Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Steam

On 12/09/2016 at 13:29, kingcarr21 said:

Thanks. I did try a few things when i first got it but to no avail. I will follow the step by step on here and see if i get any luck. Really annoyed me that ive paid for it and cant play it

If you want to set up steam game sharing with me, ill download and have a look at it myself. see if i can run it on windows @kingcarr21

18 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:
18 hours ago, Beliall said:

If you want to set up steam game sharing with me, ill download and have a look at it myself. see if i can run it on windows @kingcarr21

I have no idea how to do that. Ive been a gamer all my life but always been a console gamer. Only got my laptop last year so im still new to it all. God i sound like an old man im only 30 lol 

18 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

What are your system specs?

I will have to look when i get home but its got quite good specs. Skyrim works on it no problem. Will have to get back to you with exact specs

1 minute ago, kingcarr21 said:

Well its the same as people used to do on ps4, it comes down to whether you trust me or not, as I need your steam login details to access your account on my pc and authorise it, and you need to do the same on yours with my details, then we can play each other games as long as the other of us is offline. PM me if you want to do it, and if you're not comfortable with a long term share, you can always deactivate me from your end after i have found the problem

4 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

I will have to look when i get home but its got quite good specs. Skyrim works on it no problem. Will have to get back to you with exact specs

If Skyrim works then it should logically be good enough for Fallout 3, but just out of interest what sort of graphical settings are we talking for Skyrim?  If you're running it fine but on quite low settings then the more poorly optimised F3 may simply be too much of a strain on your CPU/GPU setup. Indeed what's even the problem here?  Are you getting into the game and then having it freeze on you or is it giving you a black lifeless screen when you try to open it?

I presume you've updated all your drivers?

I haven't played F3 in a long time and it's not installed on this computer so I can't check how easy it is for this game but have you tried setting the game to minimum specs before trying to open it?  I'm installing it now in case I can find anything to help you but it won't be up and running until I get back from work later.

Of course if all else fails and you're really eager to get the game working then it sometimes helps to completely re-install windows in case it's a problem with a corrupt system file rather than the game itself which is far from the best advice because it's a massive ball-ache - especially if it turns out not to be the cause of the issue - but it's how I got Saints Row 4 working on my computer a while back...

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

If Skyrim works then it should logically be good enough for Fallout 3, but just out of interest what sort of graphical settings are we talking for Skyrim?  If you're running it fine but on quite low settings then the more poorly optimised F3 may simply be too much of a strain on your CPU/GPU setup. Indeed what's even the problem here?  Are you getting into the game and then having it freeze on you or is it giving you a black lifeless screen when you try to open it?

I presume you've updated all your drivers?

I haven't played F3 in a long time and it's not installed on this computer so I can't check how easy it is for this game but have you tried setting the game to minimum specs before trying to open it?  I'm installing it now in case I can find anything to help you but it won't be up and running until I get back from work later.

Of course if all else fails and you're really eager to get the game working then it sometimes helps to completely re-install windows in case it's a problem with a corrupt system file rather than the game itself which is far from the best advice because it's a massive ball-ache - especially if it turns out not to be the cause of the issue - but it's how I got Saints Row 4 working on my computer a while back...

I can't even play it. When I click on it it comes up with the picture of the brotherhood of steel with play, options, data files etc. If I click play it just crashes. I've tried it on lowest specs. It's something to do with Windows as it is a very common problem with anyone not playing it on XP. 

Im interested to see if you get it working when you reinstall it

3 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

I can't even play it. When I click on it it comes up with the picture of the brotherhood of steel with play, options, data files etc. If I click play it just crashes. I've tried it on lowest specs. It's something to do with Windows as it is a very common problem with anyone not playing it on XP. 

Im interested to see if you get it working when you reinstall it

It didn't but I followed the instructions in here to get it working (don't forget to add in your GPU data at the final prefs-editing step):

The first time I opened it after applying the fix it froze the PC but after re-booting and being made to sit through some windows updates it now works albeit with the window border showing - this is quickly fixed by alt-tabbing.  The only problem now is that's all alt-tabbing's useful for - it won't let me actually leave Fallout but if that's the only issue it's a very minor one.  I've not done much play-testing but I can confirm that the autosave feature works so far and I can exit the game then return to my saved file.

Edit: The alt-tab isn't even an issue; you just need to actually set the game to run in a window and add that window to borderless gaming like I should have done in the first place.  Duh. (Borderless gaming app can be found here if you don't already have it.)

7 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

It didn't but I followed the instructions in here to get it working (don't forget to add in your GPU data at the final prefs-editing step):

The first time I opened it after applying the fix it froze the PC but after re-booting and being made to sit through some windows updates it now works albeit with the window border showing - this is quickly fixed by alt-tabbing.  The only problem now is that's all alt-tabbing's useful for - it won't let me actually leave Fallout but if that's the only issue it's a very minor one.  I've not done much play-testing but I can confirm that the autosave feature works so far and I can exit the game then return to my saved file.

Edit: The alt-tab isn't even an issue; you just need to actually set the game to run in a window and add that window to borderless gaming like I should have done in the first place.  Duh. (Borderless gaming app can be found here if you don't already have it.)

I haven't watch the whole vid but from skipping through it i know some of those things i already tried. It does look to be more in depth tho so i will give it a proper watch later and try and get it to work. Didn't get chance to get on it last night.

Thanks for everyone's help. Its much appreciated. I will get there in the end

9 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

I haven't watch the whole vid but from skipping through it i know some of those things i already tried. It does look to be more in depth tho so i will give it a proper watch later and try and get it to work. Didn't get chance to get on it last night.

Thanks for everyone's help. Its much appreciated. I will get there in the end

Update:  I've been playing it again today and it definitely works fine once you follow the steps in that video and use borderless gaming.  Not had any problems loading saves and haven't had any crashes yet in a few hours of gameplay.

27 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Update:  I've been playing it again today and it definitely works fine once you follow the steps in that video and use borderless gaming.  Not had any problems loading saves and haven't had any crashes yet in a few hours of gameplay.

Ive just sat down to try and do this. Will follow the video and let you know the result

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Followed it step by step and it still doesn't work

edit. I remember you saying it froze for you. I'm having to reboot as it froze on me aswel

YES ITS WORKING. I changed the 64 bit file instead of the 32 bit file. Once I changed that it works fine. I also had to put it on windowed version but that doesn't bother me. Thank you so much for everyone's help. Extra thanks to Carl the llama for that video. God I love Foxestalk. 

Can anyone recommend any decent steam games for mac? All I currently have is fm but my computer  sounds like it's going to take off every time I play it the fan goes crazy, I know it's not a gaming laptop but was just after some go to games suited for the mac

9 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

Can anyone recommend any decent steam games for mac? All I currently have is fm but my computer  sounds like it's going to take off every time I play it the fan goes crazy, I know it's not a gaming laptop but was just after some go to games suited for the mac 

Image result for gaming on a mac

2 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

YES ITS WORKING. I changed the 64 bit file instead of the 32 bit file. Once I changed that it works fine. I also had to put it on windowed version but that doesn't bother me. Thank you so much for everyone's help. Extra thanks to Carl the llama for that video. God I love Foxestalk. 

Beautiful. Don't forget to install the borderless gaming app I linked above - turns a window into full screen. :thumbup:

10 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Sorted again. Hopefully I don't hav to do all that every time I restart my laptop. In fact I'm gonna do a test and now quit off the game and restart laptop

Keep us updated how it went, I'll be play a bit of Fallout 3 to kill the time while I wait.

Archived