Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

I've got a Canon Pixma MP500 multifunction printer/scanner thingy that I want to be able to print to wirelessly from my laptop, so I don't have to be 'tied' to it with a short lead whenever I want to print. The Canon is bluetooth enabled and it appears (although the Canon website is vague, to say the least) that with a Bluetooth Adaptor I could just plug that into a USB port on the lappy and print. Is this right or am I missing the point in a big way?

Which leads onto my next question... the 'official' Canon bluetooth adaptor (BU-20) is £49 (haven't yet checked e-Bay, to be fair) and, being a tight git, I'd much rather find a cheaper alternative. Is it likely that another adapator would work or will Canon have 'rigged it' so only their adaptor is recognised?

Any advice much appreciated.

I have a family tree in pdf format that I need to alter does anyone know a programme I can open it in, or where online I can get it converted to a useable document, or dare I say it download pdf dreator free?

what do you want to do with it?

A PDF isn't really meant to be edited, in fact depending on the options it was created with some can't be edited at all. You would need something like Adobe Illustrator to be able to edit it.

It's really more of a readonly kind of format though.

You can alter text and save it very easily in this, Ive tried it.

I'm sure you can but I'm trying hard not to download stuff I don't intend/can't keep. I'll bear it in mind if I can't find another solution, thanks for your help.

what do you want to do with it?

A PDF isn't really meant to be edited, in fact depending on the options it was created with some can't be edited at all. You would need something like Adobe Illustrator to be able to edit it.

It's really more of a readonly kind of format though.

i'm not sure that's true, well it's not in my case.

fair enough. In my industry we use PDFs to produce print ready versions of documents or stuff to go online that people can read, never stuff that needs editing, suppose there are different uses though. You can edit text and edit/remove/insert pages with Acrobat (full version, not the reader) or if you need to edit graphics something like Illustrator would do the job.

ok, my primary connection: usb cable modem has a speed of 10 mbps

my secondary connection: realtek ethernet has a speed of 100 mbps

wtf is this all about?

seeing as i cant get internet at all without my primary connection, i'm fooked!

(not bad at all for surfing the net but as far as playing console games over the net, forget it! can anyone tell me what to do?)

you can't.. it's 10Mbps as that's the connection to the internet you are paying for. Even if you had gigabit ethernet (1000Mbps) it would still only download from the internet at 10Mbps. It's gonna be some years off before we can access the net at 100Mbps..

edit: and 10Mbps is more than enough to do anything over the net, including playing console games! I have a 10Mbps at home and a 4Mbps at work, can't tell any difference, they are both the same for normal usage.

Edited by danny.

you can't.. it's 10Mbps as that's the connection to the internet you are paying for. Even if you had gigabit ethernet (1000Mbps) it would still only download from the internet at 10Mbps. It's gonna be some years off before we can access the net at 100Mbps..

edit: and 10Mbps is more than enough to do anything over the net, including playing console games! I have a 10Mbps at home and a 4Mbps at work, can't tell any difference, they are both the same for normal usage.

cheers danny. the root of the problem must be something else.

Can anyone help? I downloaded 4 on demand and it worked when i stream the programmes but now all of a sudden you can only hear the sound but not seen any picture, I'm a windows vista user but i dont get why all of a sudden there is a poblem! please help if you can thanks