Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Steam

Just posted this but can't see it now? Maybe I put it in the wrong forum?

Eh up.

Bit late to the world of Steam. Or rather re-discovering Steam.

So I've been through the motions with this new Windows 8 laptop and made it look a bit more old skool ie got it to boot straight to desktop and got myself a TP 'start' button.

Aside from the keyboard being off-centre quite a way, which is a bit odd, its been good. I've got a load of assignments written and the build quality is actually superb (its a Lenovo for anyone who is interested)

Anyway, so I've got steam and had a bit of free time earlier, was having a look on there. Anyone have any recommendations on an rpg/strategy front? Don't want to spend a fortune. A friend suggested I should ask around for any 'spare' steam codes anyone has? Anyway, if anyone has any spares, feel free to PM me with them, I'd be very grateful.

Otherwise, any recommendations? 

You put it in General Football and Sport! Anyway, copied and pasted my reply from the other topic.

Coincidentally, I've pretty recently also got a Lenovo laptop as well, they are nice bits of kit. Are you using Classic Shell for your start button? It's a bit of freeware, and I bloody love it, as it essentially changes the look of Windows 8 into, well Windows 7 really, boot to desktop and a Win 7 style start button.

On the Steam front, if you're after a good strategy game, I'd recommend the 2 Xcom games, Enemy Unknown and it's expansion pack Enemy Within, both are excellent, a really good return for the Xcom games, things get pretty tough at times, and it's entertaining naming all your troops, only to watch in horror when it goes horribly wrong and "Anna Kournikova" gets torn to bits by aliens. It's probably up your street if you enjoy Age of Empires, Command and Conquer etc. Might not be your thing if you prefer more hardcore stuff like Rome Total War etc though. 

Also, on the Steam front, keep an eye out for sales. There's 4 a year, and some of the discounts are ridiculous. Picked up the new Tomb Raider for a fiver in the last sale, very nice.

Shame you missed the sales, always some great bargains there. The older Total War games can be picked up for less than £10, Command & Conquer for around £15. If you want good RPGs, the Baldur's Gate games have been remastered, or if you like thoughtful games without great graphics, then the Avernum series of RPGs come recommended, most less than a fiver. Atom Zombie Smasher is great fun and has a free demo to try.

Civ 5 is always on offer lol

Napoleon Total War probably doesn't cost much, or Medieval 2. Give them a go and if you like them get Shogun 2 if it'll run.

If you want an RPG in the traditional sense I'd look at Baldurs Gate Enhanced, Banner Saga or maybe Bastion (very beautiful, unique game.) There's a lot of quirky indie games I can see appealing to you.

There's also a lot of free-to-play on Steam nowdays. Not old stuff either, the like of Rift and Planetside (I think? The shooter Haydos likes?) are only a couple years old and are good timesinks. In fact, between those and Team Fortress you could happily never pay for owt.

Civ 5 is always on offer lol

Napoleon Total War probably doesn't cost much, or Medieval 2. Give them a go and if you like them get Shogun 2 if it'll run.

If you want an RPG in the traditional sense I'd look at Baldurs Gate Enhanced, Banner Saga or maybe Bastion (very beautiful, unique game.) There's a lot of quirky indie games I can see appealing to you.

There's also a lot of free-to-play on Steam nowdays. Not old stuff either, the like of Rift and Planetside (I think? The shooter Haydos likes?) are only a couple years old and are good timesinks. In fact, between those and Team Fortress you could happily never pay for owt.

Civ 5 has always seemed too much effort for what it's worth. Depending on who you're playing with it could literally take a day to play.

Totally agree on the Total War games. A strategy game that you can play without too much of a mental strain and the battles are generally very fun. Definitely but Napoleon first, cracking game and I plan on downloading it onto my computer next time there's a sale and its on for less than a fiver. I'd rate it as one of the best of the series, but I do like the gunplay rather than just swords and bows. Shogun may run but I don't think a laptop could run Rome II very well. If you want a more strategic game, go for Victorian 2 or Crusader Kings 2, very intense strategies.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone on here had any dealings with Steam Support? If so how long do they usually take to resolve your query?

I seem to remember it taking about 24 hours last time I had to use them. That was a few years back though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone noticed that steam has been hacked?

Logged in and I was in someone else's account and it kept changed every time I refreshed.

The Steam forums have been exploding with loads of people having the same thing happen.

Anyone noticed that steam has been hacked?

Logged in and I was in someone else's account and it kept changed every time I refreshed.

The Steam forums have been exploding with loads of people having the same thing happen.

Mine seems fine

I had problems a couple of weeks back...Each time I started 'Steam' it'd take me to the 'login' screen which wouldn't accept my password. Changed password and was able to play, but the game dropped out at the first 'save'....Restart Steam, get the 'login' screen again and NEW password wasn't accepted....change password AGAIN, play, save and the same thing happened.

Support wasn't of much use at all. In the end I bit the bullet and opened a completely new user account, which works OK, but I've lost my saves on older FMs !

Why would you lose your saves? They're stored on your computer and aren't linked to your Steam account at all.... if anything you'd lose all of the games you had (so how did you continue playing FM if it was linked to your other account?)

• 5 months later...

Can anyone recommend any decent games on steam? trying to find a new RPG to play and wouldnt mind playing something a little older. Was looking at the original Fallout has anyone played it? any good? Any other recommendations would be much appreciated

Can anyone recommend any decent games on steam? trying to find a new RPG to play and wouldnt mind playing something a little older. Was looking at the original Fallout has anyone played it? any good? Any other recommendations would be much appreciated

The older Fallouts are very good, but quite different to the 3 and 4 1st person. They isometric, turn based with action points. Think x-com in term of gameplay, but Baldurs Gate in terms of graphical style.

You will get a lot of background story though and meet at least one character who is in FO3! :D

Don't bother with Fallout Tactics though, the lack of a decent story makes it hard to motivate yourself to continue.

If you fancy something similar in a fantasy genre, try the Avernum games... they really are good old fashioned rpgs and good value.

Archived