it is through the playoffs or automatic), then he can be offered the contract he desires.

Until that point has been achieved I see little point in offering him a contract when we haven't achieved promotion we are on the right tracks credit to him.

The owners aren't waiting til the end of the season. Pearson will be offered a new deal. They don't want someone new to come in and change everything again which will obviously cost money. They've learnt that lesson from Sven

I do think this is nearer the mark, add to this which of these players we could replace if promoted or what other clubs could offer if not. It seems to have been forgotten that GTF signed for us because it was the best offer he received, we are not the only club with FFP issues but may well be in a better position than a lot if clubs in this leauge

Leicester City captain Wes Morgan has urged the club to sort out his contract situation as soon as possible.

Morgan is one of 11 players out of contract at the end of the season but he said he has yet to be made a new offer, or even hold talks over his future.

The 29-year-old said other players were feeling the same as him and hopes City will end the uncertainty.

So far, the contract situation has not affected performances as City sit joint top of the Championship ahead of tomorrow's visit of Millwall.

Morgan said that was down to the professionalism of players, but he said it was in the back of their minds. "I want to get it sorted and I have made that known to the owners and the people upstairs that it would be good to get it sorted," said Morgan, who has expressed his desire to stay at City.

"But nothing has been sorted. I am sure come January something must happen. We will have to wait and see.

"There are a few of us in the same boat and we all feel the same.

"We want to get it sorted, concentrate on the football, get to the end of the season and get promoted.

"We just want it sorted and then crack on with getting promoted."

Morgan was the subject of bids from former club Nottingham Forest during the summer, which were rejected, and speculation is certain to start again in January if he has not signed a new deal.

Morgan insists the players are focused on maintaining City's good start to the season.

"They are a good bunch of lads," said Morgan. "It is important we give our all and win the games.

"All the boys are on the same page regarding that."

Leicester City captain Wes Morgan has urged the club to sort out his contract situation as soon as possible.

Morgan is one of 11 players out of contract at the end of the season but he said he has yet to be made a new offer, or even hold talks over his future.

The 29-year-old said other players were feeling the same as him and hopes City will end the uncertainty.

So far, the contract situation has not affected performances as City sit joint top of the Championship ahead of tomorrow's visit of Millwall.

Morgan said that was down to the professionalism of players, but he said it was in the back of their minds. "I want to get it sorted and I have made that known to the owners and the people upstairs that it would be good to get it sorted," said Morgan, who has expressed his desire to stay at City.

"But nothing has been sorted. I am sure come January something must happen. We will have to wait and see.

"There are a few of us in the same boat and we all feel the same.

"We want to get it sorted, concentrate on the football, get to the end of the season and get promoted.

"We just want it sorted and then crack on with getting promoted."

Morgan was the subject of bids from former club Nottingham Forest during the summer, which were rejected, and speculation is certain to start again in January if he has not signed a new deal.

Morgan insists the players are focused on maintaining City's good start to the season.

"They are a good bunch of lads," said Morgan. "It is important we give our all and win the games.

"All the boys are on the same page regarding that."

It's nice to know they genuinely want to stay but then they are on decent bunce here. I've always worried that new contracts lead to a dip in performances see Fryatt, Wellens, Gallagher in recent years who all played their best football for us when coming to the end of their deals. Pearson also works best for us when there's speculation, he seems to be good at creating a siege mentality. I'm not saying they shouldn't all get new deals but i'd hate for it to then effect their performance levels and we fcuk up again.

I just hope we are sensible with contracts! I can't see any reason not to have a 3 tier contract with different level of pay depending on what league we are in. Prem level - Should we get promoted, Champ level and below champ level - should the worst happen again.

You look at some of the wages Wolves players are on from when they were in the Prem and it just isn't sustainable! All clubs should start to look at being a little smarter with contracts! 

Don't get me wrong, Morgan has been the class act and one of the shrewdest signing I've seen in a leicester shirt,

But I think he is a bit overrated by our fans tbh,

He's quality at this level, and would be a good first team, fringing backup player at premiership level, we simply have no better than him... 

The fact of the matter is we are conceding more this season than last, and that is the responsibility of the captain, The defence look poorer than last year IMO,

I'm sure nigel could find a replacement if he went....

I like morgan alot and hope we do sign him up, 

But I don't think it's the end of the world if we lose him, same with Kaspar... Obviously nigel either agrees, or likes putting pressure on players!

Interesting.

I may be cynical but very few of our players would be good enough should we get promoted, and I include Wes and Kasper in that.

It is an odd situation, the gap is now so huge between Premiership and Championship standard, that if our current squad 'does the business' and gets us promotion, many of them will be fringe players at best. A fair few will be allowed to move on, probably to other Championship sides.

There is a sense of 'give us a contract now or else' about all this, if Wes or Schmiechel were given good contracts and we were promoted we could easily end up with just a couple of well paid reserves but if we miss out we would just have some more overpaid (for the division) players that we could not get rid of.

I appreciate that this reflects my view that neither Wes nor Schmeichel are clear premiership quality, don't take this the wrong way, they are both bloody good players, but the standards in the Premiership are now so high I doubt either would be a regular starter.

Interesting.

I may be cynical but very few of our players would be good enough should we get promoted, and I include Wes and Kasper in that.

It is an odd situation, the gap is now so huge between Premiership and Championship standard, that if our current squad 'does the business' and gets us promotion, many of them will be fringe players at best. A fair few will be allowed to move on, probably to other Championship sides.

There is a sense of 'give us a contract now or else' about all this, if Wes or Schmiechel were given good contracts and we were promoted we could easily end up with just a couple of well paid reserves but if we miss out we would just have some more overpaid (for the division) players that we could not get rid of.

I appreciate that this reflects my view that neither Wes nor Schmeichel are clear premiership quality, don't take this the wrong way, they are both bloody good players, but the standards in the Premiership are now so high I doubt either would be a regular starter.

I tend to agree with this, although i've no doubt that we'd go in to the season with Kasper as our number 1. Whether he's good enough is yet to be discovered but he's highly thought of and coveted by higher placed teams than us.

I tend to agree with this, although i've no doubt that we'd go in to the season with Kasper as our number 1. Whether he's good enough is yet to be discovered but he's highly thought of and coveted by higher placed teams than us.

You are probably right, but apart from Michael Laudrup's Swansea I don't think we have had any serious interest in Schmeichel.

Similarly for Wes, if a Prem side had showed any interest I am pretty sure we would have known about it and he would probably have moved. At his age he is unlikely to get many chances of playing in the Prem, I doubt he is going to get much better.

You are probably right, but apart from Michael Laudrup's Swansea I don't think we have had any serious interest in Schmeichel.

Similarly for Wes, if a Prem side had showed any interest I am pretty sure we would have known about it and he would probably have moved. At his age he is unlikely to get many chances of playing in the Prem, I doubt he is going to get much better.

Hull are the only time that have made a formal bid for him and it remains to be seen if they'll stay up, unlikely to if Sunderland pick up their form.

Morgan is unfashionable, the only PL clubs he'd interest are promoted teams or strugglers so that's why he's very eager to sign a new deal with us.

The terms they would want I imagine would be the same as they were on before FFP, so it is something we don't want to risk unless we are in a position close to promotion.

In which case those on high contracts, Danns, Nugent, konch, sledge, kasper etc, are not worth it!

Kasper being the best value for money of those.

He needs to get the job done for me get promotion! (doesn't matter if it is through the playoffs or automatic), then he can be offered the contract he desires.

Until that point has been achieved I see little point in offering him a contract when we haven't achieved promotion we are on the right tracks credit to him.

But we are promotion contenders, football is about taking tough decisions sometimes. If go up as champions he stock could rise massively and he might be on his bike.

I'd be happy to see him given a new deal, we are moving in the right direction all the time and that shows no sign of slowing up.

Interesting.

Think you're overating the PL here, it's not the division it was a few years back, some pretty average squads have stayed up and some some pretty average footballers are career Premier League footballers. If Hull and Cardiff can make a fight of it we can.

Hull publicly made two bids for him!

But we are promotion contenders, football is about taking tough decisions sometimes. If go up as champions he stock could rise massively and he might be on his bike.

I'd be happy to see him given a new deal, we are moving in the right direction all the time and that shows no sign of slowing up.

Think you're overating the PL here, it's not the division it was a few years back, some pretty average squads have stayed up and some some pretty average footballers are career Premier League footballers. If Hull and Cardiff can make a fight of it we can.

On his bike where exactly? the likes of Norwich and Fulham which you alluded too won't take a risk on him as he isn't proven enough, imo the only clubs  which would be interested would be in this division, so really it is a case of wait and see when we get promotion then we can offer him a new contract.

On his bike where exactly? the likes of Norwich and Fulham which you alluded too won't take a risk on him as he isn't proven enough, imo the only clubs  which would be interested would be in this division, so really it is a case of wait and see when we get promotion then we can offer him a new contract.

Who knows? If he takes us up as champions along with the financial restructuring he has had to work under he'll be turning a few charimans heads at bigger clubs than Norwich and Fulham. Even more so as the restrictions of FFP start to really hit home.

The days of the 'chequebook manager' will have all but vanished in 2-3 years. His stock could be huge.

I know most Premier League clubs owners seem to view English managers as contemptible compared to a fancy foriegn name, but a a few wise heads still be in those boardrooms and the appreciation for him will skyrocket if he ends the seaon above Harry Redknapp.

Bizarrely and rather stupidly getting my teams mixed up here, for some reason I thought it was Swansea who made the bids, but you are of course correct. 

I do not watch much Premiership football and none live but it is just the impression I get. The promoted teams who seem to do best are well structured and more importantly seem to be more modern in terms of management, coaching and tactics. 

Bizarrely and rather stupidly getting my teams mixed up here, for some reason I thought it was Swansea who made the bids, but you are of course correct. 

I do not watch much Premiership football and none live but it is just the impression I get. The promoted teams who seem to do best are well structured and more importantly seem to be more modern in terms of management, coaching and tactics. 

Bodes well for us then. We seem to have a working stable structure now and we have a top sports science program being the scenes.

Though tactically you just have find what suits your players the best, be it the Tika Taka Swansea way or the Tony Pulis Stoke way, both can work.

Archived